3.70/174. Unorthodox story.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
npvnegative

3.70/174. Unorthodox story.

Postby npvnegative » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm

-Decent public undergrad
-Likely below average reccs
-3 years work experience upon matriculation
-Masters degree

I am posting, because I am concerned that my story may devalue the numbers. In undergrad, I finished 5 full-time semesters and completed the degree part-time in order to work (financial reasons). Also, I have two cancels before the 174. I am looking for Duke, but hoping that Columbia or Penn ED is a possibility. Do you all think admissions boards will look at my record as inconsistent/flaky?

LSATSCORES2012

Re: 3.70/174. Unorthodox story.

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:20 pm

npvnegative wrote:-Decent public undergrad
-Masters degree

I am posting, because I am concerned that my story may devalue the numbers. In undergrad, I finished 5 full-time semesters and completed the degree part-time in order to work (financial reasons). Also, I have two cancels before the 174. I am looking for Duke, but hoping that Columbia or Penn ED is a possibility. Do you all think admissions boards will look at my record as inconsistent/flaky?

Please don't ED at Penn or Columbia - I am almost certain that you'll be in at Columbia RD, and if not then definitely NYU. I think that softs can have some impact on admission, but usually not a significant one, and yours are by no means bad, especially with the work experience and the masters.

Harvard is worth the app fee.

If you apply to Penn ED you will be admitted unless you're a murderer.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
-Masters degree

Please don't ED at Penn or Columbia - I am almost certain that you'll be in at Columbia RD, and if not then definitely NYU. I think that softs can have some impact on admission, but usually not a significant one, and yours are by no means bad, especially with the work experience and the masters.

:shock: I can't believe he only has around a quarter chance of being admitted at H. I bet a 3.8 would make things substantially different.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:23 am

DON'T ED. You stand great chances at great schools regular decision. You can easily have at least 5 of the top 10 fighting over you financially. You might want Columbia, but if Duke comes with with a close to full ride, you might want that over C, and you'd be locked in. You would get offered good $ from the bottom t14, and admission to possibly all three of CCN.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 am

qwertyboard wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
-Masters degree

:shock: I can't believe he only has around a quarter chance of being admitted at H. I bet a 3.8 would make things substantially different.

A 177 would also make things substantially different.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 am

You didn't mention it but I think you would be a strong candidate for a full ride at Northwestern.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

qwertyboard wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
-Masters degree

Odds for H would actually be quite a bit better today with the decline in apps over the last few cycles.

npvnegative

Postby npvnegative » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone, this is reassuring. I appreciate the advice on not going ED, I think I will RD and see how it plays out.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 pm

npvnegative wrote:Thanks everyone, this is reassuring. I appreciate the advice on not going ED, I think I will RD and see how it plays out.

your story is not as unusual as you might think -- in fact, could be a positive more than a negative, as long as you challenged yourself.

the cancelled scores will have no impact below HYS. I think harvard is a little prickly about retakes but that won't matter anywhere near as much as your actual score. Still, I wouldn't count on Harvard ; the 3.7 is low for hys but fine for CCN and below.

Return to “What are my chances?”