3.54 GPA / 164 LSAT / Decent Softs and LOR/

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
brandoman

3.54 GPA / 164 LSAT / Decent Softs and LOR/

Postby brandoman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:54 am

3.54 undergrad gpa (brought up from a 2.9 through the first 3 semesters).

I played soccer for my college (D1) for the first year but ended up tearing my quad, so never at a collegiate level again. Grades dropped a lot first semester after injury (kind of depressed/stopped really caring).
President of my fraternity. I was the Treasurer, and New Member Educator as well.
LoR from a County Judge, and a lawyer who runs a firm.
Internships and a bit of Work Experience during college.
Half Honduran (Dad was born there, mom is white), last name is Cortez. However, I grew up relatively affluent so I don't really have a childhood story full of struggles, I'm assuming I still qualify as a URM though?

I guess I'm just curious as to what my chances are for Virginia, Michigan, Penn, NYU ("dream school"), or Minnesota? Also, about what rank of schools should I blanket app for?

Thanks

Davidbentley

Re: 3.54 GPA / 164 LSAT / Decent Softs and LOR/

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:49 am

lishi wrote:The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

Sorry Brah, Hispanic URM status (and Boost) generally only applies to MA's and Puerto Ricans. My guess would be out at all of the above with a possible IN or waitlist at UMINN. Retake time.

ETA:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35568

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
lishi wrote:The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

Sorry Brah, Hispanic URM status (and Boost) generally only applies to MA's and Puerto Ricans. My guess would be out at all of the above with a possible IN or waitlist at UMINN. Retake time.

ETA:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35568

I could see you possibly getting into Minnesota without a retake, though.

brandoman

Postby brandoman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 am

So my half-hispanic ethnicity doesn't give me any form of a boost in chances -- not necessarily a point boost per se, but more of a boost in their "minority" section?

And how many points higher would I need for the lower T-14? Cornell really interests me, but I'm quite fond of Minnesota (family ties and such) so with money I could see myself there as well. Is there any reason not to attend Minnesota?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 am

Moved.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 am

Although you wont get as much of a boost as an MA or Puerto Rican, you will get SOME boost just for being URM (hispanic)

The strongest letters are from professors who oversaw you academically. Law schools care about how well you read,write, and think. Professors can talk about that. Not some judge or lawyer who only saw you staple papers, bring them coffee, and arrive punctually.

Your softs are meh.

Retake in June or October, try to at least get 168+, but when you study don't aim less than 170+

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

brandoman wrote:So my half-hispanic ethnicity doesn't give me any form of a boost in chances -- not necessarily a point boost per se, but more of a boost in their "minority" section?

And how many points higher would I need for the lower T-14? Cornell really interests me, but I'm quite fond of Minnesota (family ties and such) so with money I could see myself there as well. Is there any reason not to attend Minnesota?

I really think that the general wisdom is wrong here. If you mark hispanic you'll get the boost. It's not as much as AA, but it's not inconsequential either. I am hispanic(non-MA/PR) and I scored a clean sweep in fee waivers to T14, got all of the minority/diversity packets, and several hand-written notes from deans (as in, actually a hand-written message). I realize anecdote =/= data, but I don't think my case was anything out of the ordinary this cycle.

In this climate of contracting applications and dog-eat-dog median maintenance, schools will take URMs however they can get them. It's all a game, and if you decide to put your minority chip in, expect to get the benefit. If they can tally one less white male in their class and still maintain medians, you are more valuable than the next white guy with your same numbers.

To be clear though, I absolutely recommend retaking along with the others in this thread. Don't use this boost as an excuse to be lazy on the 45% of your application that LSAT counts (GPA 45%, other 10%).

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
brandoman wrote:So my half-hispanic ethnicity doesn't give me any form of a boost in chances -- not necessarily a point boost per se, but more of a boost in their "minority" section?

I really think that the general wisdom is wrong here. If you mark hispanic you'll get the boost. It's not as much as AA, but it's not inconsequential either. I am hispanic(non-MA/PR) and I scored a clean sweep in fee waivers to T14, got all of the minority/diversity packets, and several hand-written notes from deans (as in, actually a hand-written message). I realize anecdote =/= data, but I don't think my case was anything out of the ordinary this cycle.

In this climate of contracting applications and dog-eat-dog median maintenance, schools will take URMs however they can get them. It's all a game, and if you decide to put your minority chip in, expect to get the benefit. If they can tally one less white male in their class and still maintain medians, you are more valuable than the next white guy with your same numbers.

To be clear though, I absolutely recommend retaking along with the others in this thread. Don't use this boost as an excuse to be lazy on the 45% of your application that LSAT counts (GPA 45%, other 10%).

Did you actually go through the cycle and see any benefit? I am the same as you. If anything I under-performed my cycle. I also think it depends on the school. Mike Spivey or Dean Perez (can't remember which) have some good commentary about this issue.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Did you actually go through the cycle and see any benefit? I am the same as you. If anything I under-performed my cycle. I also think it depends on the school. Mike Spivey or Dean Perez (can't remember which) have some good commentary about this issue.

No I decided to go back to school for to finish an EE degree and sit out another cycle. If you're asking whether I think being any flavor of hispanic would outperform numbers, I think that's doubtful. But my point was that it will break ties against caucasian applicants, because right behind GPA/LSAT is diversity. I don't want to out either of us but if you PM me we can talk more about it (if you want to).

Return to “What are my chances?”