Chances for Northwestern?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DaRascal

Chances for Northwestern?

Postby DaRascal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: Chances for Northwestern?

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Tough one because urm, but that LSAT makes you a likely deny. Retake, if you can kill the LSAT you're looking at great options.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm

It's your call, it's never predictable with urms, and as I'm not one, I don't know enough data to say anything with any certainty. That said, your well below both medians, so idk what the PR boost is like, but it'd be a lot to make this work. That said, Idk if they count interviews for more than one year, but I'd imagine they do...so find out if you interview now will it count for next cycle. Look into a retake.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

TopLawHopeful

Postby TopLawHopeful » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Retake.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:46 am

Good thing you decided to go. URM's are different... you have a chance. According to LSN there are URM applicants w/ worse stats than you that got in. I'd say it's worth the interview.

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

Let us know how it turned out.

Good luck!

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:47 am

Lack of work experience will be your determining factor I think and not your numbers for NU.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 am

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 am

DaRascal wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Lack of work experience will be your determining factor I think and not your numbers for NU.

Figured as much. I'm thinking maybe it might be best to take two years off and work. I've got about 38-40k in undergrad loans to pay off and the WE couldn't hurt. Besides, I found it difficult to study for the LSAT while in undergrad so maybe this'll give me time to settle down and master it. My GPA is going to take a dip to the 3.4 range but if I can kill the LSAT next time maybe I can get some serious scholly money to a T14. (Would 3.4 with a strong LSAT even be a consideration for NU ED in a future cycle?)

Starting to realize how serious law school is and how dangerous sticker price is!

Someone got the ED scholarship with 174/3.5. LSN says he wasn't URM either. I think if you kill the LSAT, it would be worth a shot especially because you are URM. Good luck!!

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:32 pm

You should still sit out and retake. Jerb experience is always credited. URM LSAT's even over 165 are a significant game changer. 170+ and you are looking at mo money, mo money, mo money

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I would try and get a refund for the plane tickets and suit if you can, I just don't see this happening. You're all over the place with this stuff (weird posts on TLS, no strategy when it comes to applying such as EDing Columbia, not as focused on the LSAT as you should be for multiple takes, letting grades slip when you should be busting your butt to get into a top school, etc.)

I think taking a couple years to work, pay off debt, and get some focus (and maybe maturity?) would do you wonders. Do that.

You're one of my favorite posters on here, I really do sincerely hope that you succeed at whatever you do. I just don't see law school in the cards for you this year.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 pm

DaRascal wrote:Yeah, Zuck, I feel like I need to work and gain some maturity. I'm still not sure if law school's really for me. Seems intense. :shock:
You think I should go this year if I get off a T14 WL? Maybe I can change my bad habits over the summer!

lol, sounds like you aren't ready for law school no matter where you get in. No one who takes time to work before law school regrets it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm

DaRascal wrote:Yeah, Zuck, I feel like I need to work and gain some maturity. I'm still not sure if law school's really for me. Seems intense. :shock:
You think I should go this year if I get off a T14 WL? Maybe I can change my bad habits over the summer!

If you get off a waitlist that most likely means sticker and I think that most 22 year olds signing on for 250k-300k of non-dischargeable debt is a recipe for potential bad times down the road.

Taking a year or two break from school, even if it means working a crappy job and playing entirely too much Xbox and drinking entirely too much beer can potentially be a good thing. I know that sounds irresponsible but sometimes you've just got to get some stuff out of your system before worrying about the heavy shit. Law school will always be there if you want to go.

I would see how this cycle plays out and if you don't have any objectively good choices then I would try to find a decent job, pay down some debt, and enjoy your early 20s. Don't even think about law school or the LSAT. If, after a few months, you still have the itch then start preping and reapply.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 pm

After reading this post I'm really going to advise that you take some time off and work. You aren't sure if law school is for you, and that's fine. It's a huge commitment of time and money. So you need to be sure it is for you before you commit that time and money. Even if you get into a T-14 there is a real possibility you could fail if you aren't 100% committed and unlike UG you can't attempt law school multiple times (at least I don't think.) I strongly suggest you take a year or two off, find a job and study for the LSAT. This can only help you. You'll save some money up, gain some work experience(which NU seems to love), and do better on the LSAT. All of that would really help you out. Besides, I get the sense from your posts that you may be kind of burnt out on school, which again, makes sense if your K-JD. You've been in school since you were about five, it can burn anyone out.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 am

Return to “What are my chances?”