"reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Mind my own business? This is an Internet message board. And it's not like I'm auditing you or something. And calling someone "rich" isn't an insult, that's a great thing. I'm happy for you bro, I think it's cool.

Just saying what you're doing is foolish. And your advice to future kids who stumble upon this thread is both foolish and dangerous.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Mack12 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
1. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean that you shouldn't help out at much as possible. If its not free money then someone, somewhere is paying for it. Maybe try and work out a deal with your folks where if you save them 30K they give you that money to put toward the down payment on a house? Again, foolish to pass on free money when it's attainable. Give it one more crack at it and see if you can't snag some.
As I mentioned before my finances for law school, as are a ton of other people's I'm sure, are extremely personal. My parents and I have worked out exactly what we want to do regarding the situation and they are more than happy and excited for me to go to UVA. So excuse the assertiveness, but this is the point where you really need to mind your own business. Everyone's financial situations are extremely different and mine that I have set up with my parents are optimal for both of us. Please stop haggling me about things that you really don't understand in the slightest.

Good luck to all reverse splitters out there! Regardless of what your situation is, nothing is impossible and I hope all of you get into your dream schools too!
Christ... special snowflake here we come.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Mack12 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
1. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean that you shouldn't help out at much as possible. If its not free money then someone, somewhere is paying for it. Maybe try and work out a deal with your folks where if you save them 30K they give you that money to put toward the down payment on a house? Again, foolish to pass on free money when it's attainable. Give it one more crack at it and see if you can't snag some.
As I mentioned before my finances for law school, as are a ton of other people's I'm sure, are extremely personal. My parents and I have worked out exactly what we want to do regarding the situation and they are more than happy and excited for me to go to UVA. So excuse the assertiveness, but this is the point where you really need to mind your own business. Everyone's financial situations are extremely different and mine that I have set up with my parents are optimal for both of us. Please stop haggling me about things that you really don't understand in the slightest.

Good luck to all reverse splitters out there! Regardless of what your situation is, nothing is impossible and I hope all of you get into your dream schools too!
So your parents would PREFER to pay tens of thousands more for you to attend law school, rather than have you spend a few months studying for a learnable test which could result in significant scholarships?

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:Mind my own business? This is an Internet message board. And it's not like I'm auditing you or something. And calling someone "rich" isn't an insult, that's a great thing. I'm happy for you bro, I think it's cool.

Just saying what you're doing is foolish. And your advice to future kids who stumble upon this thread is both foolish and dangerous.
Think before you post things. I have neither offered "advice" to anyone, nor claimed to have done so. This is out there to give future students like me hope that not all is lost with a low LSAT score, and that you CAN get into a great school with one. keyword CAN. I never once said what people should or should not choose. This is just MY personal experience/choice. Everyone has one, and everyone has different reasons for choosing their school. You do not know the half of my reasons for choosing UVA or anything other significant details about my experience and you have NO right or rational reason to call my PERSONAL choice foolish. If you wish to discuss this further, hopefully not because its a waste of both of our time, you can PM me.

Further: wokeupinacar, what my parents PREFER to do its none of your damn business.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

His parents probably dont know how law schools throw around money for good scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fdo15

New

Post by fdo15 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Give this guy a break. He's not saying people shouldn't retake, he was just posting the results of his cycle. He didn't ask for any advice about retaking and he pretty clearly is not interested in TLS's thoughts about his family's financial situation.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Mack12 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Mind my own business? This is an Internet message board. And it's not like I'm auditing you or something. And calling someone "rich" isn't an insult, that's a great thing. I'm happy for you bro, I think it's cool.

Think before you post things. I have neither offered "advice" to anyone, nor claimed to have done so. This is out there to give future students like me hope that not all is lost with a low LSAT score, and that you CAN get into a great school with one. keyword CAN. I never once said what people should or should not choose. This is just MY personal experience/choice. Everyone has one, and everyone has different reasons for choosing their school. You do not know the half of my reasons for choosing UVA or anything other significant details about my experience and you have NO right or rational reason to call my PERSONAL choice foolish. If you wish to discuss this further, hopefully not because its a waste of both of our time, you can PM me.

Further: wokeupinacar, what my parents PREFER to do its none of your damn business.
There are lots of lazy reverse splitters out there. Maybe it's not "advice" per se but you're saying that it is possible to get in to a T14 with basically a 160/4.0 which is dangerous in that someone with a high gpa might hit an LSAT score around that and just apply and pray and not actually get in where they want when they possibly could have if they just buckled down and retook. It's also foolish/dangerous to say that T14 sticker is good enough to roll with when you're a reverse splitter and have room to get a better LSAT and go for cheaper. It's foolish to not try and get as much money out of these schools as you can, plus debt pwnage is a real thing and not everyone has a rich family to bail them out. Most reverse splitters should not try and emulate you and hope for your success not only because it is unlikely but also it is much less of a success story than you are making it out to be (again, assuming you're not backed up by family wealth but rather have to loan finance everything).

Congrats on getting into your dream school though, sounds like you're in a good spot.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm

You're a dummy if you don't retake. If you don't have the wherewithal to retake an easy test, what makes you think you're going to do well in law school?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm

(Says parents are paying 200k for his law school four times)

(Keeps saying that family finances are personal and won't discuss)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:56 am

I think people are just being spiteful and unhelpful with this one.

OP took the LSAT twice with intense prep. While his score is still low for T14, he will need a jump of about 8-9 points to be competitive for substantial money at UVA. That is statistically a very unlikely jump. It is far more likely that OP will score nearer to his two previous scores. If he waits another year and gets another non-stellar score, he may not get into UVA again (it was already such a long shot with his numbers this cycle) and then where does that leave OP, whose dream school is UVA?

That being said, I don't think there's any harm in taking the June LSAT just for peace of mind and one more shot at squeezing a little money out of UVA but the option OP has now is by no means as awful as people are making it out to be.

Congratulations OP. I am legit happy for you. Be smart with your finances and gun for dat biglaw.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:27 am

Sounds to me like op studied enough that he's not going to do much better on a retake. Also, if he's rich and has his parents willing to pay a quarter mil for uva why not let them?

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 am

Congratulation OP for being accepted at UVA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:I think people are just being spiteful and unhelpful with this one.

OP took the LSAT twice with intense prep. While his score is still low for T14, he will need a jump of about 8-9 points to be competitive for substantial money at UVA. That is statistically a very unlikely jump. It is far more likely that OP will score nearer to his two previous scores. If he waits another year and gets another non-stellar score, he may not get into UVA again (it was already such a long shot with his numbers this cycle) and then where does that leave OP, whose dream school is UVA?

That being said, I don't think there's any harm in taking the June LSAT just for peace of mind and one more shot at squeezing a little money out of UVA but the option OP has now is by no means as awful as people are making it out to be.
Well said. I concur with this claim.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 am

JXander wrote:
stuckinthemiddle wrote:I think people are just being spiteful and unhelpful with this one.

Reverse splitters gonna reverse split I guess

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:15 pm

JXander wrote:

Thirded.

He'll graduate from UVA debt-free (I assume his parents are footing the bill and not loaning him money). His options are fine as they stand now. I would probably still retake and shoot for HYS, but that may not be realistic in his case (it isn't for most people).

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
JXander wrote:

Thirded.

He'll graduate from UVA debt-free (I assume his parents are footing the bill and not loaning him money). His options are fine as they stand now. I would probably still retake and shoot for HYS, but that may not be realistic in his case (it isn't for most people).
Thanks for the support y'all!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:31 pm

rebexness wrote:His parents probably dont know how law schools throw around money for good scores.
OP is not a "he"

But congrats OP, while a retake would probably put you in an even better spot, you're in a good spot as it is.
Last edited by Br3v on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Br3v wrote:
rebexness wrote:His parents probably dont know how law schools throw around money for good scores.
OP is not a "he"

But congrats OP, while a retake would probably put you in an even better spot, you're in a good spot as it is.
thanks Br3v!
Last edited by Mack12 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

We're trying to help posters here, not their parents. Both her parents are MDs. They can afford to pay for her education at her dream school.

OP, enjoy UVA!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Mack12 wrote:
thanks Br3v! was trying to keep that quiet though haha. also, that post sounds like a terrible thing to say on my part when its posted out of its context! oops :roll:
I edited it out for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Congratulations OP. I am legit happy for you. Be smart with your finances and gun for dat biglaw.
+1000

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Congrats on getting off the WL at UVA OP. You must feel great for achieving your goals, and I'm sure you will go on to do well from there.

As an added bonus to posterity, with your families' generous $300,000 grant, UVA can make a few new school funded positions and maybe open a new clinic. Win-win-win for everyone in dixie!

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 pm

deputydog wrote:You're a dummy if you don't retake. If you don't have the wherewithal to retake an easy test, what makes you think you're going to do well in law school?
Funny, maybe its just me, but if I had to put my money on one of two people to succeed in law school, a 16X/4.00 vs. 17X/3.00 I'd put my money on the former, every time. People are quick to call people lazy for not getting a 170 on a test that is designed so only <5% obtain such a score, but never call out the fools for being lazy that blew off undergrad and got a 3.00 in a time where grade inflation is rampid accross the board, and you literally have to TRY to do that poorly in college.

Congrats OP.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

kingjones59 wrote:
deputydog wrote:You're a dummy if you don't retake. If you don't have the wherewithal to retake an easy test, what makes you think you're going to do well in law school?
Funny, maybe its just me, but if I had to put my money on one of two people to succeed in law school, a 16X/4.00 vs. 17X/3.00 I'd put my money on the former, every time. People are quick to call people lazy for not getting a 170 on a test that is designed so only <5% obtain such a score, but never call out the fools for being lazy that blew off undergrad and got a 3.00 in a time where grade inflation is rampid accross the board, and you literally have to TRY to do that poorly in college.

Congrats OP.
Disagree on two accounts, 1) I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of sub 3.3 posters had a really crappy freshman year and then basically got 4.0 from then out or had medical issues and didn't withdraw from classes because they were, you know, dying. 2) The LSAT is an easy brightline to see and conquer, whereas UGrad is a 4-5 year experience. If you're taking the LSAT, it's because you know you want to go to law school, and laziness in that area is unforgivable; doesn't matter what your GPA is.

That said, if someone came on this board with a 3.1 and a 174, everyone would scream ED UVA. It's not an objectively bad decision like sticker at, say, George Mason. I think very few people would tell the 3.1/174 to not go to law school at all, so why are we telling this person to either increase their score and/or not go?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”