Super splitter: 175, 2.9 (LSDAS). Any chances at T14 $?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splitterdood

Super splitter: 175, 2.9 (LSDAS). Any chances at T14 $?

Postby splitterdood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

Sup.

So, as the title suggests, I'm a super splitter. I've only taken the LSAT once. I also have 3 years WE. If it makes any difference, my BS is from a good school in electrical engineering. Are there any chances I get money at Northwestern or maybe GTown if I apply in the fall? I would consider going outside the T14 if there were a very sizable scholarship from the school, but I wouldn't go to a TTT even on a full ride.

Your friend,
splitterdood

edit: I guess it's worth mentioning that I will likely pursue IP, since I've got an EE background and do like technology.

Rahviveh

Re: Super splitter: 175, 2.9 (LSDAS). Any chances at T14 $?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Probably not. Any scholarship you get will be pitifully small compared to total COA. Honestly, cracking the T14 with a 2.9 is not a given.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

splitterdood

Postby splitterdood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Ugh. So much for that decline in high-LSAT applicants being a boon to splitters. Do you think I should still apply RD rather than ED UVA?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm

You're not out of the running for cash at nu.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You're not out of the running for cash at nu.

don't ED unless it's somewhere you'd consider sticker at.

People with close to your numbers got in on ED1 this year at Penn. People with similar numbers have gotten money to NU in the past. apply early to NU and you have a good shot at acceptance and id say same for gtown. the key to a good splitter cycle seems to be to apply early. PM if you have more questions.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/woeismyugpa

small sample size but there is a way to do this. Decline in apps is not as good for people in your situation as others but i think it's still been helpful. We'll know more depending on how schollies this cycle shake out.
Last edited by feralinfant on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Yeah, EDing to NU would be optimal if they still offer the full ride. It's obviously tougher to get since there's all that money involved but it's a viable option.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:00 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Yeah, EDing to NU would be optimal if they still offer the full ride. It's obviously tougher to get since there's all that money involved but it's a viable option.

Wouldn't happen.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:Yeah, EDing to NU would be optimal if they still offer the full ride. It's obviously tougher to get since there's all that money involved but it's a viable option.

Wouldn't happen.

Agree on the money. There's something to be said though for EDing, then getting held in terms of possibly helping you get in. This is where we start getting into rampant speculation though.

splitterdood

Postby splitterdood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:

Wouldn't happen.

When I saw the ED scholarship, I thought there was a splitter God. I came to my senses after two seconds of thinking about it. Damn.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm

splitterdood wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:

Wouldn't happen.

When I saw the ED scholarship, I thought there was a splitter God. I came to my senses after two seconds of thinking about it. Damn.

The point of offering an ED full ride is to poach students from HYSCC, not to give money to <25/>75 splitters like us. They could get us for free or close to it lol

splitterdood

Postby splitterdood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:12 pm

feralinfant wrote:

People with close to your numbers got in on ED1 this year at Penn. People with similar numbers have gotten money to NU in the past. apply early to NU and you have a good shot at acceptance and id say same for gtown. the key to a good splitter cycle seems to be to apply early. PM if you have more questions.

small sample size but there is a way to do this. Decline in apps is not as good for people in your situation as others but i think it's still been helpful. We'll know more depending on how schollies this cycle shake out.

Yeah it's either ED Penn or UVA. I don't think I'm getting (significant) money anywhere (worth going).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:13 pm

I wouldn't ED personally. I have a worse gpa and slightly better LSAT, so I'm in the same boat.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 pm

feralinfant wrote:

those are just two people

http://www.mylsn.info/qfh3sb

exclude URM's and ED's, and the current cycle since its not over.

OP you can wait and see how things play out for the current cycle - but things don't look good based on a small sample. GULC and NW are your best bets. Make sure to do the interview at NW.

I would not ED initially - apply early and ED Penn or UVA in January if you're not satisfied.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Isn't the common wisdom in these kinds of cases to ED to UVA?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

eric922 wrote:Isn't the common wisdom in these kinds of cases to ED to UVA?

That was the CW before the crash in apps/LSAT-takers, but now it might be better to wait and see and just ED after the new year if you still need to. LSAT scores are still in very high demand even if you got a sub 3.0 GPA.

splitterdood

Postby splitterdood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

OP you can wait and see how things play out for the current cycle - but things don't look good based on a small sample. GULC and NW are your best bets. Make sure to do the interview at NW.

I would not ED initially - apply early and ED Penn or UVA in January if you're not satisfied.

I hadn't considered the option of initially applying RD and then changing to ED. Two Qs:

1) Does this run the risk of rejection in the meantime?
2) Will applying ED that late still give me a "boost" in my app?

edit: thanks for the input, btw

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

i acknowledged it was a small sample size. The point is that money isn't impossible at NU and to share a profile from this cycle w/ similar numbers. And I realize this cycle isn't over but excluding it in that search doesn't make sense b/c this cycle is so different. Penn especially seems to have dipped down a lot closer to the 3.0 mark early in the cycle so I think there could be an argument for EDing there in their first round rather than the second. But I'll concede it's just pure speculation.

I wouldn't ED UVA b/c you'll probably have options and being locked in there w/o money would worry me more than it would say at Penn.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 pm

splitterdood wrote:I hadn't considered the option of initially applying RD and then changing to ED. Two Qs:

Based on this cycle, probably not. The schools are moving really really slow and with that shiny LSAT they'd rather keep you in limbo than reject you. EDing late at UVA will probably give you a boost, Penn it might just depend. The advantage with applying early is that schools won't know what they're going to have so they might just want to have your LSAT in their pocket. Waiting could potentially help or hurt you and diminish the value of the ED (i.e. they already have a bunch LSATS that are high).

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 pm

splitterdood wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

I hadn't considered the option of initially applying RD and then changing to ED. Two Qs:

Go to the acceptances forum and look at the UVA/Penn threads. There's a graph on the first page which a timeline of when WL's/rejections go out. From my personal experience with the timeline I don't think you have a worry about an early ding/WL with Penn, but you may get one from UVA. Probably not a ding, but a WL is possible.

i acknowledged it was a small sample size. The point is that money isn't impossible at NU and to share a profile from this cycle w/ similar numbers. And I realize this cycle isn't over but excluding it in that search doesn't make sense b/c this cycle is so different. Penn especially seems to have dipped down a lot closer to the 3.0 mark early in the cycle so I think there could be an argument for EDing there in their first round rather than the second. But I'll concede it's just pure speculation.

I wouldn't ED UVA b/c you'll probably have options and being locked in there w/o money would worry me more than it would say at Penn.

Well I think we should exclude it in the search because its not over and a lot of people have not received decisions yet. The results will be biased towards acceptances. The OP has the luxury of waiting to see how it plays out.

I agree with you though, most of this is speculation. There's not a lot of data for splitters. But there's a very strong possibility OP will simply be locked out of the T14. That risk has to be weighed against the risk of EDing and missing out on potential options.

For now OP just keep checking TLS over the summer and see how people do. There's a splitters thread in the acceptances forum you should bookmark.

Superbeast

Postby Superbeast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 pm

who cares about gettin $$ from T-14...even if you did get a 30% scholly or something, you're still gonna be in big debt.
goto highest ranked school that you get accepted, max gradplus/staff loans...then cop that PAYE.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:38 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Well I think we should exclude it in the search because its not over and a lot of people have not received decisions yet. The results will be biased towards acceptances. The OP has the luxury of waiting to see how it plays out.

I agree with you though, most of this is speculation. There's not a lot of data for splitters. But there's a very strong possibility OP will simply be locked out of the T14. That risk has to be weighed against the risk of EDing and missing out on potential options.

For now OP just keep checking TLS over the summer and see how people do. There's a splitters thread in the acceptances forum you should bookmark.

+1. Being a splitter is something of a crapshoot and there's definitely tradeoffs. Definitely pay attention to the rest of this cycle. I will say that based on the very limited data it does seem like a strong, early and persuasive app can get you into NU and an early app could do wonders for you at G-town but thats about all i can say. ED strategies shrink the sample sizes even more and are hard to evaluate.

My only other advice is work your ass off on every single part of your application, and do all the optional essays and addendums you can.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 pm

[/quote]Well I think we should exclude it in the search because its not over and a lot of people have not received decisions yet. The results will be biased towards acceptances. The OP has the luxury of waiting to see how it plays out.

For now OP just keep checking TLS over the summer and see how people do. There's a splitters thread in the acceptances forum you should bookmark.[/quote]
If his GPA was just .1 higher I would think that 175 would almost guarantee him a shot somewhere in the T14, but it's possible a lot of them won't be willing to go below 3.0 so, unfortunately, you could be right.

Dang it, sorry for the bad format, I tried to take out all the embedded quotes and it must have messed something up.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Superbeast wrote:who cares about gettin $$ from T-14...even if you did get a 30% scholly or something, you're still gonna be in big debt.
goto highest ranked school that you get accepted, max gradplus/staff loans...then cop that PAYE.

This is silly. But OP I would definitely research the kind of debt you'll be taking on and the lifestyle/job it will confine you to.... if you are borrowing at sticker or near-sticker with a small scholarship. As a splitter you don't have great alternatives but it's still something to think about since you have time.

Good luck!

Superbeast

Postby Superbeast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Superbeast wrote:who cares about gettin $$ from T-14...even if you did get a 30% scholly or something, you're still gonna be in big debt.

This is silly. But OP I would definitely research the kind of debt you'll be taking on and the lifestyle/job it will confine you to.... if you are borrowing at sticker or near-sticker with a small scholarship. As a splitter you don't have great alternatives but it's still something to think about since you have time.

Good luck!

how is it silly? there is no lifestyle/job you're confined into if you get PAYE

capsfan

Postby capsfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Consider GULC part-time. It's definitely a lot to manage at once, but there are several engineers that are evening students. PM if you have any questions.

Return to “What are my chances?”