Advice?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kite23

Advice?

Postby Kite23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Hello I got recommended this site from a friend (his acc.)
Asking for chance predictions here:
I'm a student in Texas (think Baylor,UT,Texas A&M)
3.6 GPA (first semester was a 2.9 but I worked upwards from that)
with a 165 LSAT
Member of a few clubs, two honor societies and did two internships that total over a year of experience with environmental regulation enforcement. I have always held jobs(cashier, food service,etc.)
and I'm a URM. Whats my chances at UT? or UWashington?
If its not likely can you recommend any good substitute? Ive looked at law school predictor and it say UCLA is a possibleity but I cant really see that happening. Isnt that school tougher than UT?
Would it improve my chances of going into UT law if I did 4 years in the Air force first?

I appreciate any advice

francesfarmer

Re: Advice?

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

You need to aim higher. You are a URM meaning you get a significant boost in admissions. Don't go to UW. Blanket all the top law schools in the country.

http://myLSN.info/ptw7r4

And if you joined the airforce, you would get another significant (but less so) boost in admissions.

Edit: more advice: apply super early in the cycle, because admissions are rolling and its easier to get in earlier.

How did you study for the LSAT? If you got a few more points it could make a huge difference for you.

Do you have an LSAC fee waiver?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I would apply to the whole of the top 20 if I were in your position.

ETA: and maybe a couple of schools in TX like SMU as backups if you want to stay in TX.

Kite23

Postby Kite23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

My heart is set on UT. UWash or UCLA would be 2nd and 3rd choices. I still have one more semester to go.I did some calculations and the lowest I think my GPA will have the potential to fall will be to 3.58 provided I don't go full on fail mode. Fairly confident a 3.6-3.62 will be final. If I have a 3.58 GPA total would that knock me from UT? Would the term in the military get me back into consideration? and no I didn't study for it. I managed to get a one time free deal and looked at guides online and Youtube vids. Love the cat pic btw.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Kite23 wrote:My heart is set on UT. UWash or UCLA would be 2nd and 3rd choices. I still have one more semester to go.I did some calculations and the lowest I think my GPA will have the potential to fall will be to 3.58 provided I don't go full on fail mode. Fairly confident a 3.6-3.62 will be final. If I have a 3.58 GPA total would that knock me from UT? Would the term in the military get me back into consideration? and no I didn't study for it. I managed to get a one time free deal and looked at guides online and Youtube vids. Love the cat pic btw.

Thanks, I'm a crazy cat lady in training.

Did you take a practice LSAT, or a real LSAT administration? I'm confused as to how you got a "one time free deal."

If you really want UT, at least go with a big scholarship. You could go to a much better school with much better employment statistics than UT.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Kite23 wrote:My heart is set on UT. UWash or UCLA would be 2nd and 3rd choices. I still have one more semester to go.I did some calculations and the lowest I think my GPA will have the potential to fall will be to 3.58 provided I don't go full on fail mode. Fairly confident a 3.6-3.62 will be final. If I have a 3.58 GPA total would that knock me from UT? Would the term in the military get me back into consideration? and no I didn't study for it. I managed to get a one time free deal and looked at guides online and Youtube vids. Love the cat pic btw.

OMFG. You have a chance to go to places like Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, etc. (especially if you did a retake) and you are focusing on getting into UT? Dude, you will definitely get into at least one of UT, UWash, or UCLA. Congrats.

Seriously. You need to study hard, retake and get a 170+, and then apply to the entire Top 20 schools with ones like UWash and some TX schools as backups. Keep your GPA up too.

Here is what schools look at, in this order: URM. LSAT. GPA.

If there is a tie between you and another applicant then they look at: Activities/Military. Personal Statement

ps. what kind of URM exactly?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm

First things first, don't use lawschoolpredictor. It's garbage.

Look, if you got a 165 without studying, it would be insane for you not to study and then retake. You're not that far off from being in at all of the T14 but Yale and Stanford (basically never guaranteed) with multiple full-ride offers. You're already in at UT (and several T14 schools). With how close you are to having essentially every option available to you, attending UT on anything less than a full scholarship would be unthinkable.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm

You're URM, I'd blanket the whole T14. Maybe HYS wouldn't let you in, but that's not a given.

If you go and get a 170 by retaking, send us some postcards from New Haven, okay?

Kite23

Postby Kite23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm a Mexican American. I got one free paid LSAT in a essay competition that was sponsored by an alumni of my school. Looking at the schools that are ranked above UT, the only other one I would be interested in is UC Berkeley. I am choosing UT because I live really close to the school and in state tuition rates would cut costs extremely well compared to the other schools which would charge me out of state or as a private school charge me high rates period. I prefer the large public school environment.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Kite23 wrote:I'm a Mexican American. I got one free paid LSAT in a essay competition that was sponsored by an alumni of my school. Looking at the schools that are ranked above UT, the only other one I would be interested in is UC Berkeley. I am choosing UT because I live really close to the school and in state tuition rates would cut costs extremely well compared to the other schools which would charge me out of state or as a private school charge me high rates period. I prefer the large public school environment.

With your scoring potential, you should not accept paying one penny of tuition to attend UT. You could easily receive a full-tuition scholarship with a little LSAT prep and a retake. You're also not far from receiving full-ride offers in the T14 (if tuition costs are behind the bulk of your disinterest in the private schools).

If you think you would qualify for aid based on financial need, YHS give out gobs of need-based grants.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Kite23 wrote:I'm a Mexican American. I got one free paid LSAT in a essay competition that was sponsored by an alumni of my school. Looking at the schools that are ranked above UT, the only other one I would be interested in is UC Berkeley. I am choosing UT because I live really close to the school and in state tuition rates would cut costs extremely well compared to the other schools which would charge me out of state or as a private school charge me high rates period. I prefer the large public school environment.

With your scoring potential, you should not accept paying one penny of tuition to attend UT. You could easily receive a full-tuition scholarship with a little LSAT prep and a retake. You're also not far from receiving full-ride offers in the T14 (if tuition costs are behind the bulk of your disinterest in the private schools).

If you think you would qualify for aid based on financial need, YHS give out gobs of need-based grants.

You should study and retake and apply everywhere. You could potentially go to Yale, Harvard or Stanford for less than what you currently think its going to cost you to go to UT. The sky is literally the limit. Come on.

In the meantime, look at UT's job statistics:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

Only 68% of UT grads have full time, long term legal jobs nine months post graduation. That's not great, and you should aim higher. Leaving the state to go to a higher-ranked school is the best way to get employed in Texas.

Return to “What are my chances?”