Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Does a Harvard GPA get a boost?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 73

New

Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Hello all - thanks for your time!

Currently I am working on a State-Wide campaign in Mass. and recently finished one of similar scope in PA (third person brought in).

My "well-rounded" app is there, with strong recs and a number of unique projects like raising $1.2million in venture for a tech startup. I've also overcome health odds.

Mediocre Freshman grades from adapting.
Sophomore Fall = 3.78
Sophomore Spring = 3.10 (2 classes at HKS, 2 classes at HLS - health issues start)

However, my GPA is a 3.3 and I have not taken the LSATs yet.

When I emailed GTOWN and AMERICAN neither asked about grades, only essays, personal statement, and rec letters - mainly "well-rounded" stuff.

I understand GPA is important, but there is a debate certain colleges get a "boost" in their GPA. Some find this pretentious, even evil, but it is a question that does have an answer. We do have an advantage to apply again within Harvard, but do we elsewhere? Also, how important are outside projects on the resume?

I would really like to be as close to the heart of DC as possible so GTOWN and GW are my first choices, followed by AMERICAN. Other cities are not important because the bulk of my work is in DC and I need to be by colleagues.

REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP! :P
Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: Harvard Junior - 3.3GPA - DC Law School - GW GT

Post by ph14 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Hello all - thanks for your time!

Currently I am working on a major MA state campaign with the candidate, have worked on similar races in Pennsylvania, and have a long history of campaigns and a startup under my belt. Alongside managing a local nonprofit, interning in the DA's office, and acting CNO on a tech startup, I have overcome problems of sobriety.

My "well-rounded" app is all there, with great recs.

When I emailed GTOWN and AMERICAN neither asked about grades, only essays, personal statement, and rec letters - also "well-rounded" stuff.

I understand GPA is important - but do Harvard applicants get a "boost"? I know we do here, but do we elsewhere? Also, how important are outside projects on the resume?

I would really like to be as close to the heart of DC as possible so GTOWN and GW are my first choices, followed by AMERICAN.

No.

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Do you have any reasoning or evidence?

I don't see how a 3.3 at Harvard is = a 3.3 at let's say U of Phoenix.
Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:43 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Do you have any reasoning or evidence?

I don't see how a 3.3 at Harvard is = a 3.3 at let's say Penn State.
Well, Harvard has rampant grade inflation so there's that. But yes, I do have reasoning or evidence, look at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ or posts in the Law School Admissions forum.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Get a 170 LSAT and you should be good for GULC and GW. You absolutely will not get accepted over a local state undergrad applicant with a 3.4+ because you went to Harvard.

Also don't knock Penn State. They're an Ivy too you know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Do you have any reasoning or evidence?

I don't see how a 3.3 at Harvard is = a 3.3 at let's say Penn State.
This air of superiority and belittling comments like this are why people who didnt go to Harvard generally hate people who did.

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 pm

PSU - my Grandpa and Dad went there. Grandpa's the smart one of the bunch, Valedictorian in Aeronautical Engineering around start of Vietnam.
So maybe that's why I wanted to highlight that school.

Better to say University of Phoenix?

I agree with your analysis, but I feel like you're banking totally on grades and LSATs. I know they're critical, but wouldn't a political law school be interested in someone running in the top 4 of two statewide races? Just curious it seems like the well-rounded thing is all they have asked about when I talked to them about what to focus on.
Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Hello all - thanks for your time!

Currently I am working on a major MA state campaign with the candidate, have worked on similar races in Pennsylvania, and have a long history of campaigns and a startup under my belt. Alongside managing a local nonprofit, interning in the DA's office, and acting CNO on a tech startup, I have overcome problems of sobriety.

My "well-rounded" app is all there, with great recs.

When I emailed GTOWN and AMERICAN neither asked about grades, only essays, personal statement, and rec letters - also "well-rounded" stuff.

I understand GPA is important - but do Harvard applicants get a "boost"? I know we do here, but do we elsewhere? Also, how important are outside projects on the resume?

I would really like to be as close to the heart of DC as possible so GTOWN and GW are my first choices, followed by AMERICAN.

NO

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:LOL I know I shouldn't knock PSU - my Grandpa and Dad went there. Grandpa's the smart one of the bunch, Valedictorian in Aeronautical Engineering around start of Vietnam. So maybe that's why I wanted to knock it :P

I agree with your analysis, but I feel like you're banking totally on grades and LSATs. I know they're critical, but wouldn't a political law school be interested in someone running in the top 4 of two statewide races? Just curious it seems like the well-rounded thing is all they have asked about when I talked to them about what to focus on.
Shut up. You will receive no boost, you entitled prick.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 pm

HYP students with higher GPAs get a small boost at most top schools, but you're unlikely to get much of one with that GPA. For one thing, to get worse than a B in most Harvard liberal arts classes actually requires effort. Everyone is aware of this grade inflation. For another, USNWR rankings do not reward a law school for taking 3.35 Harvard grads over 3.36 Penn State grads. Quite the contrary.

Score in the low 170s on the LSAT and you'll probably get into GULC, but at sticker. If you want a shot at significant money, you'll need to score in the area of 176+. Stay away from American no matter what. It's a festering TTT with hideously bad employment numbers.

By the way, favoring GULC over better law schools just because of its location doesn't make any sense. GULC has the worst placement in the T14. With a high enough LSAT you would have other better options, and unless you were getting big money from GULC, going there over these other options would not be a good decision.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Stay in school and get that GPA up.

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Last edited by 20130228 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I'm not looking for placement, I EARNED the political connections. Entitled my ass. I've worked for everything I have and don't have a dime to show for it, coming from a shit public school. All I need is to BE in DC. And GTown would be best but GW keeps me close to the Hill.
Born and bred for success and achievement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaydee

New

Post by kaydee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Someone spent to many nights at Grendel's when he should have been studying ;) ... or was it Tommy Doyle's? Hong Kong, perhaps?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:I'm not looking for placement, I EARNED the political connections. Entitled my ass. I've worked for everything I have and don't have a dime to show for it, coming from a shit public school. All I need is to BE in DC. And GTown would be best but GW keeps me close to the Hill.
You do realize that Georgetown Law is on the Hill, right?

Also, aim for a +170 on the LSAT and go to Georgetown.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Fair enough, but what everyone is trying to tell you is simply this: 3.3 is not going to cut it -- Harvard or otherwise. Do whatever you can to get that GPA up in the next year, and really really hit at least 170 on the LSAT. Any perceived boost you may get or not get from being at Harvard is going to get drowned out if you don't get that GPA up. Also, if GULC is your choice, do EA or binding ED if they have that next year and move forward.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

This sounds like you're entirely focused on a political career or something in the political arena, so why drop $270k to get a degree that won't put you any closer to your goals if you already have those supposed connections already?

Go to law school because you want to be a lawyer, not because you think going to law school in a place where a lot of politicians work will somehow work in your benefit toward some other end. You'll end up deeply in debt and no closer to your goals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Definitely a political career. I was just asked by the candidate to join the Mass. Lt. Gov. campaign today which I will be doing. Last year I worked the PA AG race as 1 of 4 initial staffers. I feel that a law degree is worth the money for the knowledge and options and marketability. What else would I go to grad school for? I definitely want to be a lawyer and would enjoy being counsel or a campaign lawyer, but will keep my cards open to maximize my benefit to the party. If you think of something else that makes sense near the hill for school let me know but I think law school is best for me.

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

@ Kaydee

--- mainly the IOP and Office Hours! :lol:

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

RichardHarvard2014 wrote:Definitely a political career. I was just asked by the candidate to join the Mass. Lt. Gov. campaign today which I will be doing. Last year I worked the PA AG race as 1 of 4 initial staffers. I feel that a law degree is worth the money for the knowledge and options and marketability. What else would I go to grad school for? I definitely want to be a lawyer and would enjoy being counsel or a campaign lawyer, but will keep my cards open to maximize my benefit to the party. If you think of something else that makes sense near the hill for school let me know but I think law school is best for me.
If politics is what you really want, keep doing what you're doing and move up the food chain. Campaigns need smart, idealistic people who can get the job done and further the cause. Look at the multitude of successful Congressmen, Senators, Governors, etc. and what do they all have in common?

Not a JD.

Get in and stay in the political scene, work up the ranks and run for yourself one day when you've built up a solid reputation in your desired district.

Given your goals, I'd say an overly expensive JD from a school in DC (or pretty much anywhere for that matter) would be a poor choice. A Harvard BA will be enough for people to put inherent trust in your intellect and the rest is up to you to prove your worth.

New

Post by 20130228 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Matthew I really appreciate this! Thank you for your advice and being great. I will continue to contemplate all options. Getting a job is what matters after school to stay in the game!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Wormfather wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Get a 170 LSAT and you should be good for GULC and GW. You absolutely will not get accepted over a local state undergrad applicant with a 3.4+ because you went to Harvard.

Penn State is not an Ivy.
I know dude. It's the most played out joke on TLS.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Wormfather wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Get a 170 LSAT and you should be good for GULC and GW. You absolutely will not get accepted over a local state undergrad applicant with a 3.4+ because you went to Harvard.

:oops: Whoosh, in a related note, I came [this close] to EDing UVA after I retook. :lol:
:shock: Good thing you didn't lol

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

Overstatement.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

Overstatement.
You're just mad cuz your football program is screwed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”