Will the law schools know I ditched two colleges? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NYstate

Gold

Re: Will the law schools know I ditched two colleges?

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 am

LateBloomer81 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:You have to submit transcripts for all schools you've attended, so yes, law schools will see this information.
Right, but how will they know I attended these schools? Also, the transcripts won't be released because of non payment. If I keep my mouth shut, how will they find out?
How much do you owe these schools? Do you have any student loans that are in default?

You should not go to law school. Law has changed dramatically and it is no guarantee of even getting a job, much less a way to boost your career into a better career and upper middle class life.

You need to make decisions based on the market now.

FWIW: Vermont is one school rumoured to be one of the first schools to close due to declining admissions. NYLS is one of the worst law schools in the country. They charge almost as much as Harvard, or is COA more? And they have been sued by their students. The Deans may face ethical charges based on the holding in the case. Google it and read about the cases.

Read: Do not go to law school unless by Paul Campos, it costs about $5 and you can read it on a kindle app. Short of that read his blog Inside the Law School Scam.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 am

EvilClinton wrote:And any class you took after you got your initial degree (I think you mentioned some CC classes) won't count in your LSAC GPA.

I'm taking some post-bac courses soon, so I was wodering about this. Are you sure it wouldn't count?

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:54 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:And any class you took after you got your initial degree (I think you mentioned some CC classes) won't count in your LSAC GPA.

I'm taking some post-bac courses soon, so I was wodering about this. Are you sure it wouldn't count?
yes

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 am

Read this piece by the Alabama Bar Association before going to law school --LinkRemoved--

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:04 am

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:

yes

Great. Now I'm probably going to procrastinate my ass off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:07 pm

A better strategy would be to consider paying off your debt (depends on how much you owe) and having your grades dismissed from your record.

Each school has certain polices on how this is done. Look in your course catalog for the 1st year you were enrolled.

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Dude, you have a great career, don't give it up for five, six figure debt, and a slim chance of a job. If you have debt now that you can't pay off, is it even a good idea to add more? Just because your dad wanted it for you, or you really want it, are not good enough reasons at this time to enter law school and waste three years of possible employment and giving yourself a huge burden that you may never get rid of. You have a life now, don't start over. If you're interested in the law, there are tons of books that you could read, or other mediums, but really reconsider this.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Don't even think of doing something so stupid. When the state bar conducts its character and fitness investigation into you and discovers this (which they will), your law degree and any scholarships will be rescinded and you will be left with nothing but six figures of non-dischargeable debt.

It's an insult to everyone that plays by the rules that you would seriously contemplate doing this. Please don't become a lawyer. The profession has enough scumbags already.
I actually think OP would make a great lawyer based on his/her comments here.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:13 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:
Homelandsagreatshow wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:

yes

Great. Now I'm probably going to procrastinate my ass off.
Why are you taking post bac classes if youre applying to lawl school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 am

dr123 wrote:
Why are you taking post bac classes if youre applying to lawl school?
At my future law school, I may apply to the joint JD-MBA program once I've completed a year. I think I'll need to show greater quantitative aptitude to get in, so that's why I'm planning on taking some math, econ, finance, and accounting courses.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:49 am

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 am

Get 172 on your LSAT, apply for part time at Georgetown and see if you get more than half tuition scholarship. then you should seriously consider going to law school and you can keep your career going on the side and spend time with your kids. don't do it for those other options, they will not employ you.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

If you have a great career now, forget law school. Seriously.

Also, if you have a great career, why aren't you paying down your debt? That's pretty irresponsible, and it may prevent you from being able to borrow for law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
LateBloomer81 wrote:Sorry sorry, I didn't know it was that serious. So now, what are my chances. With a 3.86 GPA at graduation, and one FFFDD semesetr at one college, and an FfDDC semester at another college. This was about 10 years ago so my grades may have been slightly better, but I doubt any worse, I'm going by memory right now.

Considering it was 10+ will a simple addendum suffice to have them overlook this? I was depressed weighting over 300 lbs, and in my 20s. It was not a great time in my life. I'm now married, with kids, and a great career.
That 3.86 will be computed closer to a 2.5-3 GPA considering all the Fs and Ds. Sorry bro but that GPA will keep you out of the t14 and most of the tier one schools (even with an addendum). That is just the reality of rankings.

You should consider something other than law school.
Evilclinton this is completely false. A high enough LSAT and he can still get into a T20 school even with a 2.5(granted some top 50s he'll be an auto reject.)

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
wbrother wrote:
LateBloomer81 wrote:Sorry sorry, I didn't know it was that serious. So now, what are my chances. With a 3.86 GPA at graduation, and one FFFDD semesetr at one college, and an FfDDC semester at another college. This was about 10 years ago so my grades may have been slightly better, but I doubt any worse, I'm going by memory right now.

Considering it was 10+ will a simple addendum suffice to have them overlook this? I was depressed weighting over 300 lbs, and in my 20s. It was not a great time in my life. I'm now married, with kids, and a great career.
Just curious, why law school?
So much this.
I agree with these posters. If you have a "great career" and want to BEGIN YOUR LAW CAREER BY LYING, WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE SOMEONE WHO PROFESSES TO UPHOLD AND PROTECT THE LAW? Makes no sense.

You may be surprised at what law schools are willing to overlook if you are 100% HONEST AND 1,000,000% CONTRITE.

Your funeral if you lie, to reiterate what someone said earlier. You'd be a fool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”