Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Does a Harvard GPA get a boost?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 72

Ti Malice

Re: Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 am

holmesboy wrote:
enigmabk wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Is everything basically ripping on this guy because he goes to Harvard?

read the first 2 pages

Okay, I skimmed the first two pages, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think it's that illogical to wonder if a 3.3 from Harvard will fare better than a 3.5 from the University of Phoenix.

Unfortunately for you, OP, law schools are numbers whores, and the consensus is that your GPA will generally only help you on the margins (e.g., toss up between two candidates).

That said, crying about Harvard GPA inflation or implying that it's easier to make good grades at Harvard is a little absurd. H attracts students of a slightly different caliber than does the University of Phoenix.

It's not that it's easier to pull a high GPA at Harvard. It's that getting less than a B at HYP takes real effort. Think of it as institutionalized downside protection. (And no one said anything about UofP.)

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:The only reason I brought grades from Harvard as potentially being not as critical was because of this email from Georgetown:

At the Law Center, we understand the importance of reading each and every application in its entirety, and the Admissions Committee will take all aspects of an application into account when making admissions decisions.

The Admissions Committee at Georgetown Law does not desire to fit applicants into a single mold, but instead looks for the unique strengths and experiences of each application. I would encourage you to focus your current efforts on ensuring that the remainder of your application materials (personal statement, optional essays, letters of recommendation) are as strong as possible. Additionally, I would recommend continuing to participate in what you are most interested in and enjoying the remainder of your time at Harvard University.

I hope this information is helpful as you make your future plans. If you have additional questions about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Unfortunately, that sounds like boilerplate "holistic review" language. Holistic review is pretty much a flame for law schools. They need lots of applicants because they need $ and they need lots of people to reject.

If you want Georgetown, focus on putting in the time to ensure that your LSAT is over 170.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 am

Ti Malice wrote:
holmesboy wrote:
enigmabk wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Is everything basically ripping on this guy because he goes to Harvard?

read the first 2 pages

Okay, I skimmed the first two pages, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think it's that illogical to wonder if a 3.3 from Harvard will fare better than a 3.5 from the University of Phoenix.

Unfortunately for you, OP, law schools are numbers whores, and the consensus is that your GPA will generally only help you on the margins (e.g., toss up between two candidates).

That said, crying about Harvard GPA inflation or implying that it's easier to make good grades at Harvard is a little absurd. H attracts students of a slightly different caliber than does the University of Phoenix.

It's not that it's easier to pull a high GPA at Harvard. It's that getting less than a B at HYP takes real effort. Think of it as institutionalized downside protection. (And no one said anything about UofP.)

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense. However, a 3.3 GPA does not mean "less than a B."

Plus, I would leave Princeton out; P is certainly not known for grade inflation.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 am

With your GPA and average/slightly above average softs, GULC is a toss up at 170, probable at 171, and a lock at 172+.

http://myLSN.info/e9z37u

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:The only reason I brought grades from Harvard as potentially being not as critical was because of this email from Georgetown:

At the Law Center, we understand the importance of reading each and every application in its entirety, and the Admissions Committee will take all aspects of an application into account when making admissions decisions.

The Admissions Committee at Georgetown Law does not desire to fit applicants into a single mold, but instead looks for the unique strengths and experiences of each application. I would encourage you to focus your current efforts on ensuring that the remainder of your application materials (personal statement, optional essays, letters of recommendation) are as strong as possible. Additionally, I would recommend continuing to participate in what you are most interested in and enjoying the remainder of your time at Harvard University.

I hope this information is helpful as you make your future plans. If you have additional questions about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

OP the reason the hate wagon came to town was the way you approached the subject and lack of use of the search function.
What it boils down to is that HYP may give you a slight boost but not enough to cover .1 difference in GPA or a whole point on the LSAT.
Your best bet is to get your GPA up if possible and score as well as you can on the LSAT (170+). Increasing these scores will impact your chances more than getting a degree from Harvard. Soft factors can make a difference but a degree from HYP is not something very special in the admissions office. People posted resources like mylsn.info and lawschoolnumbers.com which have information of people who applied and their results.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 am

This post actually made me reconsider law school altogether somewhat - and I really appreciate the serious posts.
I'll still apply.

If the LT Gov race goes well, maybe I'll stay in Boston for a while, then maybe DC.... maybe never law school, maybe when I do get to DC it will be night school at Gtown if I think it's at all necessary. Maybe it's not.

I'm just trying to make as big as an impact on education and defense policy as possible through political action, so if Law isn't necessary then I'll keep building the path. I'll still apply and appreciate your honesty. Especially the dude ragging my sobriety claiming lunatic confidence is more appealing than subtle power.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:With your GPA and average/slightly above average softs, GULC is a toss up at 170, probable at 171, and a lock at 172+.

I think he's in with a 170. But it might take a WL, preferred WL, or special group within the preferred WL. And it'll likely be at sticker. Georgetown will want some Harvard kids so its incoming class looks nice.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 am

LSAT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UG

Hit median at GW (167) or GULC (169) and youll probably get in.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am

What's your thought on GW?

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am

holmesboy wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:With your GPA and average/slightly above average softs, GULC is a toss up at 170, probable at 171, and a lock at 172+.

I think he's in with a 170. But it might take a WL, preferred WL, or special group within the preferred WL. And it'll likely be at sticker. Georgetown will want some Harvard kids so its incoming class looks nice.

Maybe, maybe not hence the term "toss up." But yeah... LOL @ Georgetown at sticker.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am

Wow you folks are the real reason to use this site.

Thanks for the new advice. Props.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This post actually made me reconsider law school altogether somewhat - and I really appreciate the serious posts.
I'll still apply.

If the LT Gov race goes well, maybe I'll stay in Boston for a while, then maybe DC.... maybe never law school, maybe when I do get to DC it will be night school at Gtown if I think it's at all necessary. Maybe it's not.

I'm just trying to make as big as an impact on education and defense policy as possible through political action, so if Law isn't necessary then I'll keep building the path. I'll still apply and appreciate your honesty. Especially the dude ragging my sobriety claiming lunatic confidence is more appealing than subtle power.

Personally, from what you've stated about your goals, I don't think it would be the best fit. That may change in a year or later. Plus, law school is gonna be there later waiting to take your money.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:What's your thought on GW?

Crap TTT with atrocious employment statistics filled with wannabe politicos that couldn't get into any other prestigious NE law school and think they're going to be a Senator some day.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This post actually made me reconsider law school altogether somewhat - and I really appreciate the serious posts.
I'll still apply.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you've got some pretty school plans. And you're not losing much if you decide you'd rather not be surrounded by us aspie, type A, douchebag law students.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
holmesboy wrote:

Maybe, maybe not hence the term "toss up." But yeah... LOL @ Georgetown at sticker.

Yeah, I didn't understand the term "toss up." Thanks for clearing that up.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 am

Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 am

holmesboy wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:It's not that it's easier to pull a high GPA at Harvard. It's that getting less than a B at HYP takes real effort. Think of it as institutionalized downside protection. (And no one said anything about UofP.)

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense. However, a 3.3 GPA does not mean "less than a B."

Plus, I would leave Princeton out, which is certainly not known for grade inflation.

I didn't say it was less than a B. But a 3.3 is not that far from a B average, and at a school where a B is essentially the floor in most classes, it's really not that impressive.

I think the point still applies to Princeton, despite its grade deflation on the high end. It's tougher to get a very high GPA at P, sure, but it's also still quite tough to pull a sub-3.0.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:06 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Crap TTT with atrocious employment statistics filled with wannabe politicos that couldn't get into any other prestigious NE law school and think they're going to be a Senator some day.

Has too much competition in an over saturated market with a high cost of living. Even solid scholarships don't make it very enticing.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:06 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:BTW:

Got into Harvard with way low SATs.
1390 - 2020
4.24 GPA
Years on campaigns and many committees.
Personable interviews.
No legacy = needed aid.

In case this is useful for other forum topics.

Now I'm starting to hate you too because I didn't get in with a 2380. Jokes. It seems like politics is your thing, so you need to think seriously about if/why you need law school.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 am

Likely not worth it unless you can keep your debt under 100k total (incuding UG debt).

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 am

Ti Malice wrote:
holmesboy wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:It's not that it's easier to pull a high GPA at Harvard. It's that getting less than a B at HYP takes real effort. Think of it as institutionalized downside protection. (And no one said anything about UofP.)

Plus, I would leave Princeton out, which is certainly not known for grade inflation.

I didn't say it was less than a B. But a 3.3 is not that far from a B average, and at a school where a B is essentially the floor in most classes, it's really not that impressive.

I think the point still applies to Princeton, despite its grade deflation on the high end. It's tougher to get a very high GPA at P, sure, but it's also still quite tough to pull a sub-3.0.

I didn't say it's super impressive. But pulling a B+ in every class or a mixed bag of B's and A-'s isn't as bad as some people here are making it seem. Getting an average to slightly below average grade at Harvard is fine when you consider the level of students racking up the A's.

I do agree that it's tough to pull a sub-3.0.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:21 am

This is why I am particularly connected to the "well-rounded" admission as opposed to a strict mathematical formula.
Rec letters can go a long way.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This is why I am particularly connected to the "well-rounded" admission as opposed to a strict mathematical formula.

Meh

All schools front being holistic. In the end, they are almost all USNWR whores. Including GW and GULC.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 am

To give you actual advice, or at least to echo others in here, you are going to need a 170 to get admitted to GULC. But that is not to say you'll get much or any scholarship. Same goes with GW, who at least when I applied offered you nothing or $105,000. Both of the schools have massive graduating classes in one of the most competitive markets in the country. If you want to work in D.C. you will be competing with 1100 other students from GULC/GW + hundreds of other students from the rest of the T14 including Penn and UVA, which are not too far in proximity.

The point being: sticker at GW or GULC is not a very good idea. You're gonna have to really crush the LSAT to snag some money to make those schools worth it. American might offer you money, but the employment situation there probably isn't worth it even at a discount.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This is why I am particularly connected to the "well-rounded" admission as opposed to a strict mathematical formula.

Get a high LSAT. The only schools that really have "well-rounded" admissions are Yale and Stanford. But they are only holistic after seeing you have a high LSAT and a near perfect GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”