LSAT 174 and Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cycgundam

LSAT 174 and Chances

Postby cycgundam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm

LSAT 174
GPA 2.77 (LSAC's GPA. I didn't pretty bad in my associate degree college, but raised much in my bachelor institution

I currently work in a city agency and I wish to pursue a part-time JD

I'd like to apply Fordham, Brooklyn, St John and Yeshiva. What are my chances?

Also, I know the UGPA is very important in application success. Is it necessary that I go back to college and complete another degree to raise the UGPA?

CFprez

Re: LSAT 174 and Chances

Postby CFprez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:13 pm

once you have graduated, then no further classes count to raise your GPA.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:17 pm

They only use the grades from your bachelors so don't complete another degree unless you want to enter an entire different field. Use lawschoolnumbers.com to find people with your stats and check out their cycles online. That's really the best indicator of your chances.

cycgundam

Postby cycgundam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:They only use the grades from your bachelors so don't complete another degree unless you want to enter an entire different field. Use lawschoolnumbers.com to find people with your stats and check out their cycles online. That's really the best indicator of your chances.

bachelor? What about associate? I did very ok on my bachelor work.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm

cycgundam wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:They only use the grades from your bachelors so don't complete another degree unless you want to enter an entire different field. Use lawschoolnumbers.com to find people with your stats and check out their cycles online. That's really the best indicator of your chances.

bachelor? What about associate? I did very ok on my bachelor work.

I think they count every grade you earned up until you were awarded your first Bachelors degree.

TopLawHopeful

Postby TopLawHopeful » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 pm

cycgundam wrote:I'd like to apply Fordham, Brooklyn, St John and Yeshiva. What are my chances?

Well, the good news is that your LSAT is high.

You'll probably get into Brooklyn, St. John's, and Yeshiva--but there is no use in going if you don't get a full ride or close to it. Today's job market isn't friendly to T2 law grads with 150k+ worth of debt.

And probably waitlist at Fordham.

Advice: ED to UVA or Northwestern. And pray ceaselessly.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 pm

My guess (based off LSN) is waitlisted at Fordham and accepted with $$$ at St. Johns, Cardozo, and Brooklyn.

At Cardozo, this cycle someone with a 170 LSAT and 2.54 GPA ended up with $105,000. You should do that or better. A 171 and 2.6 reported $150,000 in scholarships too FWIW.

At St. Johns, this cycle someone with a 169 LSAT and 3.1 GPA received $126,000 (and $120,000 at Cardozo). LSAT seems to be more important than GPA, so I think you should have a good shot at a huge (bordering on full tuition scholarship).

Honestly, I think you could get into a lot better schools even with your GPA. A 174 LSAT is super rare (and please ignore the people who tell you to retest. Your score is GREAT). I think you could end up with Full Tuition at a respectable Tier 1 school outside of New York.... like say Washington University in St. Louis or the University of Minnesota or the University of Iowa (all T-30 schools).

cycgundam

Postby cycgundam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

ha-ri wrote:My guess (based off LSN) is waitlisted at Fordham and accepted with $$$ at St. Johns, Cardozo, and Brooklyn.

At Cardozo, this cycle someone with a 170 LSAT and 2.54 GPA ended up with $105,000. You should do that or better. A 171 and 2.6 reported $150,000 in scholarships too FWIW.

At St. Johns, this cycle someone with a 169 LSAT and 3.1 GPA received $126,000 (and $120,000 at Cardozo). LSAT seems to be more important than GPA, so I think you should have a good shot at a huge (bordering on full tuition scholarship).

Honestly, I think you could get into a lot better schools even with your GPA. A 174 LSAT is super rare (and please ignore the people who tell you to retest. Your score is GREAT). I think you could end up with Full Tuition at a respectable Tier 1 school outside of New York.... like say Washington University in St. Louis or the University of Minnesota or the University of Iowa (all T-30 schools).

thank you, thats very inspiring.
do you know if any soft matters my improve my chances? certification? WE? graduate school?

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

cycgundam wrote:
ha-ri wrote:My guess (based off LSN) is waitlisted at Fordham and accepted with $$$ at St. Johns, Cardozo, and Brooklyn.

thank you, thats very inspiring.
do you know if any soft matters my improve my chances? certification? WE? graduate school?

Nevermind. I just saw you wanted to stay in NYC for law school.

Return to “What are my chances?”