splitter! ... no idea where to apply

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sillymike

splitter! ... no idea where to apply

Postby sillymike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

long time lurker, seeking advice on where to apply. the sentiment here seems to be the lawschoolpredictor is useless for splitters, and lawschoolnumbers.com doesn't seem to have a ton of people in my number range, at least not at my upper target and reach schools.

I know I can get in places starting around the end of Tier 1. What kind of scholarship is possible in the second Tier? First Tier?

What should my reach schools look like? I'm hoping that some schools will bite at my lsat score, will the new rankings affect this next cycle? Some great schools fell (ucla, cal, gulc), i wonder if they might start looking at splitters to either get back up near the top 14 or move up within the top 14.

Where should I apply? I know the "ED UVA" mantra already. But do i have a chance with regular decision at cornell, georgetown, or any of numbers 15-20? Where in the rankings might I start getting scholarships or be able to leverage something? I want to stay on the east coast or move to the west coast, not too interested in the middle of the country.

Thank you everyone. This is a great site.

I'm ready for the cold hard truth.
Last edited by sillymike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Re: splitter! 2.9 / 172... no idea where to apply

Postby Ramius » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm

As I see it, you have two options. You could:

1. Go after the splitter friendly T14, but these will probably be at sticker and not always a great deal.
2. Find the strongest regional in a geographic area you want to practice and pray they will throw some money at you.

If neither of these end up well or you don't like these options (after you've applied and gotten offers), move on and don't be afraid to find something else outside of law school. The only way to negotiate is under the assumption that you're not afraid to walk away. If it's not a good deal, be willing to admit that.

sillymike

Postby sillymike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

might i get money from a place like boston college or university, or UNC? What about further down the line, like davis or pepperdine or CU boulder?

Thank you all :)

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Try LSN and see if anyone has gotten money from these places as a splitter near your numbers. They might, but I think the more likely reality is that you'll get similar money to anyone who is above their 75th LSAT and well below their 25th GPA. I'm in a somewhat similar boat (worse above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA by much less at most reputable schools) and got ~1/3 scholly at BU, in your example. I also carry military service which seems to be a soft that actually matters, but you could see something similar.

sillymike

Postby sillymike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 pm

how should i interpret the data on law school numbers.com? i'm such an extreme splitter that my numbers just don't come up and the data is self-reported. So if they let people in, for example cornell and u-tex austin have both let in one non-urm person with basically my numbers in the last few years, am i thinking that gives me a good shot? or a long shot? or a kinda shot? My guess is that the better your gpa and lsat, the more likely you are to report because you're more involved in school and more committed to law school and probably know about these sites (toplawschools, lawschoolnumbers, etc). I'm guessing there are a lot more data points that aren't reported in splitter territory (maybe they are more likely to be slackers, etc) so i just don't know how to interpret lone dots on lawschoolnumbers.
incidentally, does anyone know what happened to the predictor thing that was on the lsac? i have heard about it but my searches came up empty and the all the links i've found to it are dead.

EDIT: found it! it still exists: https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx

Thank You

Return to “What are my chances?”