MBA's influence on admission Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
guano

Gold

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.
You don't get the kind if softs that make a difference by being a special whiny little snowbitch

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

guano wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.
Who are you and what qualifies you to make this statement?
(Particularly when a former admissions officer is stating the opposite)

I am speaking from personal experience. Based on my UGPA and LSAT score, I wasn't going to apply to any T1 schools. But, after speaking with admission officers, I was encouraged to apply. I'm very happy that I decided to do so. I have been admitted to most of the schools that I have applied to. I wrote a very good GPA addendum and was sure to point out that I now have a MBA, graduated with honors and worked full time the entire time.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:38 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.
Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.
I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote: I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p6092020

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.
I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.
Do you fall into an underrepresented minority category? I ask because I think a lot of schools will say "you should apply for this soft factor" because they are understandably a bit uncomfortable saying "You look like an underrepresented minority and thus we really really need you to apply". I hope that does not sound in the least bit anything other than what it is, which is my observations from many years experience. Indeed, I am VERY much in favor of heterogeneous law schools rather than any kind of homogeneity. Obviously I do not speak for anyone but myself with this observation, and certainly no other schools. BUT, everything you have said about having an MBA giving a significant boost in admissions contradicts everything that I personally know...which is why I think it might not be the MBA that elevated anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:07 pm

She's AA

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
Do you fall into an underrepresented minority category? I ask because I think a lot of schools will say "you should apply for this soft factor" because they are understandably a bit uncomfortable saying "You look like an underrepresented minority and thus we really really need you to apply". I hope that does not sound in the least bit anything other than what it is, which is my observations from many years experience. Indeed, I am VERY much in favor of heterogeneous law schools rather than any kind of homogeneity. Obviously I do not speak for anyone but myself with this observation, and certainly no other schools. BUT, everything you have said about having an MBA giving a significant boost in admissions contradicts everything that I personally know...which is why I think it might not be the MBA that elevated anything.
Yes, I am an URM. I understand your point completely too. It's quite sad actually to think that they would lie about the MBA being a boost.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm

guano wrote:She's AA

Wow! thanks for answering FOR me.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
guano wrote:She's AA

Wow! thanks for answering FOR me.
No offense intended. ChampagnePapi actually linked your old post but it looked like MikeSpivey didn't see. I didn't know when you'd be back, so I just summarized.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote: I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p6092020

Uhhhh.. OK.. dont' get your point....

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
Yes, I am an URM. I understand your point completely too. It's quite sad actually to think that they would lie about the MBA being a boost.
I agree, but also I think it is a very complex societal issue. For me the real sadness rests in the very minimal pipeline to law schools for URM applicants, and I think this starts at the junior high and high school level. Early on in my career i was lucky enough to get involved with high schools whose student bodies were almost entirely underrepresented minority and had the chance to speak to them about law school and a legal career. I think we need kids to be aware that they can do anything at an early age to help solve some of the disparity of enrollment that law schools and the legal profession suffer.

sid.bahl

New

Post by sid.bahl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.
Who's crying? I was just asking a question.

sid.bahl

New

Post by sid.bahl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 pm

...And thank you everyone for your help. I think my numbers are good enough to get in anyways but I was just curious as to how much it would affect my chances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
I agree, but also I think it is a very complex societal issue. For me the real sadness rests in the very minimal pipeline to law schools for URM applicants, and I think this starts at the junior high and high school level. Early on in my career i was lucky enough to get involved with high schools whose student bodies were almost entirely underrepresented minority and had the chance to speak to them about law school and a legal career. I think we need kids to be aware that they can do anything at an early age to help solve some of the disparity of enrollment that law schools and the legal profession suffer.

I agree with you 100%. I hope to be able to make a difference in that area as well.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

sid.bahl wrote:
Who's crying? I was just asking a question.
That wasn't actually specifically directed at you, I just assumed you were relying on this type of thing to take you over the top in admissions. TLS is littered with people who think what they do beyond their numbers should make the entire difference in the world, but it rarely does. Sorry about making you the subject about my off-hand observation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”