Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Does a Harvard GPA get a boost?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 72

Flips88

Re: Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 am

Nova wrote:
RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This is why I am particularly connected to the "well-rounded" admission as opposed to a strict mathematical formula.
Rec letters can go a long way.

Meh

All schools front being holistic. In the end, they are almost all USNWR whores. Including GW and GULC.

Yeah, if you want holistic, apply to Berkeley.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 am

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:This is why I am particularly connected to the "well-rounded" admission as opposed to a strict mathematical formula.

Unless you're URM, military, Rhodes, Fulbright, or Marshall then you are flat wrong.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 am

Flips88 wrote:
Nova wrote:

Meh

All schools front being holistic. In the end, they are almost all USNWR whores. Including GW and GULC.

Yeah, if you want holistic, apply to Berkeley.

Isn't his GPA a little low for Berkeley?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

holmesboy wrote:Isn't his GPA a little low for Berkeley?

That's an understatement.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 am

holmesboy wrote:

Isn't his GPA a little low for Berkeley?

Yeah, it wasn't a serious suggestion. The guy seems all in on DC and doesn't realize that even if he is admitted to GULC, goes at sticker, and finishes at median, he'll still be #300 in his class, which is larger than most other T14 class sizes by itself.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 am

You guys are riding OP hard, but if he was an URM, the eliteness of, say, a Harvard or a Princeton undergrad would provide a sizeable bump in law school admissions. Assuming the numbers are the same, URM's with elite undergrads usually fare better than URM's from regular undergrads.

In addition, I think most of us didn't know law school admissions was so numbers driven during our years in undergrad. If we could all go back in time, I bet a lot of us would gun real, real hard for a 4.0. Obviously we didn't intentionally get "B's" in undergrad, but we would have spent even more time than we already did in the library to gun for a 4.0.
Last edited by bizzybone1313 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:You guys are riding OP hard, but if he was an URM, the eliteness of, say, a Harvard or a Princeton undergrad would provide a sizeable bump in law school admissions. Assuming the numbers are the same, URM's with elite undergrads usually fare better than URM's from regular undergrads.

In addition, I think most of us didn't know law school admissions was so numbers driven during our years in undergrad. If we could all go back in time, I bet a lot of us would gun real, real hard for a 4.0. Obviously we didn't intentionally get "A's" in undergrad, but we would have spent even more time than we already did in the library to gun for a 4.0.

I don't think we'd ride him so hard if he weren't so smug

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
holmesboy wrote:Isn't his GPA a little low for Berkeley?

That's an understatement.

Haha, true dat. I'm trying this new thing where I'm not unnecessarily confrontational.

I'm also trying this new thing where I don't talk about people behind their backs.

Plus, his avatar is Serge Ibaka, so there's a 99% chance he's awesome. And he has 17k posts, so he probably already knows about Berkeley being a GPA whore.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 am

holmesboy wrote:Haha, true dat. I'm trying this new thing where I'm not unnecessarily confrontational.

I'm also trying this new thing where I don't talk about people behind their backs.

Plus, his avatar is Serge Ibaka, so there's a 99% chance he's awesome. And he has 17k posts, so he probably already knows about Berkeley being a GPA whore.

Got waitlisted with a 4.0. I ain't even mad.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:37 am

You guys are idiots if you don't think it is a boost. Yes, gpa and last affect usnwr but so do employment outcomes especially with the new methodology. Harvard UG helps secure jobs. Period.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:37 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:You guys are riding OP hard, but if he was an URM, the eliteness of, say, a Harvard or a Princeton undergrad would provide a sizeable bump in law school admissions. Assuming the numbers are the same, URM's with elite undergrads usually fare better than URM's from regular undergrads.

In addition, I think most of us didn't know law school admissions was so numbers driven during our years in undergrad. If we could all go back in time, I bet a lot of us would gun real, real hard for a 4.0. Obviously we didn't intentionally get "B's" in undergrad, but we would have spent even more time than we already did in the library to gun for a 4.0.

This. I agree with this 100%. I didn't know how numbers-driver law schools were until I started lurking on TLS. And I really wish I could go back and actually put in a modicum of effort in undergrad.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:41 am

laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are idiots if you don't think it is a boost. Yes, gpa and last affect usnwr but so do employment outcomes especially with the new methodology. Harvard UG helps secure jobs. Period.

Most helpful post of 2013. In all seriousness, I never even considered the employment outcome portion of the rankings. Good point.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 am

holmesboy wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are idiots if you don't think it is a boost. Yes, gpa and last affect usnwr but so do employment outcomes especially with the new methodology. Harvard UG helps secure jobs. Period.

Most helpful post of 2013. In all seriousness, I never even considered the employment outcome portion of the rankings. Good point.

I have a more practical undergrad degree than probably 90% of law students. I hope this gives me a bump in admissions.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am

holmesboy wrote:

But admission comms don't really care about that unless they are down to one last spot and have a Harvard UG vs. Shithole State School with the exact same stats. At best it will be a tie breaker in the end. But if there's a guy from Shithole State U with a 175/3.3, I'm guessing he'll get in before Harvard bro with a 169/3.3.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am

The most magnificent thing about TLS circle jerk echo chambering is that it doesn't matter. If you were op and got a 168 you'd still apply to gulc. And GW. And American (if free)

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am

Flips88 wrote:
holmesboy wrote:

But admission comms don't really care about that unless they are down to one last spot and have a Harvard UG vs. Shithole State School with the exact same stats. At best it will be a tie breaker in the end. But if there's a guy from Shithole State U with a 175/3.3, I'm guessing he'll get in before Harvard bro with a 169/3.3.

Oh snap. It's not a 6 point boost?!?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am

holmesboy wrote:

Quoted for HoF 2013

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
holmesboy wrote:

Quoted for HoF 2013

I'd rather my thoughts about the irrelevance and unqualifiedness of TLS thoughts on admissions chances be submitted to my 2013 hoff review board.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 am

OP you need to apply to American ASAP. It is an excellent school for your goals.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 am

rad lulz wrote:OP you need to apply to American ASAP. It is an excellent school for your goals.

Harvard undergrad to American law. That would be a damn shame. I know a guy that went from Cornell undergrad to Emory and from Penn undergrad to UT law. These guys did what OP is going to have to do: Go from an elite undergrad to a mediocre law school, when they should have done it the other way around.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:OP you need to apply to American ASAP. It is an excellent school for your goals.

Harvard undergrad to American law. That would be a damn shame. I know a guy that went from Cornell undergrad to Emory and from Penn undergrad to UT law. These guys did what OP is going to have to do: Go from an elite undergrad to a mediocre law school, when they should have done it the other way around.

Dude have you done any reading about American? The schools programs mesh perfectly with OPs goals.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 am

rad lulz wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Dude have you done any reading about American? The schools programs mesh perfectly with OPs goals.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:56 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:

UT and Emory are both well regarded institutions you snooty guy.

holmesboy

Postby holmesboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:56 am

This is finally getting good.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 am

bizzybone1313 wrote: from Penn undergrad to UT law. These guys did what OP is going to have to do: Go from an elite undergrad to a mediocre law school,

Only on TLS :lol:

Return to “What are my chances?”