Re-thinking Entering the Class of 2016

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oldschool123

Re-thinking Entering the Class of 2016

Postby oldschool123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm

I took the LSAT in October and got a 171. I was disappointed with this score, despite everyone around me basically telling me I was being an absolute idiot for being mad with this score and that I should have been "thrilled". However, I was disappointed because I had gotten to the point where I was consistently getting 175+ on practice exams, including a 180 five days before I took the real exam.

Before anyone tells me that I should have gone ahead and re-taken the exam in December and/or February--I realize this, and have recently been kicking myself very hard for not doing so. I was very naive, and listened too much to everyone telling me that I was being ridiculous for being upset with a 171, and didn't realize that a 175+ instead of a 171 could literally mean the difference between tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship $$$.

I have so far been accepted into UVA, GULC, and GW. I want to go into environmental law (I have an MPA in Environmental Science/Policy) and would like to work in the public sector in D.C., and these schools all seem to be decent options for this. However, GW is the only one who has offered me any $$$, and they have offered me $15,000/yr.

My question is this--would it be worth deferring these acceptances, retaking the LSAT over the summer, and hoping for more $$$ from these schools (and possibly others) in the next cycle? My GPA is 3.5x for what it's worth--not exactly great, but not horrible either. I have seen a lot more $$$ offered in a handful of instances by both UVA and GW this cycle for candidates with the same GPA but 175+ LSATs.

fatduck

Re: Re-thinking Entering the Class of 2016

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm

even with 15k/yr GWU is basically sticker. if you're going to pick one of those three i think UVA is the obvious choice.

depending on how flexible your plans are for the year off, you could always take June and make your decision once you see your score?

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Agreed that UVA is still the obvious choice. The $45K email from GW was a repeat of the 171 score report haha...basically everyone around me getting all excited and me sitting there slumping my shoulders and saying "that's it???"

I'm flexible for the year off, but how would that work with waiting until June/July to make a decision? Regarding UVA, wouldn't I have to either matriculate or differ my acceptance by then?

P.S. i know this is one of those "first world problems" or whatever one might call it, but still....sticker at UVA is pretty damn steep, especially due to the fact that I am interested in the public sector with not much interest in gunning for one of those $160K/yr private sector jobs.
Last edited by oldschool123 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm

oldschool123 wrote:Agreed that UVA is still the obvious choice. The $45K email from GW was a repeat of the 171 score report haha...basically everyone around me getting all excited and me sitting there slumping my shoulders and saying "that's it???"

I'm flexible for the year off, but how would that work with waiting until June/July to make a decision? Regarding UVA, wouldn't I have to either matriculate or differ my acceptance by then?

you'll probably have to eat a seat deposit if you decide to re-apply but that's about it. i'm not sure if they'd let you defer acceptance at that point but i doubt it will matter if your LSAT improves.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

oldschool123 wrote:P.S. i know this is one of the "first world problems" or whatever one might call it, but still....sticker at UVA is pretty damn steep, especially due to the fact that I am interested in the public sector with not much interest in gunning for one of those $160K/yr private sector jobs.

well if you're set on working in public interest your loan total doesn't really matter in some respects, since you'd be relying on LRAP and PSLF to take care of your debt. that being said you still need to get a job which is easier said than done.

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Tagging for the advice, and for solidarity, because I'm in essentially the same situation.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

So would it make sense to put in my seat deposit, retake in June, and then hypothetically if I was able to duplicate one of my practice exams and get a 177ish, have a discussion with UVA on what the chances of them offering me $$$ would be if I ate my deposit for Fall '13 and re-applied Fall '14?

And I would definitely be relying on LRAP and PSLF but those seem to depend on you holding one of those public interest jobs for 10 years, which, along with getting a job in the first place like you said, is probably easier said than done.

Appreciate your responses btw.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Merylian wrote:Tagging for the advice, and for solidarity, because I'm in essentially the same situation.

Took a peek at your profile....so basically you're also deciding whether or not UVA at sticker is the right call or not? Though you seem to have a lot of pending offers that would (if they came through) help sway UVA's pockets in your favor

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm

oldschool123 wrote:
Merylian wrote:
Took a peek at your profile....so basically you're also deciding whether or not UVA at sticker is the right call or not? Though you seem to have a lot of pending offers that would (if they came through) help sway UVA's pockets in your favor

Yeah, exactly. For me it's UVA at maybe sticker vs. a solid regional with a steep discount. Of course, I'm hoping I'll be able to talk them into some kind of scholarship if any of those other schools come through.

Have you considered that route? And how much of a fluke did your LSAT feel like? I have heard that most people perform a few points under their PT average on test day, but 171 probably felt like a kick in the gut after 177-180 :(

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Merylian wrote:
oldschool123 wrote:
Merylian wrote:

Yeah, exactly. For me it's UVA at maybe sticker vs. a solid regional with a steep discount. Of course, I'm hoping I'll be able to talk them into some kind of scholarship if any of those other schools come through.

Have you considered that route? And how much of a fluke did your LSAT feel like? I have heard that most people perform a few points under their PT average on test day, but 171 probably felt like a kick in the gut after 177-180 :(

I was hoping to be able to talk UVA into some kind of scholarship as well...when I spoke with the Director of Admissions for my admit phone call he even encouraged me to let him know of any other offers I receive, which is the main reason why I was disappointed with "only" $45K from GW. Doubt that UVA will be swayed by that.

And a lot of ppl definitely do perform a few pts under their PT average, but the 171 did kinda feel like a fluke. In the LG section alone, I got 3 questions wrong on test day, but hadn't gotten a single LG question wrong in about 4 PTs combined prior, or more than one LG ? wrong in about 10 PTs. Unfortunately I think just the fact that that exam is such an exhausting mindf%^k made me just say "oh well, i'll take the 171, and never have to think about this thing again", even if i was pretty disappointed with it. But now obviously kicking myself for that decision!

What do you want to do with your degree?

Return to “What are my chances?”