Tisch to a TLS: possible?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
singer19

Tisch to a TLS: possible?

Postby singer19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 am

Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate who definitely wants to go into entertainment law (or perhaps a different kind, since I know these things change) after I finish college. I've been accepted to WashU, Georgetown and also NYU Tisch for performing/singing.

I'm really passionate about attending a TLS such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, etc. Obviously I will apply to many others, but because I am still not in my freshman year of college I feel I have sufficient time to at least up my chances at being accepted to one I mentioned above.

My question is this: is double-majoring (half Tisch, half NYU pre-law) going to be a rigorous enough curriculum to get me into one of these schools (provided I maintain above a 3.7 average and get a strong LSAT score, intern at firms, etc.?), or is NYU general not strong enough to get me an acceptance?

Secondly, does the fact that I'm applying from an exclusive program within Tisch count for anything (perhaps an added edge of interest to my app, or the knowledge that I'm attending a more "prestigious" part of NYU?) Or is applying to a TLS from NYU just applying, and they won't recognize or care about the exclusivity of Tisch itself?

Thank you!!!

kakistocracy

Re: Tisch to a TLS: possible?

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:36 am

I'm pretty sure the undergrad you attend (and other softs) pale completely next to GPA and LSAT, which are largely the determining factors when it comes to law school admissions. The general advice seems to be to pick something you're interested in - and do well at it.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 am

I know you're still in high school and all, but you need to learn to use the search function at the bottom of the page.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:I know you're still in high school and all, but you need to learn to use the search function at the bottom of the page.
do not use the search function at the bottom of the page

singer19

Postby singer19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 am

I've read on forums that your undergrad can matter, and also that having a BFA can be more of an edge in applications. I've searched through a lot of these! I was just wondering if Tisch was going to be considered more prestigious than NYU or if they won't even care. I could also apply to an Ivy undergrad for transfer if that would be more helpful. I just want to know! Thanks!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 am

singer19 wrote:I've read on forums that your undergrad can matter, and also that having a BFA can be more of an edge in applications. I've searched through a lot of these! I was just wondering if Tisch was going to be considered more prestigious than NYU or if they won't even care. I could also apply to an Ivy undergrad for transfer if that would be more helpful. I just want to know! Thanks!

Bro, I don't think anyone is going to think Tisch is prestigious in the least. Just go wherever you are happy and can get good grades. It'll be your grades that matter.

Borg

Postby Borg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:11 am

Tisch is fine, but for god's sake double major in something real along with it. You don't need to study physics or anything, but NYU has excellent econ, poli sci, math, and history departments. Do one of those along with your acting, if not for law school then just for your own education and employment prospects.

nautilus2000

Postby nautilus2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:43 am

FYI, there is no pre-law major or specific pre-law classes at NYU. And lol at Tisch being a "more prestigious" part of NYU or that having any relevance on law school admission.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07 pm

singer19 wrote:Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate who definitely wants to go into entertainment law (or perhaps a different kind, since I know these things change) after I finish college. I've been accepted to WashU, Georgetown and also NYU Tisch for performing/singing.

I'm really passionate about attending a TLS such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, etc. Obviously I will apply to many others, but because I am still not in my freshman year of college I feel I have sufficient time to at least up my chances at being accepted to one I mentioned above.

My question is this: is double-majoring (half Tisch, half NYU pre-law) going to be a rigorous enough curriculum to get me into one of these schools (provided I maintain above a 3.7 average and get a strong LSAT score, intern at firms, etc.?), or is NYU general not strong enough to get me an acceptance?

Secondly, does the fact that I'm applying from an exclusive program within Tisch count for anything (perhaps an added edge of interest to my app, or the knowledge that I'm attending a more "prestigious" part of NYU?) Or is applying to a TLS from NYU just applying, and they won't recognize or care about the exclusivity of Tisch itself?

Thank you!!!

I wanted to be a film major and go to law school too. I hope you won't be paying with loans what I believe is still the most expensive school you can attend for undergrad for a useless film degree. And as someone said above, no reputable school will allow you to major in 'pre-law.' Pre-med exists because there are core science and math courses you need to take for med school. Law school has no such requirements.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Tisch would be something to write about but I doubt it'll give you a bump. Don't go to a private if you want to go to lawl school. Well, unless your parents are rich and can afford to drop hundreds of thousands like nothing. Major in one thing. Get the highest GPA possible. Kill the LSAT. Good luck.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

nice highschool humblebrag.

singer19

Postby singer19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

definitely not bragging! I have nothing to brag about and know nothing about applying to law school... that's why I'm asking for help.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 pm

singer19 wrote:definitely not bragging! I have nothing to brag about and know nothing about applying to law school... that's why I'm asking for help.

Undergrad rank/prestige do not matter. GPA and LSAT scores are all that matter.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 pm

lol things have come down to an all time low for you when you humble brag or suggest that Tisch is prestigious.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 pm

singer19 wrote:definitely not bragging! I have nothing to brag about and know nothing about applying to law school... that's why I'm asking for help.

ah, so young and innocent.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Your undergrad does matter. You ought to study something and go somewhere that'll make you happy. You only live once and you have no idea if years from now you'll still want to go to law school, so don't put all your eggs in that basket.

Return to “What are my chances?”