3.4-3.5 / 170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
homie1515

3.4-3.5 / 170

Postby homie1515 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Hey, Just got my February LSAT score. Where should i be applying too? I really like Penn and Gtown. I know since im a splitter that money wont be on the table for me, so im wondering if I should ED to Penn... Maybe the 2nd ED after first EDing to Gtown? Or should i forgo the Gtown ED and go with RD? What about other schools in the T14?? Where should i send my applications to? Also, should i wait until next round to submit applications because it is already so late and since im a splitter it wont work out favorably? Should i wait until next cycle and retake in june?Anyway, any help would be really appreciated...

Also, I want to go into biglaw. I would prefer DC, FL, CA but will take NY or PA if need be, I'm not too picky about that.

Tiago Splitter

Re: 3.4-3.5 / 170

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Definitely don't ED Georgetown. I wouldn't ED anywhere, but if you absolutely must Penn is probably the way to go. Better move is to apply RD everywhere on day 1 and see what happens. You'll probably get some strong options and retain the ability to negotiate for scholarships.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Definitely don't ED Georgetown. I wouldn't ED anywhere, but if you absolutely must Penn is probably the way to go. Better move is to apply RD everywhere on day 1 and see what happens. You'll probably get some strong options and retain the ability to negotiate for scholarships.

Also here is a applicant that is in the same boat as you this cycle:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/reachingfort14

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:17 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Definitely don't ED Georgetown. I wouldn't ED anywhere, but if you absolutely must Penn is probably the way to go. Better move is to apply RD everywhere on day 1 and see what happens. You'll probably get some strong options and retain the ability to negotiate for scholarships.

Do this. If things start looking bad by January you can consider EDing Penn or UVA but there's no need to do that on Day 1.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 am

I can RD to Penn and switch that to ED later down the road, if I do not hear from them?

So everyone thinks i should blanket the t-14 minus HYS and CCN.

Edit: Thanks Nick for the stats twin. It gives me hope that my 170 wont go to waste, although I'm going to have to pay full tuition to make use of it, but such is life when you dont take shit seriously until your junior year in college :(

After seeing reachingfort14's results I may send an App to Columbia as well. I do not know about NYU, I don't know if i could see myself going to school there. But maybe as a RD applicant I should send 1 over anyway. Same goes with Chicago. In fact, the only reason i would apply to columbia is because it is ranked 4th, again I don't know how I will handle NY with the costs so high.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am

ED UVA. If it doesn't work, ED2 Penn.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 am

homie1515 wrote:Hey, Just got my February LSAT score. Where should i be applying too? I really like Penn and Gtown. I know since im a splitter that money wont be on the table for me, so im wondering if I should ED to Penn... Maybe the 2nd ED after first EDing to Gtown? Or should i forgo the Gtown ED and go with RD? What about other schools in the T14?? Where should i send my applications to? Also, should i wait until next round to submit applications because it is already so late and since im a splitter it wont work out favorably? Should i wait until next cycle and retake in june?Anyway, any help would be really appreciated...

Also, I want to go into biglaw. I would prefer DC, FL, CA but will take NY or PA if need be, I'm not too picky about that.

The bolded is patently false. Different schools have different prices they are willing to pay to maintain their 169 or 170 medians. A 170 can get you money in the lower t14. It nearly guarantees you money outside of the t14 (Vandy, WUSTL, etc.) Don't ED because you lose all of your leverage to negotiate schollys

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 am

jym_dawg wrote:ED UVA. If it doesn't work, ED2 Penn.

I would not ED UVA since you will probably get it RD. If you are dead set on Penn I would ED there but RD T14 minus HYS is not a bad move just be ready to ride out waitlists deep into the cycle for Penn, Columbia, and NYU

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 am

Nickg415 wrote:

I would not ED UVA since you will probably get it RD. If you are dead set on Penn I would ED there but RD T14 minus HYS is not a bad move just be ready to ride out waitlists deep into the cycle for Penn, Columbia, and NYU

Not true - UVA is one of the most competitive T14s for RD. OP is almost certainly out without ED.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 am

Nickg415 wrote:

The reason 'ED UVA' has become a meme on TLS is because Virginia is so splitter-friendly. As crowing said, if OP rolls the dice on RD then his chances are not very good.

Once you're at or above Penn's LSAT floor of 170 then you have a decent (but not great) chance RD, even with a 3.4-3.5. Penn RD is plausible if you submit an app that is polished and tailored to Penn.

GULC ED is a terrible choice as you'd be locking yourself into sticker at a school with questionable employment prospects. You'll probably get into GULC RD, but if your options are Penn or UVA versus GULC at sticker, conventional wisdom is you'd be crazy to take GULC. For the same price, Penn or UVA will give you a much better chance at getting the type of BigLaw job you'll need to pay off your debt.
Last edited by jym_dawg on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

Just from this cycle:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/intlspltr
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jpos27
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/phillygal
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/reachingfort14

There are people who were waitlisted and one who was rejected. All of them within the OP's numbers applied later in the cycle with the exception of the one reject. However, looking at this cycle and some of the schools he was rejected at, there must be other serious issues with his application. OP apply early in the cycle, write convincing Why School X and supplemental essays, have a polished PS that they will remember and RD should get you into most schools Penn on down. If you know Penn is where you want to be you probably wont be getting money if you go in RD so you might as well ED; you should get it. Considering the likely hood that apps will likely be falling the next year (Follow LSAT trends HERE) your chances of a good income increase even more.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:37 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

citylawyer1010

Postby citylawyer1010 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 pm

my friend got into columbia law with same numbers but 2012 cycle

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 pm

With regards to UVA, I don't really want to end up there, But will ED there if necessary when the time comes.

Aside from UVA, I wouldn't really mind going to any of the T14 schools aside from Chicago and Northwestern.

Knowing that, is my best shot at Penn to ED? What do people here think about ED to Columbia or NYU in October
and then Applying ED2 to Penn?

Knowing what i know about schools in NY i think I would like Columbia more than NYU based on the fact that it is
a campus environment (correct me if im wrong). So ED to Columbia and then if that falls through ED2 to Penn?

But i can be fairly certain that my ED to Columbia will be rejected and wouldn't thus just be delaying my chances at
Penn and possibly giving up my spot to another student?

So ED1 to Penn and RD to Every T14 except Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern and UVA?

Can i Apply to Penn RD and change it to ED?

As far as softs go, I started my own company that subsequently failed, I am a Chief Brand Manager for a company
for the past 3 years (I report to the President directly), and i volunteer at the humane society for the past 6
months, plus some odd jobs working with kids, as counselors, etc.

As far as PS goes, mine is a very good one about the heart attack i had which left me with a new lease on life. it
will also serve as an addendum of sorts for my low early GPA.

I also had a DUI that was reduced to a reckless driving.

I am a white male- coming directly out of UG.. Where should i go to school? I want a law school that has a good
business program so i can get a dual degree maybe, but at least take classes from their business school? Is
Penn my best choice that I can get into?

Also how much would a 172+ help me if i retake the LSAT? to get into Stanford (i know dream big, lol) what would i need considering my softs and GPA?

edit: sorry for the stream of consciousness type of flow of this post.
Last edited by homie1515 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
homie1515 wrote:Also, should i wait until next round to submit applications because it is already so late and since im a splitter it wont work out favorably? Should i wait until next cycle and retake in june?Anyway, any help would be really appreciated...

If you can wait, wait. If you can retake, retake. Both waiting to apply until the beginning of next cycle as well as raising your LSAT score will increase your chances of getting into good schools. With a 3.4, your "upper limit" is probably Columbia, but I would throw apps at HYS as well because it is only $300 (at most) we're talking about so what the hell.

Also, regarding your numbers twin: this person is a female with 4 years of work experience. Although nowhere near the boost of a URM, her profile likely unlocked doors that a K-JD white male might not have gotten with similar numbers. I have no idea if you are a K-JD white male, but if you are, your cycle might not turn out quite so well even if you have the same numbers.

Ya, i have come to the conclusion that waiting will be the best bet.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:48 pm

homie1515 wrote:With regards to UVA, I don't really want to end up there, But will ED there if necessary when the time comes.

Aside from UVA, I wouldn't really mind going to any of the T14 schools aside from Chicago and Northwestern.

Knowing that, is my best shot at Penn to ED? What do people here think about ED to Columbia or NYU in October
and then Applying ED2 to Penn?

Knowing what i know about schools in NY i think I would like Columbia more than NYU based on the fact that it is
a campus environment (correct me if im wrong). So ED to Columbia and then if that falls through ED2 to Penn?

But i can be fairly certain that my ED to Columbia will be rejected and wouldn't thus just be delaying my chances at
Penn and possibly giving up my spot to another student?

So ED1 to Penn and RD to Every T14 except Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern and UVA?

Can i Apply to Penn RD and change it to ED?

As far as softs go, I started my own company that subsequently failed, I am a Chief Brand Manager for a company
for the past 3 years (I report to the President directly), and i volunteer at the humane society for the past 6
months, plus some odd jobs working with kids, as counselors, etc.

As far as PS goes, mine is a very good one about the heart attack i had which left me with a new lease on life. it
will also serve as an addendum of sorts for my low early GPA.

I also had a DUI that was reduced to a reckless driving.

I am a white male- coming directly out of UG.. Where should i go to school? I want a law school that has a good
business program so i can get a dual degree maybe, but at least take classes from their business school? Is
Penn my best choice that I can get into?

Also how much would a 172+ help me if i retake the LSAT? to get into Stanford (i know dream big, lol) what would i need considering my softs and GPA?

edit: sorry for the stream of consciousness type of flow of this post.

As someone with your exact stats, I agree with the MVPB and down app strategy suggested elsewhere, maybe throwing in HYS because is there a better way to waste $300?

Northwestern is probably unlikely because you are K-JD. Berkeley as well because of the GPA (unless you are in state).

It should be noted that your DUI is going to be a major problem.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Also, taking a couple years off to get WE and retaking the LSAT are TCR.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 pm

How is your cycle turning out. If you don't mind me asking.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

intlsplitr wrote:It should be noted that your DUI is going to be a major problem.

I don't think that it is an out right problem. I had a similar record but it did not affect me at all. It really comes down to the particulars. First offense? Distance between the offense and your application? Ect... write a good addendum, take responsibility, and you should be fine

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm

homie1515 wrote:How is your cycle turning out. If you don't mind me asking.

My cycle seems to be going well so far - following the numbers for the most part. I was surprised by the fast acceptance at UVA. I think writing a tailored PS (essentially why UVA as part of the PS) helped. My profile is up to date on decisions. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but have some great options already.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 pm

intlsplitr wrote:

My cycle seems to be going well so far - following the numbers for the most part. I was surprised by the fast acceptance at UVA. I think writing a tailored PS (essentially why UVA as part of the PS) helped. My profile is up to date on decisions. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but have some great options already.

Where is your profile?

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:It should be noted that your DUI is going to be a major problem.

I don't think that it is an out right problem. I had a similar record but it did not affect me at all. It really comes down to the particulars. First offense? Distance between the offense and your application? Ect... write a good addendum, take responsibility, and you should be fine

Good points. There have been others on TLS who under perform their numbers because of C&F issues, but it does depend on the particulars. Definitely plan on writing a solid addendum.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:07 pm

homie1515 wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Where is your profile?

Just click on 'profile' at the bottom of my post. It's all there.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:25 pm

intlsplitr wrote:
homie1515 wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Where is your profile?

Just click on 'profile' at the bottom of my post. It's all there.

oF course, im an idiot. When did you submit your apps?

Return to “What are my chances?”