How good a soft is overcoming a disability?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PrelawSteve

How good a soft is overcoming a disability?

Postby PrelawSteve » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am

Hello,

I know that some of you guys love to joke about Aspies, but my question is:

How good a soft is in terms of diversity actually having Asperger's Syndrome and it affecting your life in the following ways:

1. You actually went to a special education high school with the "short bus" , but managed to graduate from college with honors.

2. You have done some extensive paid and unpaid work related to Asperger's Syndrome:

I have:

1.Given lectures about growing up with Asperger's to audiences in size ranging from 30 to 350

2. Done some paid consulting work with a private special education school on how to help their young elementary students adapt with Aspergers.

3 Worked as a volunteer big brother through a program to a child with Asperger's.

4. Worked as a summer camp counselor at a camp for autistic spectrum kids.

5. Volunteered with a disability civil rights organization.

Thanks

maggielizer

Re: How good a soft is overcoming a disability?

Postby maggielizer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey Steve,

I'm by no means an expert (0L), so I'll let someone else speak to the potential boost, but those sound like very compelling softs. If I were you I would definitely write a diversity statement and probably center my PS around the volunteer work and consulting.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm

PrelawSteve wrote:Hello,

How good a soft is in terms of diversity actually having Asperger's Syndrome and it affecting your life in the following ways:

1. You actually went to a special education high school with the "short bus" , but managed to graduate from college with honors.

2. You have done some extensive paid and unpaid work related to Asperger's Syndrome:

I have:

1.Given lectures about growing up with Asperger's to audiences in size ranging from 30 to 350

2. Done some paid consulting work with a private special education school on how to help their young elementary students adapt with Aspergers.

3 Worked as a volunteer big brother through a program to a child with Asperger's.

Thanks

I have no idea, but that's awesome. Good job, man.

cinnamonchurros

Postby cinnamonchurros » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

I have:

Thanks

I'm also not an expert (0L). I'm sure adcoms will be impressed, as it is a good soft. Softs are usually not factored heavily into law school admissions decisions. Not trying to be a downer. But, you should be proud of your accomplishments and write a killer personal statement about them!

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:40 pm

I have:

Thanks

Seems pretty legit. I think you'll be able to garner the max boost a learning disabled student could possibly receive.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

I don't think the boosts from these softs will be as tangible as the boost you will get if you write a killer personal statement with this information in it.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:49 pm

TheThriller wrote:I don't think the boosts from these softs will be as tangible as the boost you will get if you write a killer personal statement with this information in it.

This. The first thing I thought after reading the OP is that you could elaborate that post into a KILLER personal statement.

OP: your LSAT and GPA are still going to be the biggest factors, of course, but this is a strong list of softs that will be even more compelling if you tie it all together with your desire to attend law school in a great personal statement. I'm no adcomm, but I think the role of good softs on your app is to demonstrate the strength of your character, your work ethic / dedication to the life goals you set for yourself, your leadership skills, and your ability to adapt to new challenges. It sounds like you have demonstrated all of these traits in a way that few of your peers have. If you pull it all together with a strong personal statement that inspires the reader to want to act on your behalf, I think your softs are about as strong as they can be.

Return to “What are my chances?”