.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

.

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:19 pm

.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:45 pm

.
Last edited by thethe on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:48 pm

.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
thethe wrote:

Are you URM?

The issue is, if you take a test with accommodations for your dyslexia I don't think they count for a school's median, which is an issue for you because while schools don't want to discriminate, you will only hurt their ranking as the 3.29 is below every respectable school's median. Is there a possibility you could take the test under regular circumstances and hit high 160s. Right now, law school is potentially bad because your dyslexia creates a certain disadvantage, and the schools you'll get into with your #'s will require you being top 5-10% to have a good outcome.

Your soft credentials will help some, but there's an argument the dyslexia actually hurts you in particular if you are taking the test with accommodations as it doesn't count for the school's LSAT median and your GPA is below median. The unfortunate nature is admissions is a largely a "what can you do for us" thing, and then the softs will distinguish individuals with relatively equal numbers.

You're only 22, and really need a 170. I'd sit out.

As presently situated, you're out at all of these and your geographic list seems strange as these are all regional schools and I can't imagine Kansas firms hiring a non-valedictorian who spent their whole lives out of Kansas. Kansas is the one you have a shot at.


I should clarify a few things, I am not a URM, I took the test without accommodations for that exact reason, and I am a Kansas resident with ties to the Northeast.[/quote]
Interesting.

Do you think you can retake and get a higher score? I know it sucks having to deal with the same time constraints, and it's really cool you're manning through it, but if you can get a 156, you can get a 165. Kansas with a total cost of like $60-80k wouldn't be so bad for you. I'd avoid these Northeast schools short a lot of money even if you get in.

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 pm

.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 pm

don't go to any of these schools, and don't go to law school at all.

You display social immaturity by dropping out of high school, and your low GPA and LSAT demonstrates that you still haven't developed a good work ethic. You're 22 and it sounds like you still have no real world experience. "Many internships" probably doesn't count at all, although you should list your relevant work exp to be sure.

don't go to law school.

And to be clear, "i don't have a place to live" is a terrible excuse to rationalize this terrible idea.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:I probably could retake it and do better. The big problem would be waiting a year, as I would lack a place to live. Do you thinking a 80-110 school with money is a good idea, or a waste of time?

depends on the amount of $, and being in Kansas. If it's a Northeast school, IDK. Maybe UConn if you have connections to Connecticut in particular.

Lacking a place to live seems like a bad reason, man. You got in the 65th percentile or so on a test all about critical reading despite dyslexia. You're definitely smart enough to be able to pay rent in Kansas for a year while studying.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm

cahwc12 wrote:don't go to any of these schools, and don't go to law school at all.

You display social immaturity by dropping out of high school, and your low GPA and LSAT demonstrates that you still haven't developed a good work ethic. You're 22 and have no real world experience.

don't go to law school.

And to be clear, "i don't have a place to live" is a terrible excuse to rationalize this terrible idea.

This is a little uncool and not necessarily true - people change over 4 years.....

But the not a place to live is a terrible reason, and the %ages would indicate with your #'s right now you'll be in very bad shape in the future. What I'm saying isn't an attack on you, but it's an investment that will likely be disastrous currently if your family situation is such there's no free rent involved, you will take on 150k debt and attend schools with a 20-30% chance of sticker repayment.
Last edited by thethe on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm

.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:05 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:don't go to any of these schools, and don't go to law school at all.

You display social immaturity by dropping out of high school, and your low GPA and LSAT demonstrates that you still haven't developed a good work ethic. You're 22 and have no real world experience.

don't go to law school.


I don't believe that is a fair assessment of my abilities. It may have been a immature decision to drop out of high school, but I made an effort to recover from that mistake, and will be receiving my Bachelors in May at the same time I would have if I finished high school. I've had a successful undergrad in terms of extra-curriculars. I have done internships in both the US Senate and the US Supreme Court, and have held leadership positions in many on campus organizations, but believe what you will.

You're likely right. He's being a jerk on the internet. Read my post; I promise it's objective and reasonable.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 pm

thethe wrote:This is a little uncool and not necessarily true - people change over 4 years.....

But the not a place to live is a terrible reason.


His 156, low GPA, and "i could retake and do better" attitude don't support that assertion.

WichitaShocker wrote:I don't believe that is a fair assessment of my abilities. It may have been a immature decision to drop out of high school, but I made an effort to recover from that mistake, and will be receiving my Bachelors in May at the same time I would have if I finished high school. I've had a successful undergrad in terms of extra-curriculars. I have done internships in both the US Senate and the US Supreme Court, and have held leadership positions in many on campus organizations, but believe what you will.

Edit: To clarify a bit more, I would be able to pay rent for another year here, and retake it. I was simply stating that this would be a problem, and I wanted your opinion on what my minimum threshold should be in terms of money, and school prestige should be for attending in the fall. If I do not have much success I will gladly find a way to retake the test, and reapply next year.


This post displays a profound ignorance toward law school admissions, and if your LSAT score and GPA aren't fair assessments of your abilities, you need to postpone graduation and get your GPA up, and then study for the LSAT and get your score up. Law schools won't care at all about your unpaid/wage internships, or that you were the treasurer of volunteer america.


Your GPA will be the limiting factor in any scholarship offers. Since you haven't yet graduated and you need to retake anyway, you should look into the logistics of trying to pad your GPA. It may not be feasible, but that would also solve your rent problem re: student loans, depending how much your UG is to attend.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:This is a little uncool and not necessarily true - people change over 4 years.....

But the not a place to live is a terrible reason.


His 156, low GPA, and "i could retake and do better" attitude don't support that assertion.

WichitaShocker wrote:I don't believe that is a fair assessment of my abilities. It may have been a immature decision to drop out of high school, but I made an effort to recover from that mistake, and will be receiving my Bachelors in May at the same time I would have if I finished high school. I've had a successful undergrad in terms of extra-curriculars. I have done internships in both the US Senate and the US Supreme Court, and have held leadership positions in many on campus organizations, but believe what you will.


This post displays a profound ignorance toward law school admissions, and if your LSAT score and GPA aren't fair assessments of your abilities, you need to postpone graduation and get your GPA up, and then study for the LSAT and get your score up.

Law schools won't care at all about your unpaid/wage internships, or that you were the treasurer of volunteer america.


I don't disagree with you, but you're acting as if I am applying to a T-14. I am not, because I realize that my application lacks in areas,,,

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:This is a little uncool and not necessarily true - people change over 4 years.....

But the not a place to live is a terrible reason.


His 156, low GPA, and "i could retake and do better" attitude don't support that assertion.

WichitaShocker wrote:I don't believe that is a fair assessment of my abilities. It may have been a immature decision to drop out of high school, but I made an effort to recover from that mistake, and will be receiving my Bachelors in May at the same time I would have if I finished high school. I've had a successful undergrad in terms of extra-curriculars. I have done internships in both the US Senate and the US Supreme Court, and have held leadership positions in many on campus organizations, but believe what you will.


This post displays a profound ignorance toward law school admissions, and if your LSAT score and GPA aren't fair assessments of your abilities, you need to postpone graduation and get your GPA up, and then study for the LSAT and get your score up.

Law schools won't care at all about your unpaid/wage internships, or that you were the treasurer of volunteer america.

Brah your mean approach will encourage him to make a very weak decision that will more likely than not ruin his future.

Did you ever hear of how us men respond to conflict - he's gonna be more likely to go if you attack him while telling him not to.

Attack the statistics, not the person.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: High School Drop-out 156 LSAT/3.29 GPA

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:I don't disagree with you, but you're acting as if I am applying to a T-14. I am not, because I realize that my application lacks in areas,,,


Again, it's very obvious you have done diddly in terms of research on law school and it's almost April. None of these schools are worth attending, and even most T14 arguably aren't worth attending at sticker. You're asking for advice, and because it isn't sugar coated and you don't like it, you're curling up in defense mode. We're all anonymous internet posters here. Do some research and then ask poignant questions. You have no chance at a scholarship large enough to warrant attendance at any of these schools, and you need to get your GPA up and postpone graduation if law school is what you truly want (and that should also change based on your given information).

Spend five minutes on http://www.lstscorereports.com and http://mylsn.info and you will have your answers about attending with your numbers, this cycle or ever.

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, and you've made a good decision to post here because it should be apparent to you soon if not now that TLS is saving you from making a life-wrecking decision.

thethe wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:This is a little uncool and not necessarily true - people change over 4 years.....

But the not a place to live is a terrible reason.


His 156, low GPA, and "i could retake and do better" attitude don't support that assertion.

WichitaShocker wrote:Brah your mean approach will encourage him to make a very weak decision that will more likely than not ruin his future.

Did you ever hear of how us men respond to conflict - he's gonna be more likely to go if you attack him while telling him not to.

Attack the statistics, not the person.


If he's going to dive $250k into debt and ruin his life because of what an anonymous poster writes on a message board, he deserves his fate. It's not like I'm calling him fat. Having a low GPA, LSAT, poor softs, young age, and being very dyslexic atop all that do not bode well at all for his future as a lawyer. All of those things (aside from the dyslexia) have to change and they can.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: .

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Big decisions we make are the basis of 10000s of factors, many subconscious ones. You could convey all of this with grace, brah. How are you going to get your wife to do what you want when you get married?

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: .

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:25 pm

thethe wrote:Big decisions we make are the basis of 10000s of factors, many subconscious ones. You could convey all of this with grace, brah. How are you going to get your wife to do what you want when you get married?


This decision is a combination of exorbitant financial cost and very low probability of success. It's a big decision, but not a complex one. Also you may want to edit your top post because this guy seems to have gone on a personal information deletion spree, so it appears our round of good cop bad cop worked.

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: .

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 pm

.
Last edited by WichitaShocker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: .

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:Big decisions we make are the basis of 10000s of factors, many subconscious ones. You could convey all of this with grace, brah. How are you going to get your wife to do what you want when you get married?


This decision is a combination of exorbitant financial cost and very low probability of success. It's a big decision, but not a complex one. Also you may want to edit your top post because this guy seems to have gone on a personal information deletion spree, so it appears our round of good cop bad cop worked.

lol

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: .

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:Big decisions we make are the basis of 10000s of factors, many subconscious ones. You could convey all of this with grace, brah. How are you going to get your wife to do what you want when you get married?


This decision is a combination of exorbitant financial cost and very low probability of success. It's a big decision, but not a complex one. Also you may want to edit your top post because this guy seems to have gone on a personal information deletion spree, so it appears our round of good cop bad cop worked.


I only deleted this thread because you were really not being very helpful. I am in no way 100% committed to attending law school, and was looking for advice on the best ways to move forward. This was a waste of time though, because you would rather rant than actually give advice. You will in no way alter my decision. Thethe, would it be ok if I private messaged you?


You could have just said "looking for advice that agrees with my jaded worldview."

thethe is giving you the same advice, it's just that he's more patronizing and I'm more of the scared straight variety.

thethe
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Re: .

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:55 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
WichitaShocker wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
thethe wrote:Big decisions we make are the basis of 10000s of factors, many subconscious ones. You could convey all of this with grace, brah. How are you going to get your wife to do what you want when you get married?


This decision is a combination of exorbitant financial cost and very low probability of success. It's a big decision, but not a complex one. Also you may want to edit your top post because this guy seems to have gone on a personal information deletion spree, so it appears our round of good cop bad cop worked.


I only deleted this thread because you were really not being very helpful. I am in no way 100% committed to attending law school, and was looking for advice on the best ways to move forward. This was a waste of time though, because you would rather rant than actually give advice. You will in no way alter my decision. Thethe, would it be ok if I private messaged you?


You could have just said "looking for advice that agrees with my jaded worldview."

thethe is giving you the same advice, it's just that he's more patronizing and I'm more of the scared straight variety.

eh you were attacking the person, and not the #'s outcomes at law schools.

OP with a 170+ your outcome is >50% positive long term. If you can hit a 165 and really want to be a lawyer then do it. If not, it's a poor move, and may influence your entire life in a deeply negative way. Paying rent now won't be that hard if you work hard.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: .

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 am

thethe wrote:eh you were attacking the person, and not the #'s outcomes at law schools.

OP with a 170+ your outcome is >50% positive long term. If you can hit a 165 and really want to be a lawyer then do it. If not, it's a poor move, and may influence your entire life in a deeply negative way. Paying rent now won't be that hard if you work hard.


I guess we can agree to disagree here since OP has either given up or gotten whatever he wanted, but my point is that in order for him to achieve those kinds of gains, he needs to grow up, which he hasn't done. Those knocks on his person are very legitimate with respect to his ability to succeed in and after law school. He has exhibited systemic flaws for 4+ years and shows no signs of getting over them. He has a poor GPA for law school and put in minimal effort on his LSAT. He doesn't know anything about law school admissions (which is probably why he's here in the first place), but in this case it's an aggravating factor and not a mitigating one.

Just showing the diligence to study for a 170 or some indication that OP did any research about law school beforehand would go a long way to fix this issue, but it still would leave the problem of his GPA. OP seems committed to graduating when, if law school is 'truly his passion' he should delay graduation and get his GPA up as much as he can (at least across his target school's 25th)--and I'll openly admit even this is a dicey proposition.

As it stands, pretty much no score improvement will increase his own odds of success because wherever he goes, he will be crippled with debt. 3.2/170 might get him into 'ED UVA' but he's still going to be graduating at sticker which is very risky. I would still contend that by far his best play is to never set foot in law school unless there is some super regional school in his immediate area (unknown).

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: .

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 am

Came for the "."

Leaving disappointed.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuddyHoller, notorious_mig and 9 guests