what are my chances? (Someone please help)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
marcieann

what are my chances? (Someone please help)

Postby marcieann » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 pm

First off, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum, since people tend to get infuriated if you ask this elesewhere. anyway,

Here is my situation: I took the LSAT and scored a 170. I was told by someone that scores of such are a rare commodity. However, I am wondering if it is easier for testtakers to score in that range with less law school applicants this year. So I am not here to say I did great, just that is the only strength of my application.

Now onto to the bad....I have a low gpa which makes me a splitter and I apologize for being yet another splitter posting on here. But my gpa is close to a 2.4 (On my transcript it is a 3.3) ...

I was never lackadaisical, unmotivated in my college career. I have read other people who have had great reasons for their low gpa, like chronic illness and healthproblems. In my case, I had been in undergrad for longer than most people I know. 9 years from 2003-2012. From 2003-2011, I suffered from undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder. Unfortunately for me, it was never suspected by parents, family members, teachers, coworkers, my boss. I dropped many courses in my undergrad career and my transcript is like a sea of non-punitive W's, from being ill, I missed classes during that period, stayed in bed some days not leaving my apartment, was fired from over 10 jobs, noone ever suspecting I had bipolar, just treating me like I was deliberately doing all of these things. In 2011, I was diagnosed with Bipolar, and have been getting the needed help ever since. I have bad grades scattered throughout, however, the first year I attended college I had a 4.0 before things became out of control, and the last year (Fall 2011-Spring 2012) I had a 4.0 gpa, but in between are a number of negative grades and dropped classes. People keep telling me it wasnt my fault, however.

So...I have a 2.4/170 ... should I write an addendum? If I do, wont that be a red flag not to admit me because although I am taking medicine and better now, wont admcomms be leery of admitting someone with a previous psychiatric history? are there rules against people with former mental health problems in the legal profession? Also my school offers late withdrawals, but I dont have medical documentation from those years, when I was undiagnosed so even if a Dr. did verify in a statement what I said, they are going to veto my petition for withdrawal since I wont be able to prove to them why I could withdrawal from negative courses at the deadline.

What school could I get into with a 2.4/170 and good LOR, PS, and addendum (if I should)? and should I write an addendum?

racrfish

Re: what are my chances? (Someone please help)

Postby racrfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

No advice on your chances, but:

marcieann wrote:However, I am wondering if it is easier for testtakers to score in that range with less law school applicants this year.

The LSAT is made to be equally difficult across all offerings across all years so that a 2012 170 is equal to a 2009 170. They wouldn't make the exam easier simply because less people are taking it. That's ridiculous.

marcieann wrote:and should I write an addendum?

I absolutely would.

thand42292

Re: what are my chances? (Someone please help)

Postby thand42292 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 am

marcieann wrote:First off, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum, since people tend to get infuriated if you ask this elesewhere. anyway,

Here is my situation: I took the LSAT and scored a 170. I was told by someone that scores of such are a rare commodity. However, I am wondering if it is easier for testtakers to score in that range with less law school applicants this year. So I am not here to say I did great, just that is the only strength of my application.

Now onto to the bad....I have a low gpa which makes me a splitter and I apologize for being yet another splitter posting on here. But my gpa is close to a 2.4 (On my transcript it is a 3.3) ...

I was never lackadaisical, unmotivated in my college career. I have read other people who have had great reasons for their low gpa, like chronic illness and healthproblems. In my case, I had been in undergrad for longer than most people I know. 9 years from 2003-2012. From 2003-2011, I suffered from undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder. Unfortunately for me, it was never suspected by parents, family members, teachers, coworkers, my boss. I dropped many courses in my undergrad career and my transcript is like a sea of non-punitive W's, from being ill, I missed classes during that period, stayed in bed some days not leaving my apartment, was fired from over 10 jobs, noone ever suspecting I had bipolar, just treating me like I was deliberately doing all of these things. In 2011, I was diagnosed with Bipolar, and have been getting the needed help ever since. I have bad grades scattered throughout, however, the first year I attended college I had a 4.0 before things became out of control, and the last year (Fall 2011-Spring 2012) I had a 4.0 gpa, but in between are a number of negative grades and dropped classes. People keep telling me it wasnt my fault, however.

So...I have a 2.4/170 ... should I write an addendum? If I do, wont that be a red flag not to admit me because although I am taking medicine and better now, wont admcomms be leery of admitting someone with a previous psychiatric history? are there rules against people with former mental health problems in the legal profession? Also my school offers late withdrawals, but I dont have medical documentation from those years, when I was undiagnosed so even if a Dr. did verify in a statement what I said, they are going to veto my petition for withdrawal since I wont be able to prove to them why I could withdrawal from negative courses at the deadline.

What school could I get into with a 2.4/170 and good LOR, PS, and addendum (if I should)? and should I write an addendum?

Did you graduate already? With mental health problems some people can retroactively withdraw in which case you could take a year or two more at 4.0 before applying and be solid. Some schools might also let you retroactively P/F a class. You could try talking to your registrar. Otherwise you're riding super spliter city which could go good or bad.

Return to “What are my chances?”