Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Does a Harvard GPA get a boost?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 72

BelugaWhale

Re: Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I can easily resist the urge because I'm not insecure :)

ironic

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Love you guys <3 .... Vote D

Humor/Sarcasm is a defense mechanism

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 am

TheThriller wrote:
RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Then again I could always do part time night school and secure a job.

I have a feeling you just like to hear yourself talk (or read yourself type).

confirmed

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 am

American University Law School sounds like the place for you. What do you think top lobbyists on the Hill make? Shouldn't be too hard right?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 am

I am thankful however, that you will not be returning to your alma mater for law school

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

I'm enrolled at the law school in 2 classes right now thank you very much.

Haters make me greater. This has helped me tremendously.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I'm enrolled at the law school in 2 classes right now thank you very much.

With that logic, enroll for classes in all the Harvard schools, you'll come out with TONS of degrees.

The LSAT will be hard for you.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I'm enrolled at the law school in 2 classes right now thank you very much.

If I loved you would that make you smaller? Because I'm willing to do whatever it takes at this point

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I'm not looking for placement, I EARNED the political connections.

All I need is to BE in DC.

Alright then. Perhaps you should go to American on a scholarship in order to minimize debt.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 am

Just in case you failed to understand my first post:

Taking a class in a specific university school (school of law, business) does not mean you are in their degree program.

The LSAT will be hard for you.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

Is everything basically ripping on this guy because he goes to Harvard?

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 am

holmesboy wrote:Is everything basically ripping on this guy because he goes to Harvard?

read the first 2 pages

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 am

Yeah dude. It's at the point where it's beyond amusing and there are 11 of us here in the dining hall reading this in pure bliss.
Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 am

I'm just glad he got over his sobriety. The alcohol is what gives him his fuckitall daring and Imtheshit confidence.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 am

you sound like an idiot, bro. politics is low-brow. you make it sound like you've been trolling Capitol Hill giving out "services."

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 am

enigmabk wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Is everything basically ripping on this guy because he goes to Harvard?

read the first 2 pages

Okay, I skimmed the first two pages, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think it's that illogical to wonder if a 3.3 from Harvard will fare better than a 3.5 from the University of Phoenix.

Unfortunately for you, OP, law schools are numbers whores, and the consensus is that your GPA will generally only help you on the margins (e.g., toss up between two candidates).

That said, crying about Harvard GPA inflation or implying that it's easier to make good grades at Harvard is a little absurd. H attracts students of a slightly different caliber than does the University of Phoenix.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:35 am

holmesboy wrote:
enigmabk wrote:

read the first 2 pages

Okay, I skimmed the first two pages, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think it's that illogical to wonder if a 3.3 from Harvard will fare better than a 3.5 from the University of Phoenix.

Unfortunately for you, OP, law schools are numbers whores, and the consensus is that your GPA will generally only help you on the margins (e.g., toss up between two candidates).

That said, crying about Harvard GPA inflation or implying that it's easier to make good grades at Harvard is a little absurd. H attracts students of a slightly different caliber than does the University of Phoenix.

People went a bit overboard (but TLS so yeah), but OP made a comparison to Penn State (1st page) so not as drastic as Pheonix.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 am

Aawaldrop wrote:
holmesboy wrote:
enigmabk wrote:

read the first 2 pages

People went a bit overboard (but TLS so yeah), but OP made a comparison to Penn State (1st page) so not as drastic as Pheonix.

I guess I kinda glossed over that (as I said, skimmed). But fair enough. I could see how that might rub people the wrong way.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:39 am

OP, the country needs more people like you in public service.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:41 am

Alright, so OP doesn't get much of a boost but there has been SOME documented proof of HYP undergrad giving a minimal boost at the upper end.

I've always wondered WHY there's even a little boost at these schools, because there's massive gpa inflation anyway there. Why don't elite engineering/science oriented schools which are consistently deflated get a similar boost (I'm looking at you, MIT/CalTech)? Aren't they the ones who need it more, and aren't they equally preftigious?

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 am

Huey Freeman wrote:Alright, so OP doesn't get much of a boost but there has been SOME documented proof of HYP undergrad giving a minimal boost at the upper end.

I've always wondered WHY there's even a little boost at these schools, because there's massive gpa inflation anyway there. Why don't elite engineering/science oriented schools which are consistently deflated get a similar boost (I'm looking at you, MIT/CalTech)? Aren't they the ones who need it more, and aren't they equally preftigious?

The students make higher grades, on average, but the average student who attends is also smarter (at least measured by success in high school and SAT scores).

But I agree with you on your second point.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 am

PSU was more of an inside jab for me and a joke because my Grandpa and Dad graduated me there and they fight me to this day that it's a better school.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 am

Huey Freeman wrote:Alright, so OP doesn't get much of a boost but there has been SOME documented proof of HYP undergrad giving a minimal boost at the upper end.

LSAT, GPA, and URM in that order make up somewhere around 90-95% of the admissions process. Prestigious scholarships, high level PhDs and scholarly work, significant military duty, and recognizable fame for whatever make up about 2-7%.

If you want to waste time parsing the rest of that small remaining % go for it but please don't pretend like it's some game changer.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:PSU was more of an inside jab for me and a joke because my Grandpa and Dad graduated me there and they fight me to this day that it's a better school.

Yeah, I think people on here are blowing that out of proportion. Of course, that's to be expected because this is TLS, and no one knew that it was an inside jab.

Postby 20130228 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 am

The only reason I brought grades from Harvard as potentially being not as critical was because of this email from Georgetown:

At the Law Center, we understand the importance of reading each and every application in its entirety, and the Admissions Committee will take all aspects of an application into account when making admissions decisions.

The Admissions Committee at Georgetown Law does not desire to fit applicants into a single mold, but instead looks for the unique strengths and experiences of each application. I would encourage you to focus your current efforts on ensuring that the remainder of your application materials (personal statement, optional essays, letters of recommendation) are as strong as possible. Additionally, I would recommend continuing to participate in what you are most interested in and enjoying the remainder of your time at Harvard University.

I hope this information is helpful as you make your future plans. If you have additional questions about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Return to “What are my chances?”