2.8-2.9 GPA/ 170+ How far of a stretch is Ohio State?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
osuhopeful

2.8-2.9 GPA/ 170+ How far of a stretch is Ohio State?

Postby osuhopeful » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I'll have an addendum for the low GPA, left school to join the army but didn't withdraw so there's one quarter of E's, otherwise GPA would have been 3.4-3.5 range. I am a double major in PoliSci/History, have 4 years active army, and currently attend OSU (not sure if that will make a difference?) Other softs include 2 years National Guard, a year with Big Brother/Sister program, and I've worked full time the majority of the time I've been in undergrad. Non URM and 1st generation college student.

I'll also have a moral addendum because, as it turns out, I was a moron when I was 20. I forged a doctor's note and have a non-academic misconduct charge as a result. Long story, but I fubar'd. I have nothing else besides a couple speeding tickets.

LOR's will be from either professors, CEO of my employer (a large regional business), or from an army captain. Which will have the best impact considering the moral addendum?

Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but standardized tests are a strong suit and I plan on studying till I'm confident I can make a 170 minimum. I will take LSAT this year though.

If your still reading, what are my chances at OSU?, What impact will the misconduct charge have?, and Which LOR's would be best? I appreciate the help and advice.

Dmini7

Re: 2.8-2.9 GPA/ 170+ How far of a stretch is Ohio State?

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:47 pm

osuhopeful wrote:I'll have an addendum for the low GPA, left school to join the army but didn't withdraw so there's one quarter of E's, otherwise GPA would have been 3.4-3.5 range. I am a double major in PoliSci/History, have 4 years active army, and currently attend OSU (not sure if that will make a difference?) Other softs include 2 years National Guard, a year with Big Brother/Sister program, and I've worked full time the majority of the time I've been in undergrad. Non URM and 1st generation college student.

I'll also have a moral addendum because, as it turns out, I was a moron when I was 20. I forged a doctor's note and have a non-academic misconduct charge as a result. Long story, but I fubar'd. I have nothing else besides a couple speeding tickets.

LOR's will be from either professors, CEO of my employer (a large regional business), or from an army captain. Which will have the best impact considering the moral addendum?

Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but standardized tests are a strong suit and I plan on studying till I'm confident I can make a 170 minimum. I will take LSAT this year though.

If your still reading, what are my chances at OSU?, What impact will the misconduct charge have?, and Which LOR's would be best? I appreciate the help and advice.

1. Take the LSAT and come back with a real score.
2. If you score a 170+, forget Ohio State and ED UVA or apply to Northwestern.

To answer the rest, if you showed true interest in Ohio State, with an LSAT over their 75th you would be a shoe-in even with the low gpa. Personally I would ask all three to write you letters, but your professors/army captain would be the best choices.

Last edit: LSN shows that Ohio State is not too friendly to splitters sub 3.0 (2.8-2.9 is sort of no mans land where you are just as likely to be accepted as rejected with a 170+). Being from the UG should help, but again, you should probably tailor an essay specifically for them to express the interest.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osuhopeful

Postby osuhopeful » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm

I would prefer to stay in Ohio. Ill take OSU if they accept me, even without $$. Gi bill will keep costs down for me. Thanks for the info tho, Ill start looking at UVA.

EDIT: I ran the numbers on LSAC's calculator too. They predicted a 50-75% chance of acceptance, so I wasn't too sure. Will the moral noticeably hurt me? Pretty worried about a mistake I made nearly a decade ago killing my chances at any school.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 pm

osuhopeful wrote:I would prefer to stay in Ohio. Ill take OSU if they accept me, even without $$. Gi bill will keep costs down for me. Thanks for the info tho, Ill start looking at UVA.

EDIT: I ran the numbers on LSAC's calculator too. They predicted a 50-75% chance of acceptance, so I wasn't too sure. Will the moral noticeably hurt me? Pretty worried about a mistake I made nearly a decade ago killing my chances at any school.

I am not too sure how big those issues affect candidates, so I will let someone else answer that, but I would imagine they would realize you have grown up since then and learned from your mistakes, especially since you said its been nearly a decade. Did you go serve in the military before or after that though? I am assuming after since you stated you served 4 years of active duty. If you served after, I would think a small addendum explaining the situation and how you learned from it would be enough.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

You'll definitely have a decent shot with a 170+, community service, and military experience. Lots of people have to write an addendum when they're applying to law school; just keep it short and to the point.

As far as LORs go, I've heard is that they should primarily come from professors because adcomms want to know whether you can succeed academically. If you get an LOR from a previous employer, there's a good chance that they'll say that you're a hard worker, work well with others, etc., which isn't exactly what adcomms are looking for. In your case, it'll probably benefit you to get one LOR from a previous employer. However, it might be good idea to talk with them about it and go over what you would like them to say in the LOR. If you're not sure which employer you want to get an LOR from, you could also probably ask both of them for an LOR and see which one you like best. Definitely submit at least one LOR from a professor though to demonstrate that you can perform academically.

Another thing you can do to boost your chances is to write a diversity statement in addition to your personal statement if the application allows for one (you can do this even if you're not a URM). The diversity statement could help to emphasize any softs that you weren't able to fit into your personal statement (e.g. you could focus on your military and community service experiences in your personal statement and then write a diversity statement about being a first generation college grad).

Also, since you already go to OSU, it probably wouldn't hurt to swing through the admissions office to get more information from them in person.

That being said, if you can get into the T-14, definitely do that instead. I applied to 2L SAs in Ohio over the summer and met with an attorney who said that firms regularly turn down well-qualified OSU students because there aren't enough jobs in Ohio.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 am

Ohio State is not a good law school and I certainly would not waste a 170+ on it. NU and UVA should be the targets if you hit that. Especially considering you have the GI bill to pay for a good chunk of it.

But until you have an actual score, enjoy http://www.mylsn.info. There's nothing we can really tell you without a real score because it's all moot when and if you score a 162 (or whatever).

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 am

If I were you, I would contact your UG and see if there is a chance you could get those bad grades erased for the semester you left to join the military. I'm not sure what terms you left on, but if you framed it right there is at least an ever so slight chance, and that jump in GPA of over half a point is more than worth the effort.

Again, I am a 0L and have no idea/experience/anecdotes of this working, or if LSAC even would allow it to work, but if your low gpa is bc of a semester that you were not in the classroom for, try to get that semester removed. At least look into the possibility. Good luck!

osuhopeful

Postby osuhopeful » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 pm

Jetsfan, I already tried. Because I chose to leave school and enlist, the grades stick.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't think OSU is a particularly splitter-friendly school, though they'd likely be impressed with your softs/addendum.

If you do score in the 170-range and would like to stay in the Midwest / end up in Ohio, apply to IU-Bloomington, Michigan (I know, I know, you're a buckeye, but suck it up), Northwestern, Chicago, Notre Dame, and Case in addition to OSU. I think Michigan or Northwestern would probably be your strongest options, but apply and see what comes up.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Oh well it was worth mentioning- good luck

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Dmini7 wrote:1. Take the LSAT and come back with a real score.

+1

osuhopeful wrote: Ill take OSU if they accept me, even without $$.

Horrible idea.

Return to “What are my chances?”