MBA's influence on admission Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sid.bahl

New

MBA's influence on admission

Post by sid.bahl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi all. I'm applying for admission for this coming Fall. I graduated with my BSBA in 2009 and will be finishing my MBA this May. I've gotten far better grades in my MBA program than I did in my undergraduate studies mainly because I have an understanding on how to approach my education now. I've been working full time for over 6 years working with trusts/estates so I've gotten good legal exposure. I'm only 25 too so I think all of that works in my favor.

That being said, how much do you think my MBA will influence my candidacy? I'm applying to T1-T2 schools in LA, Chicago, NYC, and Boston.

guano

Gold

Re: MBA's influence on admission

Post by guano » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

sid.bahl wrote:Hi all. I'm applying for admission for this coming Fall. I graduated with my BSBA in 2009 and will be finishing my MBA this May. I've gotten far better grades in my MBA program than I did in my undergraduate studies mainly because I have an understanding on how to approach my education now. I've been working full time for over 6 years working with trusts/estates so I've gotten good legal exposure. I'm only 25 too so I think all of that works in my favor.

That being said, how much do you think my MBA will influence my candidacy? I'm applying to T1-T2 schools in LA, Chicago, NYC, and Boston.
zilch

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 pm

guano wrote:
sid.bahl wrote:Hi all. I'm applying for admission for this coming Fall. I graduated with my BSBA in 2009 and will be finishing my MBA this May. I've gotten far better grades in my MBA program than I did in my undergraduate studies mainly because I have an understanding on how to approach my education now. I've been working full time for over 6 years working with trusts/estates so I've gotten good legal exposure. I'm only 25 too so I think all of that works in my favor.

zilch
+1 from a fellow MBA graduate

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Less than 1 LSAT point

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Why not use your MBA instead of going to law school? Prospects aren't amazing especially coming out a T1-T2, you seem to have/had a full time job, and you'll not be working for three years due to law school.

A lot of people go to law school because they don't have better prospects. Then again, if you know why you're going and expect/know you can make more than you were/are making, go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sid.bahl

New

Post by sid.bahl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I've long wanted to get into corporate law and that's part of the reason why I went for the easier graduate degree (MBA) first. With both, I think I'd be in a great position from both an academic and professional experience standpoint.

Does the fact that I completed both my undergraduate and graduate degrees WHILE working full-time help me at all? Given the fact that law school is so time-intensive and requires excellent time management skills, I'd assume that would be a significant factor.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 pm

sid.bahl wrote:Does the fact that I completed both my undergraduate and graduate degrees WHILE working full-time help me at all? Given the fact that law school is so time-intensive and requires excellent time management skills, I'd assume that would be a significant factor.
It has zero to do with admissions.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 pm

LSAT/ [undergrad] GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 pm

--
Last edited by tachikara on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 pm

sid.bahl wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I've long wanted to get into corporate law and that's part of the reason why I went for the easier graduate degree (MBA) first. With both, I think I'd be in a great position from both an academic and professional experience standpoint.

Does the fact that I completed both my undergraduate and graduate degrees WHILE working full-time help me at all? Given the fact that law school is so time-intensive and requires excellent time management skills, I'd assume that would be a significant factor.
Add half a point to your LSAT. Then round down.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm

guano wrote:
sid.bahl wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I've long wanted to get into corporate law and that's part of the reason why I went for the easier graduate degree (MBA) first. With both, I think I'd be in a great position from both an academic and professional experience standpoint.

Add half a point to your LSAT. Then round down.
I concur.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Totally missed this earlier.

the quick answer is, dumb move.
I doubt you graduated at 25 from the kind of business school that'd make a difference. Great from the knowledge standpoint, and that will help in later life, but that's about it

sid.bahl

New

Post by sid.bahl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I'd like to get into corporations law specifically. That's always interested me. I've worked for US Trust for 6 years so I have quite a bit of experience with estates/trusts so that's also an option. I did it more for the knowledge I'd gain. I completely understand that my law degree will make me or break me. I guess I'm a bit surprised at how little it matters from a law admissions standpoint.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:00 am

sid.bahl wrote:I'd like to get into corporations law specifically. That's always interested me. I've worked for US Trust for 6 years so I have quite a bit of experience with estates/trusts so that's also an option. I did it more for the knowledge I'd gain. I completely understand that my law degree will make me or break me. I guess I'm a bit surprised at how little it matters from a law admissions standpoint.
I know a lot about this. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am

sid.bahl wrote:I'd like to get into corporations law specifically. That's always interested me. I've worked for US Trust for 6 years so I have quite a bit of experience with estates/trusts so that's also an option. I did it more for the knowledge I'd gain. I completely understand that my law degree will make me or break me. I guess I'm a bit surprised at how little it matters from a law admissions standpoint.
There are actually at least three reasons, two which I mostly agree with:

1. Is not factored into US News & world Report Rankings (not a great reason but it is reality)

2. Has very little differentiable value, in that the vast preponderance of graduate gpas are very high. Law school admissions is entirely about differentiating from the applicant pool.

3. Unlike uGPAs, I am unaware of any research that correlates graduate gpas with law school or 1st year law school performance.

So, in general, it has no real impact on the admissions process other than having the degree itself which may slightly differentiate. Surely it will help you in your career.

sid.bahl

New

Post by sid.bahl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks all for your advice!

How do you think the fact that law school applications are significantly down would affect this? Do you think admissions teams would look at non-traditional factors more favorably?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am

If you have good work experience, that could be a small boost and help differentiate you from other applicants.

come back when you have an LSAT score

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 am

sid.bahl wrote:Thanks all for your advice!

How do you think the fact that law school applications are significantly down would affect this? Do you think admissions teams would look at non-traditional factors more favorably?
quite the opposite, it means that they'll be even more obsessed with numbers as they'll be struggling to maintain their medians

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:02 pm

sid.bahl wrote:I'm applying to T1-T2 schools in LA, Chicago, NYC, and Boston.
Raise your standards.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:Contrary to what everyone else in here seems to believe, your mba will count as a good soft factor. If your grades are much better than they were in undergrad, then it shows that you are capable of doing well in school. Also, the fact that you have worked full time the entire time will also be quite impressive to the adcom.
Who are you and what qualifies you to make this statement?
(Particularly when a former admissions officer is stating the opposite)

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Key word SOFT. May act as a tiebreaker with literally everything else equal with a K-JD, but how often is that the case? Very few soft factors play a significant role in admissions decisions. From what I've seen on LSN and here, URM (not exactly a soft, but definitely the biggest difference maker if counted), military vet, and maybe PhD seem to give a real boost. If there are any Olympic medalists, NYT bestsellers and a few VERY unique softs out there, they would presumably get a boost as well, but they're an extreme minority.

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 pm

As someone who also had 4+ years of work experience and an MBA before starting law school, I believe it made no difference on my admissions cycle. Perhaps if given the same grades/LSAT as someone straight out of undergrad I got a boast but that is about it. However I feel the work experience/MBA really helped when it came to OCI's. I did well this past semester but not top 10% of my class well and I got interviews that some who fell in that catergory did not and I really do attribute that to the MBA (any type of grad degree might have gotten the same treatment) and my work experience.

Good Luck!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 pm

It's a little funny how often people cry desperately for their softs to make a difference in admission decisions while the majority of people who have softs that might legitimately help rarely say anything about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”