"reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

"reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Firstly, I know some of you will want to go with the usual "retake or die" for reverse splitters BUT I cold tested at a 147, studied my butt off (4 hours a day for 5 months with a private tutor and added practice), PT'd at around 159, got a 156 in June, bought PS bibles, retook in Oct. for a 161. It's not getting much better than that. I AM entering with a 161. so that's that!

That being said, any ideas of what I can expect my chances to be with Vandy, UVA and Duke?
Thus far I have been accepted to GW, Bama, wake ($), UGA, Emory ($$) and waitlisted at W&L.
work during school all four years, strong-ish softs. non-minority, no military etc.

thank's y'all!

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

You're out at all 3.

http://myLSN.info/vsq4nl

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 pm

You are not getting any of those three. You might have had a teensy bit of an outside shot if you had ED'd UVA.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby 052220151 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 pm

You should retake the LSAT, bro.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Hit the negotiating table. Pick where you want to work and don't go there unless your total debt is 80K or less.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 am

deputydog wrote:You should retake the LSAT, bro.


+1. What an incredible GPA to be wasting on a 161... retake, OP!

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 am

.
Last edited by WokeUpInACar on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby mr.hands » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 am

rebexness wrote:You are not getting any of those three. You might have had a teensy bit of an outside shot if you had ED'd UVA.


Yep. Out at all three. Retake and if you get a 165 or below, ED to UVA.

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am

Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 am

Mack12 wrote:Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

VA resident? URM?

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

VA resident? URM?


nope and nope!

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Mack12 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

VA resident? URM?


nope and nope!


Retake

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Mack12 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

VA resident? URM?


nope and nope!


Retake


..............

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby JXander » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Mack12 wrote:Updates for whoever might read this post in the future:
Waitlisted at all three, then accepted at UVA. Attending.

Congratulations! Enjoy your time there. Do you plan on doing PI?

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm

A 3.97/161? WTF? Retake and go to a T14 with major scholly, or skip law school, go post-bacc, and become a physician MD.

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby FlowBro » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Mack12 wrote:Firstly, I know some of you will want to go with the usual "retake or die" for reverse splitters BUT I cold tested at a 147, studied my butt off (4 hours a day for 5 months with a private tutor and added practice), PT'd at around 159, got a 156 in June, bought PS bibles, retook in Oct. for a 161. It's not getting much better than that. I AM entering with a 161. so that's that!

That being said, any ideas of what I can expect my chances to be with Vandy, UVA and Duke?
Thus far I have been accepted to GW, Bama, wake ($), UGA, Emory ($$) and waitlisted at W&L.
work during school all four years, strong-ish softs. non-minority, no military etc.

thank's y'all!

Therein lies the problem.

If you think you'll lose, you've already lost!

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Definitely retake bro. You don't want to be the guy supplementing the educational cost of the Noodleys of the world. Your gpa deserves better than that, don't let it down.

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm

FlowBro wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Firstly, I know some of you will want to go with the usual "retake or die" for reverse splitters BUT I cold tested at a 147, studied my butt off (4 hours a day for 5 months with a private tutor and added practice), PT'd at around 159, got a 156 in June, bought PS bibles, retook in Oct. for a 161. It's not getting much better than that. I AM entering with a 161. so that's that!

That being said, any ideas of what I can expect my chances to be with Vandy, UVA and Duke?
Thus far I have been accepted to GW, Bama, wake ($), UGA, Emory ($$) and waitlisted at W&L.
work during school all four years, strong-ish softs. non-minority, no military etc.

thank's y'all!

Therein lies the problem.

If you think you'll lose, you've already lost!


Y'all just FYI the point of the LSAT is to get to law school. Once you're in nobody gives a shit about your score. I got into my dream law school with that LSAT score and the money to pay for it. I haven't "lost" anything. Im ecstatic! Posted the update here so anyone that stumbles across it with a similar "problem" in the beginning doesn't think it's impossible to get into a great school with a low score.

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:A 3.97/161? WTF? Retake and go to a T14 with major scholly, or skip law school, go post-bacc, and become a physician MD.

haha I'd love to be a physician! Both my parents are MDs, but unfortunately I was not born with the science/math genes. I was born for law school and I'm super excited to follow that path!

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Mack12 wrote:
FlowBro wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Firstly, I know some of you will want to go with the usual "retake or die" for reverse splitters BUT I cold tested at a 147, studied my butt off (4 hours a day for 5 months with a private tutor and added practice), PT'd at around 159, got a 156 in June, bought PS bibles, retook in Oct. for a 161. It's not getting much better than that. I AM entering with a 161. so that's that!

That being said, any ideas of what I can expect my chances to be with Vandy, UVA and Duke?
Thus far I have been accepted to GW, Bama, wake ($), UGA, Emory ($$) and waitlisted at W&L.
work during school all four years, strong-ish softs. non-minority, no military etc.

thank's y'all!

Therein lies the problem.

If you think you'll lose, you've already lost!


Y'all just FYI the point of the LSAT is to get to law school. Once you're in nobody gives a shit about your score. I got into my dream law school with that LSAT score and the money to pay for it. I haven't "lost" anything. Im ecstatic! Posted the update here so anyone that stumbles across it with a similar "problem" in the beginning doesn't think it's impossible to get into a great school with a low score.


Racking up tons of non-dischargeable debt is problematic when you don't have anything close to a guarantee that you will get or keep a job that can pay it off. Even if you can pay for everything in cash it's silly to leave money on the table when a higher LSAT score can lead to tens of thousands of free cash money. Not to mention a higher score could mean getting into a better school.

3.9 GPAs deserve every chance at HYS. Sitting pat at a low 160 when there's still retakes to be had is foolish.

Retake broseph.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:Definitely retake bro. You don't want to be the guy supplementing the educational cost of the Noodleys of the world. Your gpa deserves better than that, don't let it down.

Shhhhh.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Mack12 wrote:
FlowBro wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Firstly, I know some of you will want to go with the usual "retake or die" for reverse splitters BUT I cold tested at a 147, studied my butt off (4 hours a day for 5 months with a private tutor and added practice), PT'd at around 159, got a 156 in June, bought PS bibles, retook in Oct. for a 161. It's not getting much better than that. I AM entering with a 161. so that's that!

That being said, any ideas of what I can expect my chances to be with Vandy, UVA and Duke?
Thus far I have been accepted to GW, Bama, wake ($), UGA, Emory ($$) and waitlisted at W&L.
work during school all four years, strong-ish softs. non-minority, no military etc.

thank's y'all!

Therein lies the problem.

If you think you'll lose, you've already lost!


Y'all just FYI the point of the LSAT is to get to law school. Once you're in nobody gives a shit about your score. I got into my dream law school with that LSAT score and the money to pay for it. I haven't "lost" anything. Im ecstatic! Posted the update here so anyone that stumbles across it with a similar "problem" in the beginning doesn't think it's impossible to get into a great school with a low score.

Are your parents/personal wealth footing the bill? If so, you're not in an awful spot, although you could save your parents truckloads of dough with a retake. Still, this isn't like you're sitting at 168 and a few more points will make a world of difference. For significant gains in $$$ you'll need 8 to 10 points more. Just something to consider.

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:Racking up tons of non-dischargeable debt is problematic when you don't have anything close to a guarantee that you will get or keep a job that can pay it off. Even if you can pay for everything in cash it's silly to leave money on the table when a higher LSAT score can lead to tens of thousands of free cash money. Not to mention a higher score could mean getting into a better school.

3.9 GPAs deserve every chance at HYS. Sitting pat at a low 160 when there's still retakes to be had is foolish.

Retake broseph.


I will not have any debt when I leave UVA for family reasons which are personal and not up for discussion. It is my DREAM SCHOOL and I love it there. There AREN'T retakes to be had because I am going into the 2016 class. I'm going to work my butt off to get as high a GPA there as possible and live in a great town while I'm at it, and hopefully get a job in ATL where my uncle is MP of Sutherland. Good luck in all of y'alls future endeavors, again, just posting my updates here to help out with future candidates.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Mack12 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Racking up tons of non-dischargeable debt is problematic when you don't have anything close to a guarantee that you will get or keep a job that can pay it off. Even if you can pay for everything in cash it's silly to leave money on the table when a higher LSAT score can lead to tens of thousands of free cash money. Not to mention a higher score could mean getting into a better school.

3.9 GPAs deserve every chance at HYS. Sitting pat at a low 160 when there's still retakes to be had is foolish.

Retake broseph.


I will not have any debt when I leave UVA for family reasons which are personal and not up for discussion. It is my DREAM SCHOOL and I love it there. There AREN'T retakes to be had because I am going into the 2016 class. I'm going to work my butt off to get as high a GPA there as possible and live in a great town while I'm at it, and hopefully get a job in ATL where my uncle is MP of Sutherland. Good luck in all of y'alls future endeavors, again, just posting my updates here to help out with future candidates.


A few things for future candidates to note:

1. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean that you shouldn't help out at much as possible. If its not free money then someone, somewhere is paying for it. Maybe try and work out a deal with your folks where if you save them 30K they give you that money to put toward the down payment on a house? Again, foolish to pass on free money when it's attainable. Give it one more crack at it and see if you can't snag some.

2. There is such thing as depositing at a school at retaking June to see if you can up your LSAT and try to squeeze some/more money out of a school. If they don't do that and you still want to go, then go. Otherwise you make money. It's a freeroll that you would be foolish to pass up on especially when you have lots of room for improvement and a high gpa.

User avatar
Mack12
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: "reverse splitter" 161/3.97. Vandy, Duke, UVA

Postby Mack12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
1. Just because your parents are rich doesn't mean that you shouldn't help out at much as possible. If its not free money then someone, somewhere is paying for it. Maybe try and work out a deal with your folks where if you save them 30K they give you that money to put toward the down payment on a house? Again, foolish to pass on free money when it's attainable. Give it one more crack at it and see if you can't snag some.


As I mentioned before my finances for law school, as are a ton of other people's I'm sure, are extremely personal. My parents and I have worked out exactly what we want to do regarding the situation and they are more than happy and excited for me to go to UVA. So excuse the assertiveness, but this is the point where you really need to mind your own business. Everyone's financial situations are extremely different and mine that I have set up with my parents are optimal for both of us. Please stop haggling me about things that you really don't understand in the slightest.

Good luck to all reverse splitters out there! Regardless of what your situation is, nothing is impossible and I hope all of you get into your dream schools too!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest