A 28 year old engineer determined to go to law school

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kronk

Re: A 28 year old engineer determined to go to law school

Postby Kronk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Dr. Dre has some of the most short-sighted advice on this site. It includes telling someone they did poorly for their numbers w/r/t to scholarships because he did better with the same-ish numbers. Dr. Dre is an AA male, the other person was a white female. GOOD COMPARISON.

This guy seems on a perfect IP track, and IP is doing VERY well. He has a bright legal career ahead of him, unlike so many people on this site. This is the one time when I think taking the LSAT and testing out the waters is a very, very good idea.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) You realize you'll have do real work eventually right? I would think long and hard about if you are just trying to stay in school longer. Because someone racking up 2 terminal degrees often have that sort of thinking.

2) Patent law in Asia isn't really a realistic career plan. All the litigation someone witha JD would do, is based in the United States. And I don't think anyone prosecutes patents in Asia for the USPTO. There is probably some sort of patent system in China, but I assume you'd need a Chinese degree.

3) Law is boring, don't go into thinking it will be some high paying wonderland.

4) With your engineering credentials your earnings will be pretty high. I'd honestly wait a couple years 2-3 to see if you end up liking your job and your career path.

5) If you do go to law school, you should probably go for free. Patent firms will love your engineering credentials and will probably still be after you even if you went to a lesser school. So I'd aim for a full ride scholarship.

#goodAdvice

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Kronk wrote:Dr. Dre has some of the most short-sighted advice on this site. It includes telling someone they did poorly for their numbers w/r/t to scholarships because he did better with the same-ish numbers. Dr. Dre is an AA male, the other person was a white female. GOOD COMPARISON.

This guy seems on a perfect IP track, and IP is doing VERY well. He has a bright legal career ahead of him, unlike so many people on this site. This is the one time when I think taking the LSAT and testing out the waters is a very, very good idea.

IP may be doing "very well" in comparison to other areas of law, but it sounds like OP is already in a position to have a great career job. Not sure law school will ultimately help him with that. See also, DF post.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Kronk wrote:Dr. Dre has some of the most short-sighted advice on this site. It includes telling someone they did poorly for their numbers w/r/t to scholarships because he did better with the same-ish numbers. Dr. Dre is an AA male, the other person was a white female. GOOD COMPARISON.

IP may be doing "very well" in comparison to other areas of law, but it sounds like OP is already in a position to have a great career job. Not sure law school will ultimately help him with that. See also, DF post.

His reasons for wanting law strike me as naive. But if he really wants to be a lawyer, someone will probably pay him 200K+ plus for the foreseeable future to be one.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Lawquacious wrote:

Well I agree, I think about 10% of the people that go to law school should go, because it's bland, boring, and overall shitty, and there are far better jobs outside the legal field. But not because the job market is doing poorly like Dre was saying.

I don't know if everyone else has noticed, but most of the people coming on here asking for advice aren't going to de dissuaded by "law is boring." Most of the people here really, really want to go and are pretty set on it. I know I was. So telling an engineer, with a great tech background and a bright future in IP to not go to school because the job market is bad is silly, IMO.

But I agree with DF, it's not fun, you'll probably have an awesome career already. But if OP is set on law, he's one of the lucky ones that I would actually encourage to go.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

His reasons for wanting law strike me as naive. But if he really wants to be a lawyer, someone will probably pay him 200K+ plus for the foreseeable future to be one.

With a PhD from UPENN in chemical engineering and work experience for Apple computers I think someone will pay him 200k+ for the foreseeable future without law school...

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

With a PhD from UPENN in chemical engineering and work experience for Apple computers I think someone will pay him 200k+ for the foreseeable future without law school...

I'm not sure they routinely get paid 200K+.

Return to “What are my chances?”