3.79 GPA ; 155 LSAT (Florida Law Schools)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ALicznerski

3.79 GPA ; 155 LSAT (Florida Law Schools)

Postby ALicznerski » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I'm taking the February LSAT on Saturday, applications have been sent and each school is waiting for my scores. I was wondering what my chances with the following schools are with a 3.79 GPA and 155 Average PT score:

Florida State
University of Florida
Florida International
Stetson
West Viginia

Also, if there are any of you who have applied previously to any of these schools late in the year, what was your result? Much appreciated, A.

pinkcamellia

Re: 3.79 GPA ; 155 LSAT (Florida Law Schools)

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:47 pm

ALicznerski wrote:Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I'm taking the February LSAT on Saturday, applications have been sent and each school is waiting for my scores. I was wondering what my chances with the following schools are with a 3.79 GPA and 155 Average PT score:

Florida State
University of Florida
Florida International
Stetson
West Viginia

Also, if there are any of you who have applied previously to any of these schools late in the year, what was your result? Much appreciated, A.

Florida State - OUT
University of Florida - OUT
Florida International - IN
Stetson - IN
West Virginia - most likely IN if you are in-state

But we can't really help you until you have a real score.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Consider not taking the test until your PTs are in the mid 160s or higher. You have a stellar GPA that could get you into some wonderful schools... just gotta have the LSAT to match.

ETA: or, if you're certain you want to attend law school in Florida, a high LSAT score could get you some great scholarship $$$

ALicznerski

Postby ALicznerski » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm thinking that maybe I should look out of state, thing is, I def need to start law school next fall. Even if it means transferring to a better school the following year. I'm taking my last PT tomorrow and hoping to score a 160, fingers crossed.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:54 pm

why do u need to start next year? The difference between UF (need 162+ LSAT on average) and FIU for practice in florida is tremendous.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:54 pm

ALicznerski wrote:I'm thinking that maybe I should look out of state, thing is, I def need to start law school next fall. Even if it means transferring to a better school the following year. I'm taking my last PT tomorrow and hoping to score a 160, fingers crossed.

Transferring up in LS is very very difficult. It's not a good idea to go into LS with that expectation.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

retake

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 pm

ALicznerski wrote:I'm thinking that maybe I should look out of state, thing is, I def need to start law school next fall. Even if it means transferring to a better school the following year. I'm taking my last PT tomorrow and hoping to score a 160, fingers crossed.

1) Out of state schools at the level you're looking at need connections and ties.
2) out of state schools at the level you're looking at are going to cost you twice as much to attend. You don't want that kind of debt from these kinds of schools - the job prospects just aren't worth it.
3) You don't have to start law school next fall. You might want to very, very much, but you don't have to.
4) Getting your score this late in the game will lower your chances of being admitted to the schools on your list. Keep PTing, wait to take it first thing in the fall, and you will probably be looking at $$$ from some of these schools, or chances at better schools with $$$!
5) Transferring is also really, really difficult to do in law school. Don't go to a school unless you would be happy graduating from it!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

No offense, but this is very silly and naive. Transferring up is very difficult and you have no way of knowing if it will be possible.

Why are you so insistent on not taking a year off, and instead rushing into what is likely to be a terrible financial and career decision? Unless you have pretty much a full ride, you should not attend any school in Florida other than UF or FSU. Just about every law student on this website with Florida connections will tell you that. The market in Florida is incredibly saturated with attorneys, and most of the schools in the state have really bad employment prospects (including, to some extent, UF and FSU). Go check out Law School Transparency's website to see what I mean.

I guarantee that you don't "def need to start law school next fall," and if you do rush into it, smart money is on you not doing well enough to transfer up. I don't say that to be mean. I say it because it is true. Going to a shitty school planning to transfer up is a really poor investment decision. The LSAT is in your control, your class rank is largely not. You need to score 160+ to make this law school thing worth it, and if that means retaking and waiting a year, so be it. The law school game is hard enough already; don't take the lazy, easy route now and put yourself in a more difficult position down the road.

ALicznerski

Postby ALicznerski » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 pm

I've decided to go ahead and take the test since the applications are in. I'll see what happens with April decisions and go from there. In any case, if the light doesn't shine, then I'll wait it out another year. Thank you for all your help. A

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

ALicznerski wrote:I've decided to go ahead and take the test since the applications are in. I'll see what happens with April decisions and go from there. In any case, if the light doesn't shine, then I'll wait it out another year. Thank you for all your help. A

Good to hear you're open to the idea. There have been a lot of people on TLS (tons, actually) who were in your shoes, waited, retook, and were much better for it.

Either way, best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to use the great resources and community on TLS as you go through the process.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 am

Crowing wrote:

Transferring up in LS is very very difficult. It's not a good idea to go into LS with that expectation.

This. Retake, man. You've already got that awesome GPA going for you... score in the 160s to complement it.

Return to “What are my chances?”