Chance me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vayze

New

Chance me

Post by vayze » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I made my decision. Thread can be locked/deleted now.
Last edited by vayze on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Chance me

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com.

But here is my opinion: BC, BU and GW are obviously out. You also don't have a great shot at the other schools (which is actually a good thing for you, because they're not worth attending anyway). Let me be the first to tell you to seriously think about whether or not law school is the right choice for you; if you're absolutely determined to go, retaking the LSAT is your only option.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com.

But here is my opinion: BC, BU and GW are obviously out. You also don't have a great shot at the other schools (which is actually a good thing for you, because they're not worth attending anyway). Let me be the first to tell you to seriously think about whether or not law school is the right choice for you; if you're absolutely determined to go, retaking the LSAT is your only option.
+1. I actually am not sure you would get into any of those schools, and if you did it would be at sticker (Maybe UT knoxville or Penn State).

Even if money is not a factor, wasting 3 years of your life and not ending up with a job is an issue. Besides, you can't tell me 250k is not a factor, you are better off just doing nothing and blowing the money on something you would enjoy.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:27 pm

You're probably in at UT & Penn State, but would only go to UT if you are in-state and from Tennessee. Retake.

vayze

New

Post by vayze » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:36 pm

I have TN & TX residency. Would UT - Knoxville (W/ Residency) > Penn?

I am not worried about the cost of attending. My dad (doctor) will be dishing out. I am more worried about the long-term outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Normally, if you're from Tennessee, I don't think UT is a horrible choice. With that being said, the job market in TN for lawyers seems to have been hit especially bad.

The Memphis market is mainly Memphis grads, some UT and some Ole Miss. So you're really second in line there.
Nashville has Vandy, so you're second in line there.

Your best markets left are Knoxville & Chattanooga, which are both small and parochial. So I don't know that I can really recommend it, but I would recommend it over Penn State since you're from TN.

vayze

New

Post by vayze » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 pm

deadpanic wrote:Normally, if you're from Tennessee, I don't think UT is a horrible choice. With that being said, the job market in TN for lawyers seems to have been hit especially bad.

The Memphis market is mainly Memphis grads, some UT and some Ole Miss. So you're really second in line there.

Your best markets left are Knoxville & Chattanooga, which are both small and parochial. So I don't know that I can really recommend it, but I would recommend it over Penn State since you're from TN.
True. Thank you for the insight. But, Penn would have a better national than UTK right? I do not plan on staying in Tennessee and would prefer to have a school with a little more flexibility. In that case, would you choose Penn? And, yes, it is really hard to compete with the Vandy grads out here, but truthfully, only 20% of them stay in TN.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm

vayze wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Normally, if you're from Tennessee, I don't think UT is a horrible choice. With that being said, the job market in TN for lawyers seems to have been hit especially bad.

True. Thank you for the insight. But, Penn would have a better national than UTK right? I do not plan on staying in Tennessee and would prefer to have a school with a little more flexibility. In that case, would you choose Penn? And, yes, it is really hard to compete with the Vandy grads out here, but truthfully, only 20% of them stay in TN.
Penn State has no national reputation

20% of Vandy grads is like 40 people

How many jobs in TN do you think there are dood

vayze

New

Post by vayze » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm

That is a very distracting avatar.......oh...yeah...law school...focus! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

vayze wrote:

Penn State is only known for football and Jerry Sandusky. It's probably an okay choice if you want to stay in PA, but it doesn't even sound like you have ties there, so that's out. If you're not going to work in TN after you graduate, definitely rule out UT.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Retake or don't go. Tennessee won't get you out of Tennessee and PSU has no national rep. Just because your dad has money doesn't mean you should waste it along with 3 years of your life.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Penn State has no national reputation
Worst than that, Penn State has a shit reputation nationally. Its not like anyone associates anything positive or prestigious with Penn State Law, and the Penn State name comes attached with some wretched baggage.

I think if you are from Tennessee, you'll get into UTK. And that is just about it off that list. I hate the re-take advice as much as anyone, but if you have any re-takes left you must re-take. If you don't, I would work on the UTK application and do everything you can to show interest. I was going to apply, but their application is cumbersome and different than everyone else's.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am

vayze wrote:I have TN & TX residency. Would UT - Knoxville (W/ Residency) > Penn?

I am not worried about the cost of attending. My dad (doctor) will be dishing out. I am more worried about the long-term outcome.
fyi this is not an attitude that will make you particularly well liked or appreciated on this thread since almost no one shares these privileged conditions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”