MBA's influence on admission

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.

You don't get the kind if softs that make a difference by being a special whiny little snowbitch

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

guano wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.

Who are you and what qualifies you to make this statement?
(Particularly when a former admissions officer is stating the opposite)



I am speaking from personal experience. Based on my UGPA and LSAT score, I wasn't going to apply to any T1 schools. But, after speaking with admission officers, I was encouraged to apply. I'm very happy that I decided to do so. I have been admitted to most of the schools that I have applied to. I wrote a very good GPA addendum and was sure to point out that I now have a MBA, graduated with honors and worked full time the entire time.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:38 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.


Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.


I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.


viewtopic.php?f=9&t=198558&p=6092020#p6092020

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.


Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.


I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.


Do you fall into an underrepresented minority category? I ask because I think a lot of schools will say "you should apply for this soft factor" because they are understandably a bit uncomfortable saying "You look like an underrepresented minority and thus we really really need you to apply". I hope that does not sound in the least bit anything other than what it is, which is my observations from many years experience. Indeed, I am VERY much in favor of heterogeneous law schools rather than any kind of homogeneity. Obviously I do not speak for anyone but myself with this observation, and certainly no other schools. BUT, everything you have said about having an MBA giving a significant boost in admissions contradicts everything that I personally know...which is why I think it might not be the MBA that elevated anything.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:07 pm

She's AA

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.


Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.


I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.


Do you fall into an underrepresented minority category? I ask because I think a lot of schools will say "you should apply for this soft factor" because they are understandably a bit uncomfortable saying "You look like an underrepresented minority and thus we really really need you to apply". I hope that does not sound in the least bit anything other than what it is, which is my observations from many years experience. Indeed, I am VERY much in favor of heterogeneous law schools rather than any kind of homogeneity. Obviously I do not speak for anyone but myself with this observation, and certainly no other schools. BUT, everything you have said about having an MBA giving a significant boost in admissions contradicts everything that I personally know...which is why I think it might not be the MBA that elevated anything.


Yes, I am an URM. I understand your point completely too. It's quite sad actually to think that they would lie about the MBA being a boost.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm

guano wrote:She's AA



Wow! thanks for answering FOR me.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
guano wrote:She's AA



Wow! thanks for answering FOR me.

No offense intended. ChampagnePapi actually linked your old post but it looked like MikeSpivey didn't see. I didn't know when you'd be back, so I just summarized.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:I would have to disagree because I was given a significant boost. But, I will admit, that I have alot of soft factors.


viewtopic.php?f=9&t=198558&p=6092020#p6092020




Uhhhh.. OK.. dont' get your point....

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
Yes, I am an URM. I understand your point completely too. It's quite sad actually to think that they would lie about the MBA being a boost.


I agree, but also I think it is a very complex societal issue. For me the real sadness rests in the very minimal pipeline to law schools for URM applicants, and I think this starts at the junior high and high school level. Early on in my career i was lucky enough to get involved with high schools whose student bodies were almost entirely underrepresented minority and had the chance to speak to them about law school and a legal career. I think we need kids to be aware that they can do anything at an early age to help solve some of the disparity of enrollment that law schools and the legal profession suffer.

sid.bahl
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby sid.bahl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.


Who's crying? I was just asking a question.

sid.bahl
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby sid.bahl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 pm

...And thank you everyone for your help. I think my numbers are good enough to get in anyways but I was just curious as to how much it would affect my chances.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Sweetlady75 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
Yes, I am an URM. I understand your point completely too. It's quite sad actually to think that they would lie about the MBA being a boost.


I agree, but also I think it is a very complex societal issue. For me the real sadness rests in the very minimal pipeline to law schools for URM applicants, and I think this starts at the junior high and high school level. Early on in my career i was lucky enough to get involved with high schools whose student bodies were almost entirely underrepresented minority and had the chance to speak to them about law school and a legal career. I think we need kids to be aware that they can do anything at an early age to help solve some of the disparity of enrollment that law schools and the legal profession suffer.



I agree with you 100%. I hope to be able to make a difference in that area as well.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Postby Ramius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

sid.bahl wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.


Who's crying? I was just asking a question.


That wasn't actually specifically directed at you, I just assumed you were relying on this type of thing to take you over the top in admissions. TLS is littered with people who think what they do beyond their numbers should make the entire difference in the world, but it rarely does. Sorry about making you the subject about my off-hand observation.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests