"reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bruin91

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby bruin91 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

BigZuck wrote:
bruin91 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
bruin91 wrote:Oh brother.... trolling again on mack.

She got into UVA off the WL with a 161. She'd need to hit a 167 to receive some scholly money from a peer of UVA, a 6 point difference just for some aid-- aid that I'd argue OP could pay off faster by not wasting a year of her life.

For her to look at significant scholly money, she'd need a 8-10 point boost--statistically improbable.

By not taking this offer, she'd risk losing a very good opportunity, that is far from guaranteed next cycle. If her parents are nice enough and have the means to provide for her law school education, then that seals the deal.

In this case, retake is not the right call.

This really isn't true at all. A 165+ and OP gets substantial $$$ from cornell. 168+ and serious money from the rest of the lower t14. And stop with the "statistically improbable" nonsense. The correct prep strategy can lead to big gains for almost any applicant.
Retaking is almost certainly the best decision.

What part of what I said was untrue? I said, OP would need at least a 167 for some aid at a peer (Cornell is not a peer of UVA). And I agreed that a 168 would yield substantial $ from a lower T14.

I don't know what the "correct" strategy is... but generally speaking not everyone is capable of attaining a 168 within a reasonable time frame. But I'm not intending to engage in an argument with you on that. But that is the only premise of my previous post you actually tried to refute. Everything else in your comment reiterated what I had said previously.

I'll say it for him so he doesn't get accused of being a homer: how is Cornell not a peer of UVA? UVA, Cornell, Berkeley, Duke, Northwestern, and Penn are all peers.

HYS
CCN
VPBDCN

are the peers as far as employment opportunities go. And that's all that really matters (besides cost).

Very well then. OP might get scholly money with a 165, but I still doubt it. And my point still stands.

And in terms of averages for scores, it's not a peer, so in the context of scholly money, my point is still accurate. OP would need a 167 for some aid.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri May 17, 2013 11:15 am

Bfalcon wrote:
fdo15 wrote:Give this guy a break. He's not saying people shouldn't retake, he was just posting the results of his cycle. He didn't ask for any advice about retaking and he pretty clearly is not interested in TLS's thoughts about his family's financial situation.

+1

Actually it's pretty clear that (s)he came back to gloat about getting into a school everyone told her she had no chance at, and to tell all those mean internet people that they were wrong. Her "not all is lost with a low LSAT score" shtick is almost certainly harmful to future special snowflakes who decide that they don't have to retake the LSAT either.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:
fdo15 wrote:Give this guy a break. He's not saying people shouldn't retake, he was just posting the results of his cycle. He didn't ask for any advice about retaking and he pretty clearly is not interested in TLS's thoughts about his family's financial situation.

+1

Actually it's pretty clear that (s)he came back to gloat about getting into a school everyone told her she had no chance at, and to tell all those mean internet people that they were wrong. Her "not all is lost with a low LSAT score" shtick is almost certainly harmful to future special snowflakes who decide that they don't have to retake the LSAT either.

In which case, for the record, anyone who is reading this, a 161 will most likely not yield the same results. Please retake a 161 if you are shooting for a T14.

Still, happy for you OP.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 pm

$$ at Cornell > UVA sticker no matter who is paying. Plus the whole getting into a T6 thing.

And I was probably the most vocal about the silliness of not retaking and it had nothing to do with me being a hater. I had better options than UVA at sticker this cycle, why would I be envious of that?

Basically everything Car said. The OP presented herself as a success story. I think she is more a cautionary tale and a potentially dangerous example for other reverse splitters than anything else.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:

+1

Come on. That's just being antagonistic.

I don't think OP came back just to boast. I imagine she was just happy about her unexpected acceptances.

Also, not everyone can score in the 170's and OP retook the LSAT. She is certainly not the poster-child for non-retakers. If anything, I like how there is some hope for people who really cannot break the 170's but can be saved by stellar undergrad performance.

Return to “What are my chances?”