Splitter help - 3.05

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mjreiss

Splitter help - 3.05

Postby mjreiss » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey there, just want some help about my chances for law school. I don't have a great GPA, and it is only a little above a 3.0. I had some problems freshman year, and started out pre-med, which was not for me at all. I had a strong upward trend though in recent years. I'm a Mathematics major, Poli Sci and Business Studies minor.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I just recently took a diagnostic, which I scored a 156, but I did basically no studying for this. So, with actual dedication to studying, I would say I could get upper 160's, maybe 170? If I do get around a 167, what type of options would I be looking at? I would love to stay in the Northeast, preferably Boston or NY. Where would I be for like BC or BU or Fordham? Do you think I could possible get any money from a top 50?

Thanks!

txdude45

Re: Splitter help

Postby txdude45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:16 pm

mjreiss wrote:Hey there, just want some help about my chances for law school. I don't have a great GPA, and it is only a little above a 3.0. I had some problems freshman year, and started out pre-med, which was not for me at all. I had a strong upward trend though in recent years. I'm a Mathematics major, Poli Sci and Business Studies minor.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I just recently took a diagnostic, which I scored a 156, but I did basically no studying for this. So, with actual dedication to studying, I would say I could get upper 160's, maybe 170? If I do get around a 167, what type of options would I be looking at? I would love to stay in the Northeast, preferably Boston or NY. Where would I be for like BC or BU or Fordham? Do you think I could possible get any money from a top 50?

Thanks!

http://www.mylsn.info/app_checker.php

I'm posting that completely non-sarcastically. Without any additional info (softs, work experience, or URM status) it's hard for people to tell you much you couldn't learn from this website. Play with the LSAT numbers and see what happens.

150s: http://www.mylsn.info/0oiv7s
160s: http://www.mylsn.info/787nsz
170s: http://www.mylsn.info/3677vv

The Boston schools seem to be out of reach, but that's with me excluding URMs, which you may or may not be one of. Fordham is still a coin toss with a 170+

mjreiss

Re: Splitter help - 3.05

Postby mjreiss » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Yeah, I know. I've browsed those calculators. I guess the real answer that I want is about getting money to any place. What would be the best school that might offer me money? Any in Top50?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 pm

My GPA and diagnostic were eerily similar to yours. Improved approx. 10 points with study. Got $$ at two top50s, one in NYC. But both had terrible job outcomes even then. Had to settle for a strong regional T2 with money. Of course, they give out more money these days, but I still wouldn't expect more than 4-5 schools in the T50 to give you money unless you score above 169 in which case you can expect money at 10-15 of them.

Greyhound42

Postby Greyhound42 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

I think my cycle will be of some help to you because I have a 3.06, scored in the low 150's diagnostic, got a 160 on my first test, and a 168 on my second LSAT.
I sent out 16 applications, was accepted everywhere except BC (word is they tend to be a little more holistic and GPA-oriented), but I got into other schools in that range -- GW, Minnesota, WUSTL, BU.
Predicting money is probably a bit more difficult, but I was offered significant $$ at some T30s, and 0 at others.

Either way, everyone is right when they inevitably urge you to just concentrate on the LSAT and do the best you can - it's especially important because of your low GPA.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm

You're not a splitter, you're just a statistic with a bad GPA. Take the LSAT for real, come back, then we can help you. Just assuming you will improve more than 10 points is not smart.

Also, please read the thread titled "Should I create a "What are my chances" thread?". I don't mean to be harsh or rude, but study for the LSAT now and worry about where you'll get into after you get your score.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm

OP, I'm glad you found TLS when you did. You have a low GPA, and that's unfortunate, but you still have a lot of time to take the LSAT and kick ass on it. A 156 diagnostic is not at all uncommon, and there are many, MANY posters on TLS who started out in the 150s range and got high-160s or 170+. But like Robbin Blue said, you're not a splitter yet; you're just a statistic with a bad GPA. You need to do all you can to actually get that high LSAT score, and it's going to take a lot of prep work.

Your next step is to go check out the LSAT forum if you haven't already, and develop a study strategy for the June LSAT. I'd try to take that one, that way you can retake in October if you're not happy with your score. Be prepared to take the exam two or even three times if you need to. The test really is that important. And it goes without saying that if you can get your GPA up at all, you should do everything you can to do so.

Good luck.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Honestly without a GPA we can't really help you. That is what you need to focus on. If you were to score in the 170's you are looking at much better odds than something below that. There are too many variables. My advice study for the LSAT and come back to us. That is the most important factor right now since your GPA is set in stone by now. It is set right? If you don't have your degree you could take some courses to pad it, but I'm not sure i'd be worth the cost of tuition.

Return to “What are my chances?”