D1 athlete Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mswashington

New

D1 athlete

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I have sat down with a dean of admissions at a state law school and they have informed me that when looking at applications they do take into account athletes, because they know how time consuming it is having to commit to athletics year around. My gpa is not high only a 2.8 and my diagnostic test was a 155 with not much studying at all. If I can score around a 158-160 will the fact that I was a D1 athlete my entire collegiate career be able to make up for some of my poor gpa?

RELIC

Bronze

Re: D1 athlete

Post by RELIC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Honestly, no it won't help much. Law school admissions heavily weights GPA and LSAT Score over other factors.

The only thing that might save you is if you are a minority...

mswashington

New

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 pm

so you think it would be a waste to even apply? How high of an LSAT score would I need to try and balance it out?

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm

mswashington wrote:so you think it would be a waste to even apply? How high of an LSAT score would I need to try and balance it out?

What school?

mswashington

New

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Seattle, University of Oregon, and Roger Williams

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 pm

mswashington wrote:Seattle, University of Oregon, and Roger Williams

I think you can definitely sneak into these schools with a 160 LSAT.
But you said you've done minimal studying--155 is a nice place to start. One can definitely improve more than a few points on dat LSAT.
Last edited by banana$$stand on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I think adcomms view it differently if it is a time consuming sport like football versus some bullshit made up sport like crew or something.

mswashington

New

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I think adcomms view it differently if it is a time consuming sport like football versus some bullshit made up sport like crew or something.
its cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track, is that a bull shit sport?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:34 pm

mswashington wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I think adcomms view it differently if it is a time consuming sport like football versus some bullshit made up sport like crew or something.
its cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track, is that a bull shit sport?
Pretty much, any nat'l titles/all american status, etc? The most important consideration in admissions is LSAT/GPA and URM Status.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fluffythepenguin

New

Post by fluffythepenguin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm

If your diagnostic was 155 after just a little studying, you should be aiming for 170+ on the real thing. Don't sell yourself short.

Also, are you an URM?

mswashington

New

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

yeah i've been an all american a few times, but i don't think thats really going to do anything at all.
no im not an URM

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm

mswashington wrote:yeah i've been an all american a few times, but i don't think thats really going to do anything at all.
no im not an URM
Excelling at something is definitely more impressive than just a run of the mill soft...You may outperform your numbers a little but nothing substantial, you really need to rock the LSAT, check out the prep forums and devote 3+ months of hardcore studying.

mswashington

New

Post by mswashington » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
mswashington wrote:yeah i've been an all american a few times, but i don't think thats really going to do anything at all.
no im not an URM
Excelling at something is definitely more impressive than just a run of the mill soft...You may outperform your numbers a little but nothing substantial, you really need to rock the LSAT, check out the prep forums and devote 3+ months of hardcore studying.
I am setting myself up to take it in June so if it does not work out as planned I can retake it in October before sending in applications. I am also enrolled in a Testmasters class. Thank you for the feedback

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 am

mswashington wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
no im not an URM
I am setting myself up to take it in June so if it does not work out as planned I can retake it in October before sending in applications. I am also enrolled in a Testmasters class. Thank you for the feedback
I am also taking in June and I am also in a Testmasters class. If you do ALL the homework and go through ALL the practice tests, there is no reason why you can't improve by 10 points. That will open a hell of a lot more doors for you than any extra-curricular.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

D1 athlete here. My cycle went according to my numbers.

Greyhound42

New

Post by Greyhound42 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Some schools' applications wanted to know this specifically, and the fact that I spent 40+ hours training each week for a few years as a DI athlete (also running), I think it looks similar to other softs -- shows some commitment, hard work, etc.
My cycle was pretty predictable based on my numbers, still.
I could see it being a big boost if Manti Te'o or Geno Smith, but otherwise probably not.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I'll share my experience fwiw.

I was also a D1 athlete, first team AA, etc. To the schools I applied to, I was generally in the median with LSAT and about 0.3-0.4 below the 25th percentile for GPA.

I was wl by 2, I withdrew
Rejected by 1
Admitted to 3
And I've yet to hear back from 2

I am not urm, I have no other particularly strong softs.

A friend in my year and school was also D1 with me. He made the Beijing Games, he's older than me but we finished school at the same time due to his time off. He was below the 25th percentile for both GPA / LSAT by 0.3-0.4 / 4-5. To the same 8 schools I'm talking about he was

Reject by 6
Admit to 1
Yet to hear from 1

We both applied to other schools but these are the 8 we had in common.

Although the news may seem grim, please take away the positive point of my message, he and I beat the odds given that our scores were significantly below the 25th percentile on one or both GPA/LSAT and got acceptances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am

no im not an URM
So judging by your area of preference, xc/track, non-urm status...Jordan Hasay in the house?!?!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
no im not an URM
So judging by your area of preference, xc/track, non-urm status...Jordan Hasay in the house?!?!
Naw, Jordan is from CA and goes to school in OR; OP's name is "MsWashington."

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Yukos wrote:
no im not an URM
Lol, how come we are all D1 track/xc athletes. In my experience with D1 girls teams, the distribution of attractiveness is heavily bimodal

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Yukos wrote:
no im not an URM
Lol, how come we are all D1 track/xc athletes. In my experience with D1 girls teams, the distribution of attractiveness is heavily bimodal
Knowing you, I'm sure you tested this theory extensively.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:21 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Yukos wrote:
no im not an URM

I think the attractiveness of girls D1 xc/track teams is skewed heavily toward the higher end. I mean, you are limiting the distribution pool to extremely athletic and fit girls. Yes, some (far tooo too many) suffer eating disorders - but for the most part its a pretty attractive crew.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 pm

(doods who judge women based on outward appearances)

lol at you little plebs

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Tom Joad wrote:(doods who judge women based on outward appearances)

lol at you little plebs
Its more judging outward appearances based on outward appearances.

But, back on topic OP, my cycle also went according to my numbers. I wasn't an all-star in college, but I scored/medaled at my conference meets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”