Splitter: 3.3 with 178

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
karmodic

Splitter: 3.3 with 178

Postby karmodic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 pm

What are my chances?

Went to Yale undergrad, 4 years WE on gay rights legislation lobbying / advocacy

txdude45

Re: Splitter: 3.3 with 178

Postby txdude45 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 pm

http://www.mylsn.info/index.php

I'd link you to some results, but I tried 3 times and got nothing. Something may be wrong with the site right now.

You're definitely good everywhere up to the middle T14. You'll probably get some of SHCCN as well. Yale is a no go.

Also: Are you a URM (AA, NA, MA, PR)? That would change Yale pretty dramatically.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 pm

I think you're into most of the T-14 with money, CCN down. Realistically, Harvard is probably out, even with Y undergrad and work experience. Unfortunately, it's extremely rare for them to go below that 3.5 GPA floor (even for URMs). Yale and Stanford are also out, even though Yale tends to like their own undergraduates. You might as well throw an app to them though, even for that <2% chance, because you don't want to be asking yourself "what if" 10 years down the lane. Apply early, see what happens. Honestly though, Stanford/Yale/Berkeley are very very big on GPAs so you realistically won't see any acceptances from them.

You're definitely in at CCN though, as everyone with a 3.2+ and a 75%+ LSAT has gotten into Columbia this cycle.

My main question: How on earth did you manage to get a 3.3 at Yale UG?

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:I think you're into most of the T-14 with money, CCN down. Realistically, Harvard is probably out, even with Y undergrad and work experience. Unfortunately, it's extremely rare for them to go below that 3.5 GPA floor (even for URMs). Yale and Stanford are also out, even though Yale tends to like their own undergraduates. You might as well throw an app to them though, even for that <2% chance, because you don't want to be asking yourself "what if" 10 years down the lane. Apply early, see what happens. Honestly though, Stanford/Yale/Berkeley are very very big on GPAs so you realistically won't see any acceptances from them.

You're definitely in at CCN though, as everyone with a 3.2+ and a 75%+ LSAT has gotten into Columbia this cycle.

My main question: How on earth did you manage to get a 3.3 at Yale UG?

Well if anyone needs me I'll be studying for classes/LSAT. I love this site. It's full of random tidbits of motivation.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Yeah...not true about cls.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:28 pm

sinfiery wrote:Yeah...not true about cls.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Lavitz wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Yeah...not true about cls.

CLS is like one of the biggest mysteries to me in terms of T-14 admissions. What exactly do they like in particular? I know what a lot of the other schools look for and particularly like in applicants, but Columbia is such a tough cookie to understand in my eyes. Does anyone have a good understanding of what Columbia highly favors?

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 pm

What's so false about Columbia? Alright, there are like 3 waitlists, but the rest are admits for every 3.2+ GPA and 175+ LSAT applicant. I can't embed images (lack of posts), but barring a few oddball cases, a 3.2+ gpa and a 75%+ LSAT (175) WILL get you into Columbia.

Check mylsn.info as well if you want, Columbia for 175-180 LSAT and 3.2+ GPA is a 93% admit rate, with the rest being WLs. I don't see what's so "not true" about Columbia.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm

True enough, I just let some silly anecdotal evidence sway my opinion

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:What's so false about Columbia? Alright, there are like 3 waitlists, but the rest are admits for every 3.2+ GPA and 175+ LSAT applicant. I can't embed images (lack of posts), but barring a few oddball cases, a 3.2+ gpa and a 75%+ LSAT (175) WILL get you into Columbia.

Check mylsn.info as well if you want, Columbia for 175-180 LSAT and 3.2+ GPA is a 93% admit rate, with the rest being WLs. I don't see what's so "not true" about Columbia.

Don't mind us. We're just the "oddball cases" to which you refer. And this is what you said:
Huey Freeman wrote:everyone with a 3.2+ and a 75%+ LSAT has gotten into Columbia this cycle.

Had you said nobody with those stats was outright rejected yet, you'd be right. But the fact is that we have those stats and did not get into Columbia. Therefore, your statement is not true. That's all we're saying.

bizzybone1313 wrote:CLS is like one of the biggest mysteries to me in terms of T-14 admissions. What exactly do they like in particular? I know what a lot of the other schools look for and particularly like in applicants, but Columbia is such a tough cookie to understand in my eyes. Does anyone have a good understanding of what Columbia highly favors?

Don't know. I heard it was the LSAT, but apparently that's clearly not all that matters. I do know that sinfiery and I both have weak softs and weak undergrads. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:What's so false about Columbia? Alright, there are like 3 waitlists, but the rest are admits for every 3.2+ GPA and 175+ LSAT applicant. I can't embed images (lack of posts), but barring a few oddball cases, a 3.2+ gpa and a 75%+ LSAT (175) WILL get you into Columbia.

Don't mind us. We're just the "oddball cases" to which you refer. And this is what you said:
Huey Freeman wrote:everyone with a 3.2+ and a 75%+ LSAT has gotten into Columbia this cycle.

Had you said nobody with those stats was outright rejected yet, you'd be right. But the fact is that we have those stats and did not get into Columbia. Therefore, your statement is not true. That's all we're saying.

bizzybone1313 wrote:CLS is like one of the biggest mysteries to me in terms of T-14 admissions. What exactly do they like in particular? I know what a lot of the other schools look for and particularly like in applicants, but Columbia is such a tough cookie to understand in my eyes. Does anyone have a good understanding of what Columbia highly favors?

Don't know. I heard it was the LSAT, but apparently that's clearly not all that matters. I do know that sinfiery and I both have weak softs and weak undergrads. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP.

I can see how Columbia wouldn't be too fond of weak undergrads. I haven't checked their website lately, but I don't remember them gloating about drawing people from all types of undergrads as much as other T-14 schools seem to do. I have always seen Columbia as a LSAT whore, but I haven't really been able to figure out much beyond that.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have worded it like that. It gives you a really good shot, but it's not absolute. I'm hoping you guys (Lavitz and Sinfiery) will make it off the waitlist - it looks like you're some of the most qualified people on there.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 am

I have similar numbers (3.32/176). I applied late to pretty much everywhere. Mass waitlists, best offer is 75k at Northwestern. If I applied earlier I probably would have gotten at least one of MVP, but I'm happy with NU on half tuition.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:59 am

Solistus wrote:I have similar numbers (3.32/176). I applied late to pretty much everywhere. Mass waitlists, best offer is 75k at Northwestern. If I applied earlier I probably would have gotten at least one of MVP, but I'm happy with NU on half tuition.

If I were you I would reapply next cycle.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

qwertyboard wrote:
Solistus wrote:I have similar numbers (3.32/176). I applied late to pretty much everywhere. Mass waitlists, best offer is 75k at Northwestern. If I applied earlier I probably would have gotten at least one of MVP, but I'm happy with NU on half tuition.

I don't know about that. 75k at NW is a good outcome for his stats. Hell probably get off some wait lists too

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have worded it like that. It gives you a really good shot, but it's not absolute. I'm hoping you guys (Lavitz and Sinfiery) will make it off the waitlist - it looks like you're some of the most qualified people on there.

Only one person on the graph with below a 3.4 got in. Its misleading to say everyone with a 3.2 or higher got in because there are not many data points applicable to the OP

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Redfactor wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

+1

Strongly disagree with this. As CP said, NU with $75K is a good outcome with those stats. It's actually about as good of an outcome as one could realistically hope for with a ~3.3 GPA.

Solistus, even if you had gotten (or get) one of MVP, it might not have been worth taking. NU places better than Michigan and is roughly equivalent in placement to UVA. TLS's promotion of this stark divide between "MVPB" and "DNCG" is pretty silly, since it has only to do with USNWR rankings instead of placement power. Duke and NU have been beating Michigan handily in job placement and equaling or beating UVA for a while now. Same with Cornell, actually.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Redfactor wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

+1

Strongly disagree with this. As CP said, NU with $75K is a good outcome with those stats. It's actually about as good of an outcome as one could realistically hope for with a ~3.3 GPA.

Solistus, even if you had gotten (or get) one of MVP, it might not have been worth taking. NU places better than Michigan and is roughly equivalent in placement to UVA. TLS's promotion of this stark divide between "MVPB" and "DNCG" is pretty silly, since it has only to do with USNWR rankings instead of placement power. Duke and NU have been beating Michigan handily in job placement and equaling or beating UVA for a while now. Same with Cornell, actually.

Totally agree with bolded.

FWIW, I have very similar numbers to OP and have been waitlisted/held/put into purgatory at most T14s (Columbia!). Although, I got in to GULC ($0) and Chicago ($60,000). I think Splitters' cycles are a little more difficult to predict, but I'd expect OP to get into a few T14s with $ and probably at least one CCN.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Apply to all of the T-14 law schools. Although you'll receive some rejections, you should get plenty of acceptances.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply to all of the T-14 law schools. Although you'll receive some rejections, you should get plenty of acceptances.

+1, although I would disagree a bit with the word "plenty". Although if apps continue to decrease next cycle, schools might really want that LSAT score.

Below are the ED chances for your numbers... but I think you're in at Columbia without an ED since they are known for having a preference for Ivy grads, so it's probably not worth it.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:17 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Apply to all of the T-14 law schools. Although you'll receive some rejections, you should get plenty of acceptances.

+1, although I would disagree a bit with the word "plenty". Although if apps continue to decrease next cycle, schools might really want that LSAT score.

Below are the ED chances for your numbers... but I think you're in at Columbia without an ED since they are known for having a preference for Ivy grads, so it's probably not worth it.

It's interesting how much of a difference ED can make to some schools.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:43 pm

There is a definite boost when a business knows someone will 100% attend and pay sticker.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 am

sinfiery wrote:There is a definite boost when a business knows someone will 100% attend and pay sticker.

Good point. I'm actually surprised at the Northwestern acceptance since there ED comes with a full ride.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:04 am

eric922 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:There is a definite boost when a business knows someone will 100% attend and pay sticker.

Good point. I'm actually surprised at the Northwestern acceptance since there ED comes with a full ride.

That only started last cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”