Any chances in applying with 2Fs on transcript? (3.7/168) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
grizzly

New

Any chances in applying with 2Fs on transcript? (3.7/168)

Post by grizzly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 am

I know that tis the season for lots of acceptance letters, so congrats to all those who were met with good news! I hope some of you experts can spare a bit of your time to give me an advice, as I’m anxiously planning to apply this fall.

So my story is this: I have two Fs, or more like two “no passes” from a pass or no pass courses that I took in my freshman year. It was a bad year, and I effed up a big time. I can go on all day about how much I regret this, but I’ll spare you guys the long story. I retook both courses and got an A and a B+ next year. They were both general requirement courses, but one of them was a logic class (philosophy) and I’m really worried, as I’ve been hearing the importance of logic courses... And my B+ on retake comes from the logic class

I’m not reaching for the stars, but I’m in a dire need for scholarships and would love a spot at a somewhat well known law school to convince my unenthusiastic parents.

I’m planning to graduate this spring and go through the application process after graduation. I have a 3.72 gpa with 168, and am planning to retake lsat this October.

I recently calculated my gpa the way lsac does, and I think it’s way below 3.5 b/c they count no pass as Fs... right? If I can’t get a scholarship, there’s no point in applying.

How are my chances? I ask because the application process itself is a huge investment for me, both financially and mentally (as it is for all people, of course)... If the chances are low I feel like I should get a job as soon as possible instead of spending this summer studying for lsat. Gosh, sounds so depressing.

Thanks for reading guys. And thanks in advance for any advices.
Last edited by grizzly on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

wert3813

Silver

Re: Any point in applying with 2Fs on transcript? (3.7/168)

Post by wert3813 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 am

grizzly wrote:I know that tis the season for lots of acceptance letters, so congrats to all those who were met with good news! I hope some of you experts can spare a bit of your time to give me an advice, as I’m anxiously planning to apply this fall.

So my story is this: I have two Fs, or more like two “no passes” from a pass or no pass courses that I took in my freshman year. It was a bad year, and I effed up a big time. I can go on all day about how much I regret this, but I’ll spare you guys the long story. I retook both courses and got an A and a B+ next year. They were both general requirement courses, but one of them was a logic class (philosophy) and I’m really worried, as I’ve been hearing the importance of logic courses... And my B+ on retake comes from the logic class :(

I’m not reaching for the stars, but I’m in a dire need for scholarships and would love a spot at a somewhat well known law school to convince my unenthusiastic parents.

I’m currently a junior at UCSD (Poli Sci major and Communications minor) but am planning to graduate this spring and go through the application process after graduation. I have a 3.72 gpa with 168, and am planning to retake lsat this October.

I recently calculated my gpa the way lsac does, and I think it’s way below 3.5 b/c they count no pass as Fs... right? If I can’t get a scholarship, there’s no point in applying.

How are my chances? I ask because the application process itself is a huge investment for me, both financially and mentally (as it is for all people, of course)... If the chances are low I feel like I should get a job as soon as possible instead of spending this summer studying for lsat. Gosh, sounds so depressing.

Thanks for reading guys. And thanks in advance for any advices.
Get confirmation on here of what your LSAC gpa will be. Big difference between those two GPAs you listed. If you can make a 173+ you can get decent money at USC/UCLA.

Alternative answer. It sounds like you don't know what you want to do with your life so you are thinking law school. Consider taking a few years off to work. Law school will be there.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Re: Any point in applying with 2Fs on transcript? (3.7/168)

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 am

Only GPA counts and yours is decent.

No one cares about Fs or Ws.

grizzly

New

Re: Any chances in applying with 2Fs on transcript? (3.7/168)

Post by grizzly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 am

wert3813: Last time I calculated it came out to be around 3.48
And I know that my post may sound unenthusiastic/ thinking law school as a second choice-- I realized it after re-reading my own post-- but I'm really all in. My "job option" comes from a fear of recently going financially independent... I feel like I might have a better chance of financial aid after some work experience. But I know where your advice comes from. Thanks.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 pm

grizzly wrote:wert3813: Last time I calculated it came out to be around 3.48
And I know that my post may sound unenthusiastic/ thinking law school as a second choice-- I realized it after re-reading my own post-- but I'm really all in. My "job option" comes from a fear of recently going financially independent... I feel like I might have a better chance of financial aid after some work experience. But I know where your advice comes from. Thanks.
A 3.48 and a high LSAT score could get you into several T-14's with some money, but how much is kind of random.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

eric922 wrote:
A 3.48 and a high LSAT score could get you into several T-14's with some money, but how much is kind of random.
I agree here. Don't give up hope, but you are objectively in a much worse position than if you had a 3.7. LSAC's GPA calculation policy is straightforward and written in plain English on the website, so if you are misinterpreting it, it's likely because you want to. No pass grades are indeed counted as F's, but if you withdrew with a failing grade that was nonpunitive, your grade would not be calculated.

3.48 doesn't quite put you up shit creek, but it's close to it. My numbers are very close to yours, and I may not go to any law school because I haven't been able to obtain scholarship offers that represent a personally acceptable amount of risk.

In your position, you may consider an extra semester of easy classes and delaying graduation to pad your GPA. If you can get your GPA above a school's 25th, that will make all the difference. You're over Georgetown's 25th, and a few classes could put you over Cornell's 25th and UVA's 25th. That will put you in a much better position for scholarship if you can eclipse their 75th LSAT.

If you graduate in the summer with 3 extra A's that would bring your 3.48 to a 3.516 (assuming 120 credit hours after Spring). If you take Fall classes as well, you could feasibly get your GPA above about half the T14 25th's.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:51 am

cahwc12 wrote:
eric922 wrote:
I agree here. Don't give up hope, but you are objectively in a much worse position than if you had a 3.7. LSAC's GPA calculation policy is straightforward and written in plain English on the website, so if you are misinterpreting it, it's likely because you want to. No pass grades are indeed counted as F's, but if you withdrew with a failing grade that was nonpunitive, your grade would not be calculated.

3.48 doesn't quite put you up shit creek, but it's close to it. My numbers are very close to yours, and I may not go to any law school because I haven't been able to obtain scholarship offers that represent a personally acceptable amount of risk.

In your position, you may consider an extra semester of easy classes and delaying graduation to pad your GPA. If you can get your GPA above a school's 25th, that will make all the difference. You're over Georgetown's 25th, and a few classes could put you over Cornell's 25th and UVA's 25th. That will put you in a much better position for scholarship if you can eclipse their 75th LSAT.

If you graduate in the summer with 3 extra A's that would bring your 3.48 to a 3.516 (assuming 120 credit hours after Spring). If you take Fall classes as well, you could feasibly get your GPA above about half the T14 25th's.
If not kill the LSAT and ED NW for the 150K

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
eric922 wrote:

Wouldn't he/she need at least a year of post-grad work experience for that?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:24 pm

eric922 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
eric922 wrote: A 3.48 and a high LSAT score could get you into several T-14's with some money, but how much is kind of random.

Wouldn't he/she need at least a year of post-grad work experience for that?
s/he would have that. They are graduating in May making them no longer a KJD. Or did I miss something? Regardless ED NW is a phenomenal deal and the worst that happens is you get deferred.

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Only the overall GPA counts. I applied this cycle with an F on my transcript as well as half a dozen Ws (course withdrawals) and got in everywhere that people with my stats got in on LSN. I had a good personal reason for the Fs and Ws but the reason clearly did not matter, nor did my upward trend help me out in any way. I did not outperform other people with 3.5-3.6's on LSN one bit. However, I didn't underperform either. I don't think the F was a red flag, or if it was, not that big of one.

If you PM me I can send you the link to my LSN profile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”