Questions about Transcript Grades

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Matikpa

Questions about Transcript Grades

Postby Matikpa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 pm

I have 2 questions about transcripts:

1. I have a 3.5GPA, but I have a D+ in a Japanese class which isn't apart of my major. Will this hurt my chances to get in or should I retake it?

2. Is it true that law schools only look at the grades in the year one applies? I have transcripts from my community college and I so I want to know if it'll be factored in.

Thanks.

homie1515

Re: Questions about Transcript Grades

Postby homie1515 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Matikpa wrote:I have 2 questions about transcripts:

1. I have a 3.5GPA, but I have a D+ in a Japanese class which isn't apart of my major. Will this hurt my chances to get in or should I retake it?

2. Is it true that law schools only look at the grades in the year one applies? I have transcripts from my community college and I so I want to know if it'll be factored in.

Thanks.

1. It will hurt your chances as far as a 3.5 will hurt your chances. Retaking the class will give you a higher GPA but only very very slightly because the LSAC will count all of your previous grades, even if you UG doesn't.

2. No, they factor in anything you did. Ever. With respect to schooling, of course. lol

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am

They count everything. Take as many easy classes as you can before you graduate and maybe consider postponing graduation.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm

They count everything BEFORE YOU GRADUATE. Once you get your degree....its set in stone.

Also I hate the advice of postponing graduation, you're battling diminishing returns at that point.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:21 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:They count everything BEFORE YOU GRADUATE. Once you get your degree....its set in stone.

Also I hate the advice of postponing graduation, you're battling diminishing returns at that point.

I don't know. I ended up waiting several years after UG to apply to law school. Had I taken a year of extra CC classes, I could have bumped by GPA (3.6) closer to more T14 medians. It would have cost me little compared to potential scholarship money. If you aren't going K-JD, it is TCR.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 am

deputydog wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:They count everything BEFORE YOU GRADUATE. Once you get your degree....its set in stone.

I don't know. I ended up waiting several years after UG to apply to law school. Had I taken a year of extra CC classes, I could have bumped by GPA (3.6) closer to more T14 medians. It would have cost me little compared to potential scholarship money. If you aren't going K-JD, it is TCR.

Assuming you would've made all A's in that additional year of schooling? That's quite the assumption. More progress can be made for much cheaper on the LSAT.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Assuming you would've made all A's in that additional year of schooling? That's quite the assumption. More progress can be made for much cheaper on the LSAT.

I don't know bro, If you can't swing As in 100 level bullshit courses at a community college, maybe you don't belong in law school to begin with.

Return to “What are my chances?”