162 LSAT, 3.47 from Top Public - Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rmp

162 LSAT, 3.47 from Top Public - Chances?

Postby rmp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 pm

162 on the LSAT and 3.47 GPA with a sharp upward trend from my 2nd year onward. My major GPAs are both 3.72 since it's my first year that significantly weighed down my cumulative GPA. I attended a UC school that is top 50 and one of the top public universities. One year out of undergrad, currently working FT at a law firm.

Filipina and Hispanic -- Not sure if considered URM by admissions panels, but did write an excellent diversity statement and included race relations/the need to disaggregate AAPI data in my personal and diversity statement.

I believe my softs are strong --
Experience working (just as admin. assistant) for two private practice law firms
Interned for a White House Initiative in DC
Interned for the American Bar Association Commission on Immigration non-profit leg
Mentor for AAPI At-risk youth
Slight on-campus involvement (cultural organization and a sorority)
Clear public interest trajectory; oriented statements to reflect this

I think my personal statement, diversity statement, and addenda were quite strong. I wrote an addenda to explain my grades bc I had to forego admission at my dream university due to financial/family reasons and this took a toll on my outlook toward academics and my attitude toward my undergraduate university during my freshman year. Also -- first in family to pursue graduate degree.

Have letter of rec from 1 professor, 1 TA, and White House Initiative Director

Odds at Top 30 schools, the UCs, and thoughts on breaking the T14? I'm thinking T14 is very slim bc of my numbers, but I'd appreciate opinions. Thanks so much!

Crowing

Re: 162 LSAT, 3.47 from Top Public - Chances?

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 pm

Depends on what kind of Hispanic - not all get URM boost and without it you have no shot at the T14

rmp

Postby rmp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Crowing wrote:Depends on what kind of Hispanic - not all get URM boost and without it you have no shot at the T14

Spanish. I'm thinking I won't get the boost

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm

rmp wrote:
Crowing wrote:Depends on what kind of Hispanic - not all get URM boost and without it you have no shot at the T14

Spanish. I'm thinking I won't get the boost

Like, from Spain? Definitely not.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

rmp wrote:Odds at Top 30 schools, the UCs, and thoughts on breaking the T14? I'm thinking T14 is very slim bc of my numbers, but I'd appreciate opinions. Thanks so much!

Admission to T30 is unlikely because you are under both medians at every school except Iowa. You may get a couple bites, but being below both medians typically means sticker. Sticker at T30 is a almost always a bad move. You should retake the LSAT.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Retake is the only credited move here. Unless you get a URM boost (which you probably won't) you will have no shot at the T14. Without a retake, you're looking at a suspect school for a huge price tag. Also, your softs may be decent (nothing special), but they'll be used as a tiebreaker at best. They aren't going to pick you up the extra 6-8 LSAT points you need to make the investment worth it. Gotta retake.

Return to “What are my chances?”