Great improvement on my February LSAT; applications open? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
klipsch3212

New

Great improvement on my February LSAT; applications open?

Post by klipsch3212 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:29 am

Hi Guys,

So I just got a 169 on the February LSAT, and have already applied to a bunch of schools back in december with my old score, telling them to wait for my new score before processing.
My LSAC gpa is a 3.3x, my GPA in major is a 3.82, my GPA for the last 2 years has been a 3.88 (last few semester grades were 3.8, 3.88 and a 4.0, all at the MAX credit load, all upper division classes. so upward trend))
I am a double Business major in Finance/International Business minor in economics from a state school. Low GPA is from back when I was an English Education major.. and loathed it passionately.

Average softs - 2 international internships (subsidiaries of Pratt And Whitney), 2nd chair french horn wind symphony, Director of the university radio station, Sound technician for the university event management staff.. included my semi-professional music experience (teaching, organizing events, managing a band and performance in various instruments *main was lead guitar + backing vocals*; my band was employed as the house band of the local college bar scene - so it was all paid work (except charity shows, obviously).

My #1 choice is UCLA.. i've done 2 summer programs there (3.92 average for all 5 courses) and I absolutely, absolutely adore the school. I have a targeted personal statement + program-mic contribution (Entertainment Law - I want to represent musicians; particularly in Charity/Benefit shows), and very strong letters (one from a Professor of mine - JD from UMich/LLM Boston College/PHD MIT - testified before congress on behalf of ERISA 6 times, and he LOVES ME (busts my balls all the time) also independent study advisor and he gets lunch with me sometimes and has promised to get a beer with me when I graduate in 2 months). I feel my statement was very well-written and honest, and quite different from the norm.

2nd is USC.. told them how a trojan is only good once but a Bruin is forever.. followed by a video of me doing the 12-clap and asking them how they felt when UCLA kicked their ass at the rose bowl... and a video of my ucla friends and I TP'ing their sign..

Safeties are University of San Diego and Loyola Law (How much money do you think i'll get?)
I applied to others that I am no longer considering.

What do you think my chances are? Predictor says around 40 something % and LSN has a bunch of similar stats with about 1/3 accepted, 2/3 waitlisted - no rejects. Wondering what my chances at UCLA or USC (I actually really like this school too) are.. and if there are any other places I could shoot an APP to that are between my safety and reaches (I have no target schools basically). Non-california resident.

How much will the declining apps impact my admission chances?

Oh, and the forum members who encouraged me to retake - thank you :)

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Great improvement on my February LSAT; applications open?

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 am

Guessing out at UCLA and maybe waitlist or out at USC (especially if we are talking this cycle). Even if accepted will not get enough money to make attending worthwhile. Other schools you applied to are not worth it.

Retake and aim higher. NU and UVA seem like good targets if you can squeeze out a few more points. 169 is kind of a no mans land (especially with a low gpa).

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the honesty!

Is there any chance I'd be wait listed at Ucla? If I get wait listed at either ill retake in June! I missed a rule in lg and because of that Blind guessed on 5 questions.

Pts since October were 167-177 work an average of about a 172

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:59 pm

klipsch3212 wrote:Thanks for the honesty!

Is there any chance I'd be wait listed at Ucla? If I get wait listed at either ill retake in June! I missed a rule in lg and because of that Blind guessed on 5 questions.

Pts since October were 167-177 work an average of about a 172
Sure there's a chance. But WL to accept most likely equals sticker and that's not a good idea at USC/UCLA. You probably won't get a job that can pay off that type of debt. Retake and shoot for NU and UVA. I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either of those two schools but they are a lot safer than sticker at USC/UCLA.

#splitterproblems

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey man, I actually won't be going into debt for it at all. An acceptance at sticker would be a dream come true for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 pm

If your parents are filthy rich and don't mind spending money on an investment that has like a 40% or greater chance of not paying off and you don't mind potentially wasting three years of your life then go wherever makes you happy. I genuinely mean that.

YOLO bro

The GPA is too low for UCLA/USC I think. I would still shoot for NU/UVA after the retake. I think both would be a lot of fun to attend and you don't have the big law pressure that most people would have. You are in an ideal situation.

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Not so much filthy rich so much as completing my undergrad for $20,000 - compared to $200,000 for some people. I also have no biglaw interests and am looking to move to California for boutique firm work; $60,000 would be nice. Interesting work will always trump a higher paycheck for me, and I am aware how fortunate I am to get a JD with no debt.

I also applied to UC Irvine and Hastings

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:00 pm

What makes you say that? I'm pretty sure he could pay off debt at sticker going to UCLA/USC.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:14 pm

bruin91 wrote:What makes you say that? I'm pretty sure he could pay off debt at sticker going to UCLA/USC.
40% of the graduates from these schools don't even become lawyers.

Why do you think paying off sticker debt wouldn't be overly difficult for most people?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bruin91 wrote:What makes you say that? I'm pretty sure he could pay off debt at sticker going to UCLA/USC.
40% of the graduates from these schools don't even become lawyers.

Why do you think paying off sticker debt wouldn't be overly difficult for most people?
See username in question

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 am

So basically, the adcoms won't care that I've averaged a 3.9 gpa for the last two years taking Max course load and all upper division classes including grad level econometrics?

:(

Jesus I worked so hard over the last two years JUST for Ucla. I made them aware of it in my statement :/

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:39 am

If I could travel back in time I'd find my 18 year old self and kick his ass

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am

klipsch3212 wrote:So basically, the adcoms won't care that I've averaged a 3.9 gpa for the last two years taking Max course load and all upper division classes including grad level econometrics?

:(

Jesus I worked so hard over the last two years JUST for Ucla. I made them aware of it in my statement :/
No, all they care about is your lsac gpa. And UCLA is a nice school and all but they aren't splitter friendly and there are significantly better schools out there that are.

Retake, squeeze out a few more points, and enjoy UVA/NU. Much better chance at getting a good job and/or a lawyer job period and you don't have to worry about debt. You're in a great spot, I'm envious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

I got an unsolicited fee waiver from UVA last week with 3.4/168 (deadline is 3/31, but if this cycle is anything like last cycle, they'll probably be among many schools still accepting applications in July). You might have a shot at UVA sticker or small scholarship if that interests you. Probably it shouldn't, but if you're committed to going this year, I think you could do worse than UVA sticker.

As a splitter, you're unlikely to get great scholarship offers anywhere, and so mid T14 at sticker is probably your best bet unless there is a great regional school in your immediate area (and it sounds like there isn't).

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

klipsch3212 wrote:If I could travel back in time I'd find my 18 year old self and kick his ass
Wouldn't we all?

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Thank you that is good advice. Would studying in Virginia or Illinois adversely affect my chances of passing the California bar exam? There are quite a few factors drawing me to SoCal. I'm from Connecticut and thus we have only 3 schools- one toilet, one 2nd tier (uconn) and Yale - cant really stay here haha.

I'm not sure about the retake since 169 was definitely the mode.. And only 2 points below my pt average (some 176+ scores skewed it but these were old exams and my raw score has remained around a 90. I did diagram a rule wrong in LG and that cost me points.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm

You're not even from CA??? Then definitely don't go to UCLA/USC. Tough market to crack and unless you get good grades you would probably be SOL.

UVA or NU or bust.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Law school predictor gives me a 39%- weak consider at Ucla. I know that it fails at predicting splitters but law school numbers has a few people with similar stats who got in too.

Is there a 0% chance of Ucla at sticker? Or just really slim?

It's hard for me to explain, but I did not give 2 shits about school until I did a summer program there (mock trial at Ucla law) so I have sentimental reasons that are admittedly irrational.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 pm

According to the most recent data we have only about 60% of the class at UCLA got lawyer jobs. You have to assume you will end up right at median. Median at UCLA without any CA ties will almost certainly preclude you from getting a good job and maybe any legal job at all.

Retake, shoot for UVA or NU. One or two more points is probably all you need.

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Very sound advice - I shall do so. However, if Ucla opens up I'll still have to take it :P sorry

Btw, I heard most successful applicants to northwestern have 2 years of work experience; is this true?

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:36 pm

http://myLSN.info/loem5p

Mess around with that to get an accurate depiction of where you stand. As you can tell, there will not be many people with your exact numbers, but it looks like UCLA will almost certainly waitlist you. Also, don't worry about Loyola or USD. You should be in at both of them and with substantial money. I would expect more from USD since they do not care as much about GPA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

wow! Great site but it looks more like the multiplicative time-series composition im working on more than a college predictor haha

changing the LSAT to "168-169" gives me 27% at ucla and 43% at USC - i'll take it

If I do get waitlisted at either of those schools, would it be worth my while to retake in June to try and get off the waitlist?

Thank you!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 am

klipsch3212 wrote:wow! Great site but it looks more like the multiplicative time-series composition im working on more than a college predictor haha

changing the LSAT to "168-169" gives me 27% at ucla and 43% at USC - i'll take it

If I do get waitlisted at either of those schools, would it be worth my while to retake in June to try and get off the waitlist?

Thank you!
If those are your goal schools, it'll be worth your time to retake the LSAT regardless.

I'd only advise people take sticker if its HYS, maybe CCN. Otherwise, you're going to get a heckuva lot of debt, and you won't be assured of a job that can pay it off.

Take some time off, save up some money, and retake the LSAT while you're at it. Work experience is a nice soft to have.

klipsch3212

New

Post by klipsch3212 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

President,

With UCLA/USC so splitter unfriendly, what would be the LSAT score required to get some money from them?

And I hate to say this but i'd probably rather not go to law school than move to virginia or chicago :-/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”