165 LSAT, 3.7 GPA Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rebecca20

New

165 LSAT, 3.7 GPA Chances?

Post by Rebecca20 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

I have a 3.7 GPA and 165 LSAT. I'm a Business-Finance and Marketing major at a Northeast University. Not URM but had a pretty unique 6 month internship at Amazon. Thinking of going dual JD/MBA. What are my chances at:

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

Thanks! :)

Ave

Bronze

Re: 165 LSAT, 3.7 GPA Chances?

Post by Ave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't know how "unique" this Amazon internship is but first, you will have difficulty getting into a decent MBA program without any substantial WE. And second, since there aren't any peculiar aspects in your application, these will help you:
Law School Numbers
Law School Predictor

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:34 pm

reTTTake

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Rebecca20 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a 3.7 GPA and 165 LSAT. I'm a Business-Finance and Marketing major at a Northeast University. Not URM but had a pretty unique 6 month internship at Amazon. Thinking of going dual JD/MBA. What are my chances at:

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

Strong chance at: GW, Notre Dame (make sure to write optional essay), possibly USC/outside chance texas. These would all be at full price, except ND.

No shot in hell at the rest. Believe me when I tell you that law school admissions is completely a numbers game. Softs matter but only far behind the numbers, and the softs are mattering less and less as schools need to protect their medians. If neither of your numbers are at median, you best case scenario is waitlist and eventual reject. You are lucky that your 3.7 is desirable, but just two more points on the LSAT will give you a decent shot at Cornell. You need to retake.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Ave wrote:I don't know how "unique" this Amazon internship is but first, you will have difficulty getting into a decent MBA program without any substantial WE. And second, since there aren't any peculiar aspects in your application, these will help you:
Law School Numbers
Law School Predictor
Forget LSP. It's garbage. Use LSN and myLSN.info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lampshade0520

New

Post by lampshade0520 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 am

i have similar stats and i just got into berkeley and 54K at ND and I applied super late. don't give up hope. but i would suggest a retake because paying sticker is no bueno almost anywhere

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 am

Ave wrote:I don't know how "unique" this Amazon internship is but first, you will have difficulty getting into a decent MBA program without any substantial WE. And second, since there aren't any peculiar aspects in your application, these will help you:
Law School Numbers
Law School Predictor

TITCR.. you might get into the GW MBA.

hopingtogetin

New

Post by hopingtogetin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:39 pm

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

I have your GPA and a 167 LSAT and I applied to a couple schools on your list (Gtown, GWU, UVA, and Vandy). I got into GWU but got waitlisted at Gtown and Vandy, and rejected from UVA. Unless you've like also cured cancer you'll prob also get rejected at Columbia. Idk about the others. Hope it helps.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Cornell and Georgetown are your only hopes in the T14 and they would both be at sticker.

A 170 would lock up NYU down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

You need to retake. A few points would make an enormous difference.

Also, why do you want a JD/MBA? Unless you have a concrete reason for it, don't do it.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:15 pm

nebula666 wrote:Cornell and Georgetown are your only hopes in the T14 and they would both be at sticker.

The second part of your statement, not necessarily true

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:14 pm

FlowBro wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Cornell and Georgetown are your only hopes in the T14 and they would both be at sticker.

The second part of your statement, not necessarily true
Well, yeah, a 180 and 4.0 doesn't "necessarily" meant that you will get into Yale. Looking at similar applicants gives you a pretty good idea though. I should have probably said OP was still out at Berkeley.

http://myLSN.info/o9iz3d

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I agree with previous poster than "lock" is a significant exaggeration. If he hits both medians and has halfway decent LORS/PS/WE, then he can count on acceptance at NYU, but that would require a 172. With 170, dangling at 25ths, my impression is would need something to stand out (maybe this amazon internship if he can tie it in well to specialization?) to be in a strong position with NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:20 pm

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

I know its shitty, but if you really want THESE law schools, you should retake your LSAT for 2 more points to be sure. I think USC is definitely possible, but it might be off a WL and you'll still be paying sticker.

Have you considered Minnesota?

Also, whats your GMAT?

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 am

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

Am I really the only one who thinks the OP has a good chance at Georgetown if she applies Early Decision? I mean her LSAT is slightly below GULC's 25th percentile (167) but the GPA is above their median (3.67). A binding application, combined with softs that OP says are "pretty unique", could lead to a favorable decision.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm

GW1010 wrote:

NYU
Gerogetown
GWU
UT
UVA
Cornell
UCLA
USC
Notre Dame
Vandy
Columbia

Am I really the only one who thinks the OP has a good chance at Georgetown if she applies Early Decision? I mean her LSAT is slightly below GULC's 25th percentile (167) but the GPA is above their median (3.67). A binding application, combined with softs that OP says are "pretty unique", could lead to a favorable decision.
I haven't bothered checking the numbers on that because honestly it's irrelevant. GULC ED is not a good decision.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:You need to retake. A few points would make an enormous difference.

Also, why do you want a JD/MBA? Unless you have a concrete reason for it, don't do it.
I want to echo this sentiment. Don't try for an MBA if you don't even know if/why you would need it except that it seems better to have one. It's super expensive and may not be useful for you. It will also be difficult to gain entry into any reputable MBA program without substantial work experience.

If you don't want to retake, you really should just consider schools that will give you a full ride. This will be pretty much any school where your GPA and LSAT are above both medians except American and Brooklyn. If you don't like what that list of schools looks like, pick your favorite LSAT score and then look at what the list of schools your GPA/LSAT* are above medians. This will encourage you toward the logical conclusion of retaking the LSAT.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:38 pm

NYU- Denied
Georgetown- Denied
GWU- In
UT- Denied
UVA- Denied
Cornell- Denied
UCLA- WL
USC- WL
Notre Dame- In
Vandy- WL
Columbia- Denied

You need to retake. You are unquestionably out at T14. You *might* sneak into the bottom of the T20 but you'll be paying sticker. Retake

Your amazon internship won't help

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”