3.56/154 -- my shot at Cardozo?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigZuck

Re: 3.56/154 -- my shot at Cardozo?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

So a lot of what I said was twisted and my main question was ignored? I don't know what I expected though, it is the Internet after all.

OP, I agree that Cardozo at sticker is not a good investment. If you do really want to attend then +1 to the retake advice. I was committed to a school ranked around Cardozo at sticker last cycle, scored 5+ points higher in June, and was given a half ride unsolicited on the day of the score release. I opted to sit out and apply to different schools this cycle and you might do the same if you had a similar jump but at the very least I bet you could squeeze some money out of them. Lots of time to study between now and June and literally no downside to retaking so I say you do that no questions asked. I think everyone who is comitted to a school should retake June unless they have maxed out their offer at that school. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mawata

Postby mawata » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Ahhhhh, the June option sounds like the best bet except I'm taking a post grad trip that will put me I don't know where on the day of the test. :/

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 pm

What did I twist man? I tried to answer your questions, both here and via PM. I'm not sure what I twisted but I apologize if you think I did.

I think we agree though so I don't see a point in arguing about it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 am

romothesavior wrote:What did I twist man? I tried to answer your questions, both here and via PM. I'm not sure what I twisted but I apologize if you think I did.

I think we agree though so I don't see a point in arguing about it.

It's all good, don't worry about it. I'm probably just not being clear. And I wasn't really trying to argue, just asking for clarification but what I asked for just muddied the waters and I don't want to hijack his thread any more than my two posts did.

OP I know the LSAT is an inconvenience but it is an important test (quite possibly the most important one you ever take) so I would at least consider the possibility of giving it some primacy in your life. I took the bastard three times and I didn't enjoy the countless hours I had to devote to it (actually I found the prep kind of fun but it was a time suck and I don't think my girlfriend thought any of it was fun) but now I am in such a better place its not even funny. Last year I was looking at Houston and Hastings type schools at sticker, this year I can go to Duke for significantly cheaper than either of those options would have been. I'm the same exact applicant, all that is different is a higher LSAT score. Retaking was the smartest thing I've ever done for myself.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

mawata

Postby mawata » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

I mean I didn't say "wish I could but that's effort and I don't care", I said "I wish I could but I have solidified plans that will make it impossible for me to sit for an exam on June 10th". Anyways I've applied to an internship that lasts August to January, so we'll see where that goes. Hopefully I'll have heard back from Cardozo by the time I hear back from this. If I get this internship and If I get rejected from Cardozo I can take the October LSAT and reapply for the January or May start (since my internship would only be till January I don't fancy waiting till the fall as another opportunity would probably not come along to fill the remaining months). I won't have time to take an LSAT course if I do the internship so I'm not sure how big of a leap I could pull off, but hopefully enough to get me into cardozo with SOME money, at least. This is all very preemptive planning though, I still haven't heard from most of the schools I've applied to.

mawata

Postby mawata » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

also thanks in regards to the best of luck!

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

You CAN get in but it might be a May start and they won't offer $$. That being said if you get in fall start they are VERY generous and you may be able to negotiate a scholarship. Your undergrad school and work experience do matter to Cardozo and I have friends who got $$ with poor LSAT/great undergrad/relevant work experience.

Debt is a huge burden. It feels awful to take out loans and be pressured into the firm job path (and I'm getting a full ride!). Living in NYC is very expensive so don't discount that. If you're paying sticker you're looking at 70k/year in loans and you will need to work like a psycho to be top 10% and get a firm job. Not worth the stress and potential debt.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
mawata wrote:Ok lets say I ignored everyone's advice and went to St. John's. What are the odds of transferring into Columbia or NYU if I do well at St. John's my first year? Obviously this isn't something I would count on, but I'm curious on its possibility. If I could pull that off that would solve the job placement thing most likely, although I'm aware I'd lose both my GPA and any scholarships. My parents would probably help pay for Columbia or the like though, or at least until I have a job that I can start paying them back with. But its probably pretty damn foolish to go in with that expectation. I've just heard Columbia takes a fair amount of transfers.

Again I appreciate the advice, its very well received.

This is kind of a weird question. Assuming you'll do well is the entire point. It's like asking "assuming I win the lottery, will I be able to buy a Ferrari?" You have less than a 5% chance of doing well enough to transfer to a T10. Do you like 5% odds? Don't count on it.

CLS/NYU takes transfers who would have had CLS/NYU job prospects had they stayed at their old school. That's how you are measured because hiring happens after your first year, so firms will only see your St. Johns grades and that you transferred.

way less than top 5% of st johns get columbia/nyu. that's not even that hard to get. you need to be top 10% at cardozo, and the difference b/w intelligence of kids in cardozo and those schools is = to the diff b/w st john's and cardozo.

Return to “What are my chances?”