My chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LET'S GET IT

My chances

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Re: My chances

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Both your GPA and LSAT are below median at all three of those schools so chances are not good. With that GPA you would need something like a 168-169 for WUSTL or ND, and more like a 172-173 for NU.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Hey everyone. New on TLS and wondering about my chances at Notre Dame, Northwestern, and WASHU. I have done the predictor but I have been led to believe that is not very accurate and would like to hear it from people. LSAT: 165 GPA between 3 and 3.1 most likely. Really solid work history but probably below averge softs besides that. Non URM. Let me know what other info would help. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Poor at Notre Dame. Impossible at Northwestern, slightly less impossible at WashU.

Kick your LSAT up a notch if you want to attend these schools. Especially do so considering Notre Dame and WashU are best attended with scholarships.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 am

isuperserial wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Hey everyone. New on TLS and wondering about my chances at Notre Dame, Northwestern, and WASHU. I have done the predictor but I have been led to believe that is not very accurate and would like to hear it from people. LSAT: 165 GPA between 3 and 3.1 most likely. Really solid work history but probably below averge softs besides that. Non URM. Let me know what other info would help. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Poor at Notre Dame. Impossible at Northwestern, slightly less impossible at WashU.

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:21 am

isuperserial wrote:

Kick your LSAT up a notch if you want to attend these schools. Especially do so considering Notre Dame and WashU are best attended with scholarships.

Yep. You need to retake and get another 4-5 points to make WUSTL or ND worth attending, and probably another 7-8 to get into NW territory.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 am

With a 3.0/165, you very likely will not get into any school with an LSAT median of 166+

And if by chance you are "lucky" enough to snag one of the WUSTL/ND sticker seats, you should not attend. T30 is not worth sticker. The probable outcomes do not justify it.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am

Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Thanks for everyone's feedback. A couple more questions then since it seems my chances are bleak at the schools I would like to attend: 1. I have only taken the LSAT once (December 2012) and my studying was primarly done from a princeton review book for about two months maybe an hour or two per day. What other study methods would you guys recommend to possibly bump me up 3 or 4 points? I don't have a lot of money to spend. 2. Are any of the lower ranked Chicago area law schools even worth attending with a large scolly? 3. Would an addendum help? I am 27 years old, went to college for 2 years after high school and played basketball and made very mediocre grades. Quit school and just started back last August but am now making solid grades. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to try to help me.

1. You only need two books for a good foundation; Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible. If you study those methods, you'll have good strategies. Second, practice these methods by buying actual LSAT tests. You can get parts of the "ten more" series on Amazon. In all, this could quite feasibly cost you about a hundred dollars and change your life.

2. That depends on your definition of "worth attending" as well as your definition of "large scholly". With a large scholarship, U of Illinois becomes a pretty delicious option. Also worth considering is Iowa, they send 10% of their class to Illinois to work, and they have a pretty good employment rate.

3. Probably not. "I fucked up" is not a legitimate cause for an addendum. If you had a medical condition that inhibited your ability to attend class for a semester, or if someone close to you passed away right before finals one semester, then you might be able to explain that away, but a solid two years of underperformance is just a solid two years of underperformance. They'll glean that much from glancing at your transcript. That being said, I'm no expert in addendums and someone more qualified than myself should probably answer this particular question.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm

isuperserial wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Thanks for everyone's feedback. A couple more questions then since it seems my chances are bleak at the schools I would like to attend: 1. I have only taken the LSAT once (December 2012) and my studying was primarly done from a princeton review book for about two months maybe an hour or two per day. What other study methods would you guys recommend to possibly bump me up 3 or 4 points? I don't have a lot of money to spend. 2. Are any of the lower ranked Chicago area law schools even worth attending with a large scolly? 3. Would an addendum help? I am 27 years old, went to college for 2 years after high school and played basketball and made very mediocre grades. Quit school and just started back last August but am now making solid grades. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to try to help me.

1. You only need two books for a good foundation; Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible. If you study those methods, you'll have good strategies. Second, practice these methods by buying actual LSAT tests. You can get parts of the "ten more" series on Amazon. In all, this could quite feasibly cost you about a hundred dollars and change your life.

Eh, I'd suggest Manhattan, but going to the LSAT forum on here can help a ton in general. PS isn't bad by any stretch.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

Eh, I'd suggest Manhattan, but going to the LSAT forum on here can help a ton in general. PS isn't bad by any stretch.

I've never tried Manhattan, so you very well may be right.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm

I did powerscore and the materials/PTs helped, although I found the class largely unhelpful since most kids were targeting 160+ and I was going for 170+, so I stopped going after week 6. Probably worth the $1300, but only as a motivator.

For Northwestern, if you have an interesting career path and good WE and score 172+ it could mitigate a 3.1/3.2 if you get lucky. If you don't have strong WE during the years you took off and you are already 27, you probably don't want to wait another couple years to apply.. so in that case I'd cross off NU.

UMinnesota doesn't seem to enforce a GPA floor with above median LSATs, so thats definitely viable with a higher score. I would only attend with a decent scholarship though.

I know little about Notre Dame admissions beyond LSP. I'm guessing you have to target carefully since your GPA/undergrad history will be problematic at a lot of places.

Return to “What are my chances?”