176, 3.7 LSAC GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PetriRo

New

176, 3.7 LSAC GPA

Post by PetriRo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey Everybody,

I'm currently a junior at an Ivy League school studying Computer Science, and I was wondering what my chances would be if I applied to law school next cycle. I retook a 174 and got a 176, and my GPA is hovering around a 3.7.

I'm aiming for the top four law schools, and am wondering what my chances would be now and after working for a year / two years!

Thanks so much!

vzapana

Silver

Re: 176, 3.7 LSAC GPA

Post by vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

PetriRo wrote:Hey Everybody,

I'm currently a junior at an Ivy League school studying Computer Science, and I was wondering what my chances would be if I applied to law school next cycle. I retook a 174 and got a 176, and my GPA is hovering around a 3.7.

I'm aiming for the top four law schools, and am wondering what my chances would be now and after working for a year / two years!

Thanks so much!
what are your softs? i can see getting hls/cls easily (barring poor LORs/seriously underwhelming personal statement), but sls/yls are harder to get. those schools would really pay attention to the soft stuff.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Get your gpa up as high as possible please please please. Take easy classes, do whatever it takes

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks so much!
vzapana's probably correct. I have very similar stats (3.69/177) and ended up with H and Columbia, reject from Yale, waiting on S (assuming WL/reject).

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I'd say you're in at CCN... Harvard is a possibility given the Ivy undergrad but not very likely.

If you can get that GPA up to 3.75, it'll help your chances at H and Chicago tremendously.

With your current GPA:

With a 3.75:

With a 3.77:

Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PetriRo

New

Post by PetriRo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 pm

In terms of softs, I did/am doing research and am working this summer in the financial industry at a well-known firm. Unfortunately a majority of my time on campus is devoted to academia; I am doing two majors and CS is a killer.

Damn! The data speaks for itself, I'm going to have to get cracking to raise my GPA.

Thanks so much! All this information is gold

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 pm

also remember that you can take community college classes to boost your GPA so long as you haven't graduated. Once you graduate the GPA is locked in, wish I had known this so be sure to take full advantage and maximize your options!

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm

radar714 wrote:also remember that you can take community college classes to boost your GPA so long as you haven't graduated. Once you graduate the GPA is locked in, wish I had known this so be sure to take full advantage and maximize your options!
But a strong summer internship can mean more than the at most 0.05 boost to your gpa. So weigh your options carefully

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:42 pm

vzapana wrote:
radar714 wrote:also remember that you can take community college classes to boost your GPA so long as you haven't graduated. Once you graduate the GPA is locked in, wish I had known this so be sure to take full advantage and maximize your options!
But a strong summer internship can mean more than the at most 0.05 boost to your gpa. So weigh your options carefully
Really? I would think that bumping up to a 3.75 would be much more advantageous than an internship. Internships aren't impressive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 pm

vzapana wrote:

Thanks so much!
what are your softs? i can see getting hls/cls easily (barring poor LORs/seriously underwhelming personal statement), but sls/yls are harder to get. those schools would really pay attention to the soft stuff.
YLS and SLS also have a pretty firm 3.8 GPA floor.

Which leads me to the comment about the internship. Internships are not strong softs. Bumping a GPA by .05 beats the hell out of the usual "strong" undergrad internship.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Yeah, you are near the point where gaming your GPA would make a significant impact on admissions. For scholarships at CCN and down and for YS

Ivy + CS will probably help out on the softs front already

HCCN should be in the bag.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm

i'm going to stick to what i said, only because i'm not convinced he has strong enough softs atm to make the 3.75 gpa look good to sls or yls. sls has been taking people as low as 3.5 gpa, according to lsn, and that's probably because softs really are much more important to the school. yls isn't going to be easy with either 3.7 or 3.75, but no softs will definitely be a death knell. if he had spectacular softs in his pocket, i'd agree with the gpa strategy. atm, though, i think the optimal strategy is get a stellar internship and kill senior year.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 am

vzapana wrote:i'm going to stick to what i said, only because i'm not convinced he has strong enough softs atm to make the 3.75 gpa look good to sls or yls. sls has been taking people as low as 3.5 gpa, according to lsn, and that's probably because softs really are much more important to the school. yls isn't going to be easy with either 3.7 or 3.75, but no softs will definitely be a death knell. if he had spectacular softs in his pocket, i'd agree with the gpa strategy. atm, though, i think the optimal strategy is get a stellar internship and kill senior year.

You're missing the point. Internships aren't good softs. If you want WE, go work. If you want TFA/whatever, do it. No one cares if you answered phones for two months in DC. I honestly believe that adcoms rank internships below WE, even if that WE is Starbucks.

OP, take a year or two off, work in Computer Science, drink beer, and try to get laid as often as possible. Law School will still be there. Take your time. Either way, you'll have fantastic options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 am

deputydog wrote:
vzapana wrote:i'm going to stick to what i said, only because i'm not convinced he has strong enough softs atm to make the 3.75 gpa look good to sls or yls. sls has been taking people as low as 3.5 gpa, according to lsn, and that's probably because softs really are much more important to the school. yls isn't going to be easy with either 3.7 or 3.75, but no softs will definitely be a death knell. if he had spectacular softs in his pocket, i'd agree with the gpa strategy. atm, though, i think the optimal strategy is get a stellar internship and kill senior year.

You're missing the point. Internships aren't good softs. If you want WE, go work. If you want TFA/whatever, do it. No one cares if you answered phones for two months in DC. I honestly believe that adcoms rank internships below WE, even if that WE is Starbucks.
I don't buy this. I'm a K-JD accepted at all 3 of HYS, and I believe my internships--all of which I think could be objectively described as very impressive--played a big role in my success. JS had lots of questions about them in my interview, and seemed very excited by them.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

(That said, I think the numbers pretty convincingly show that the OP could greatly improve his/her chances by raising his/her GPA .05-.1 points.)

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 am

tirakon wrote:
deputydog wrote:

I don't buy this. I'm a K-JD accepted at all 3 of HYS, and I believe my internships--all of which I think could be objectively described as very impressive--played a big role in my success. JS had lots of questions about them in my interview, and seemed very excited by them.

(That said, I think the numbers pretty convincingly show that the OP could greatly improve his/her chances by raising his/her GPA .05-.1 points.)
Just post your stats, bro.

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 am

deputydog wrote:
tirakon wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Just post your stats, bro.
174/3.9.

Pretty strong, but also pretty run of the mill for HS and certainly wouldn't turn heads at Yale.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 am

I love that stupid shit. "I really think my softs made a difference", then posts a 3.9/174. Fuck off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

NoodleyOne wrote:I love that stupid shit. "I really think my softs made a difference", then posts a 3.9/174. Fuck off.
INORITE?

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm

OP, those are my stats exactly from this cycle. No Y or S for me, but H on down worked out. I've been out of school a few more years though and have some really unique work experience in a non-legal field, which I think helped. Just do what you can to be unique in your essays and letters of rec and you'll be fine. H is always a tossup but you'll be in the game. The ones below HYS should be right in your wheelhouse

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 pm

3.75/177 here. WL at Y, rejected at S, in at H and below.

Like others have said, you're probably safe at CCN with a decent shot at H. Really try to keep that GPA over 3.7.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Why do people poast stats like this? Go burn in a fucking fire bro

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Why do people poast stats like this? Go burn in a fucking fire bro

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am

Had a 176/3.76 and ended up with ccn but not h, so I disagree that H is in the bag. I think leaving a grad degree early hurt me, but a phd dropout just became dean of NYU law so maybe that wasn't it.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 6:21 am

deputydog wrote:Internships aren't impressive.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

deputydog wrote:
vzapana wrote:
Really? I would think that bumping up to a 3.75 would be much more advantageous than an internship. Internships aren't impressive.
this is major horseshit

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”