Need some guidance, any help would be appreciated!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Burkel

Need some guidance, any help would be appreciated!

Postby Burkel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 am

Hi there! I have been browsing these forums occasionally but this is my first time posting so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum.

As the subject states I need some guidance regarding what kind of law school I can reasonably expect to get into, if I should even bother applying, etc.

The situation:

-UCLA Political Science Graduate
-Film Minor
-4.0 GPA from UCLA
-3.8 GPA from community college
-Graduated with College Honors
-No significant work exp.
-Member of Alpha Lambda Delta
-Not URM, Asian/white female
-Married, "older" student (late 20s)
-Have not taken the LSAT, but have scored consistently between 170-175 on practice tests

Problems:

-I have 5 withdrawals from my CC, they were from 2007/2009 and were due to financial hardship and family obligations
-I have 3 withdrawals from my first two terms at UCLA because of a serious illness, with medical documentation
-Neither school considers these Ws punitive
-I have one "F" from my CC (which was the result of a semester I didn't completely withdrawal from) which was replaced with an "A" via academic renewal. I know that LSAC does not support academic renewal and that this will lower my GPA.

With all of this in mind, I am just hoping to get an idea of:
-What schools are reasonable to aim for
-How badly these withdrawals will impact my admission
-How I should handle/adress the issue of my Ws in an application
-If I can get into a top 20 school
-Any other advice.

I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback. I am a realist and would love to go to law school but I won't go if I cannot get into a decent school because the cost is just too great.

Thank you in advance!

Return to “What are my chances?”