How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kinopy
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 am

How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby kinopy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:29 am

Hi, it's my first post here at TLS, I am at the very early stage of studying for LSAT. I studied at a community college for 2 years and then transferred to UC Berkeley for another two years. My GPAs aren't good, community college GPA is 3.64, and Cal GPA is 3.24. When I apply to law schools, will they only consider my University GPA or an average of both?

Thanks!

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 am

Both.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 am

very carefully

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby nebula666 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:35 pm

average of the two

may be lower/higher depending on the LSAC gpa

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Both, weighted by the number of hours

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby Cobretti » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 pm

nebula666 wrote:average of the two

may be lower/higher depending on the LSAC gpa


Aawaldrop wrote:Both, weighted by the number of hours

I love how the physics major in you couldn't let that stand

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:57 pm

mrizza wrote:
nebula666 wrote:average of the two

may be lower/higher depending on the LSAC gpa


Aawaldrop wrote:Both, weighted by the number of hours

I love how the physics major in you couldn't let that stand


The devil is in the details 8)

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am

kinopy wrote:Hi, it's my first post here at TLS, I am at the very early stage of studying for LSAT. I studied at a community college for 2 years and then transferred to UC Berkeley for another two years. My GPAs aren't good, community college GPA is 3.64, and Cal GPA is 3.24. When I apply to law schools, will they only consider my University GPA or an average of both?

Thanks!


You kidding me right now? (Point value of letter grade x Units for that course)/Total units taken. Take 10 seconds and search lsac.org

lmsf
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: How should I calculate my GPA as a transfer student?

Postby lmsf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
kinopy wrote:Hi, it's my first post here at TLS, I am at the very early stage of studying for LSAT. I studied at a community college for 2 years and then transferred to UC Berkeley for another two years. My GPAs aren't good, community college GPA is 3.64, and Cal GPA is 3.24. When I apply to law schools, will they only consider my University GPA or an average of both?

Thanks!


You kidding me right now? (Point value of letter grade x Units for that course)/Total units taken. Take 10 seconds and search lsac.org


What ManOfTheMinute said. My situation is almost exactly the same as yours. Assuming you don't have any D, F, or Not Pass grades (even if you retook them, the LSAC will still count the original grades and the retake grades, and NPs = Fs), and assuming you took approximately the same # of units at each school, you'll probably end up with around a 3.4 GPA. You have a good shot at T14 if you do really well on the LSAT (aim for 170+). PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blumodernist, criley01 and 4 guests