Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey All,

I'm having trouble picking out the last schools to apply to. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 and I scored 159 on the LSAT and am an URM. Ideally I would like to stay on the East Coast and I've been applying to schools like Northeastern, Temple, and Hofstra. Are there any other school suggestions? Or am I aiming to high with those schools? Thank you

Oh, and most of the courses that I took were science courses.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 pm

What kind of URM?

And no, you're not aiming high enough. Not nearly high enough.

Also, narrow down "east coast." Pick one city in particular as regional schools are regional.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby eav1277 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I have a 3.7 with a 159 (retook in feb). but u can check out my success so far. Same username on lsn

Also I'm sure ull hear it from others but why not retake? Or if ur already planning on doing so, good idea

bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm an African-American female and would want to practice in New York or Boston

Thanks eav I'll be sure to check it out :)

bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm

And I don't think I have time to retake since the next LSAT is in June

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Wait, so you're applying this year? It's awfully late for that. Like, you're just wasting your money if you do. Apply next year. And don't apply to third-rate schools. If you want New York, don't accept anything below Fordham. For Boston, BU/BC. But keep in mind that these schools have very low odds of success for their students - about 1 in 3 will get an acceptable outcome.

bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah. I was thinking it was pretty late too. I waited too long. Next year would probably be best. Should I retake the LSAT or leave it as is? By acceptable outcomes do you mean admittance or careers after law school?

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

100% retake. A score in the mid-high 160s and above and you could be looking at the T-20.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

bluebean24 wrote:I'm an African-American female and would want to practice in New York or Boston

Thanks eav I'll be sure to check it out :)


please retake. Take a prep course. I used blueprint prep and powerscore books. PM me if you want to know how I studied.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby eav1277 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Since you're african american, you should receive a bigger boost than I did (MA male). But you should definitely retake if you can.

bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 pm

I didn't want to, but I guess I'll sit the year out. I should have prepared more and applied sooner, but was hesitant about the job market. I'll do the retake in June and try again in September. Or maybe I could apply to Temple or Hofstra and try to transfer?

User avatar
kiwi4president
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby kiwi4president » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

bluebean24 wrote:I didn't want to, but I guess I'll sit the year out. I should have prepared more and applied sooner, but was hesitant about the job market. I'll do the retake in June and try again in September. Or maybe I could apply to Temple or Hofstra and try to transfer?


No.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

kiwi4president wrote:
bluebean24 wrote:I didn't want to, but I guess I'll sit the year out. I should have prepared more and applied sooner, but was hesitant about the job market. I'll do the retake in June and try again in September. Or maybe I could apply to Temple or Hofstra and try to transfer?


No.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 pm

bluebean24 wrote:Yeah. I was thinking it was pretty late too. I waited too long. Next year would probably be best. Should I retake the LSAT or leave it as is? By acceptable outcomes do you mean admittance or careers after law school?


Careers that would pay off the debt you'd incur. If you have $$$ or your parents are paying, then it's a somewhat different story.

bluebean24
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby bluebean24 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

cinephile wrote:
bluebean24 wrote:Yeah. I was thinking it was pretty late too. I waited too long. Next year would probably be best. Should I retake the LSAT or leave it as is? By acceptable outcomes do you mean admittance or careers after law school?


Careers that would pay off the debt you'd incur. If you have $$$ or your parents are paying, then it's a somewhat different story.


I don't think I could get them to pay law school. They already paid my undergrad, so I don't have any debt from that.


Would retaking the LSAT in June be too soon? Or should I wait till October?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

bluebean24 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
bluebean24 wrote:Yeah. I was thinking it was pretty late too. I waited too long. Next year would probably be best. Should I retake the LSAT or leave it as is? By acceptable outcomes do you mean admittance or careers after law school?


Careers that would pay off the debt you'd incur. If you have $$$ or your parents are paying, then it's a somewhat different story.


I don't think I could get them to pay law school. They already paid my undergrad, so I don't have any debt from that.


Would retaking the LSAT in June be too soon? Or should I wait till October?


October

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 am

I don't think it takes that long to study for the LSAT, honestly. I did it while working and only spent March-May studying for the June test and it worked out just fine. I think so long as you're willing to invest the time in studying and can identify and learn from your mistakes, June isn't too early. But October works just fine too.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:07 am

Seriously, retake the LSAT! Retaking was the best thing I ever did (even though I didn't even do that great the second time around). Especially being AA female, if you retake and break into the low 160s, it will make an incredible difference for your cycle prospects. Take the time to find a good LSAT prep course, study like crazy for the next 4 months and dominate the June LSAT.

Edit: If you're starting to plateau around June and not scoring higher on your PTs, take June; if your score seems to be improving each week through the end of May/beginning of June, you may want to consider taking October.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 am

PRgradBYU wrote:Seriously, retake the LSAT! Retaking was the best thing I ever did (even though I didn't even do that great the second time around). Especially being AA female, if you retake and break into the low 160s, it will make an incredible difference for your cycle prospects. Take the time to find a good LSAT prep course, study like crazy for the next 4 7 months and dominate the June October LSAT.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby eav1277 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 am

Dr Dre is really pushing the October. I understand why though. I think October is the safer option (if you're still in undergrad so you can focus on school and then study all summer). But if your scoring consistently high on PT's, June wouldn't be bad. Def only do June if you're ready though. You could sign up for June and then reschedule if necessary. You'd have to pay an extra fee though to reschedule

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby eav1277 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 am

Idk if Dr dre has already recommended a study guide/plan. But NoodleyOne's guide for retakers isn't bad (fellow TLSer who scored 179 on his retake).

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am

eav1277 wrote:Dr Dre is really pushing the October. I understand why though. I think October is the safer option (if you're still in undergrad so you can focus on school and then study all summer). But if your scoring consistently high on PT's, June wouldn't be bad. Def only do June if you're ready though. You could sign up for June and then reschedule if necessary. You'd have to pay an extra fee though to reschedule

Yeah, she only needs a few more points, June is realistic depending on her schedule.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:22 am

Intense 3-4 month studying is TCR. If you can put in the hours go for June, if not October.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:36 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Intense 3-4 month studying is TCR. If you can put in the hours go for June, if not October.


How many hours per week would be a bit more helpful for OP.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Low Undergrad/Semi-Decent LSAT URM

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Intense 3-4 month studying is TCR. If you can put in the hours go for June, if not October.


How many hours per week would be a bit more helpful for OP.


Depends on the person and prior prep and familiarity with the test. 15-20 hours a week as a base commitment to scoring above 165 would be a good starting point. Though depending on your weaknesses and strengths this could be insufficient or overkill.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikikomorist, ponderingmeerkat and 6 guests