UVA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Do not ED to UVA. Write a good Why UVA though.

I went to TTU also. Look at my profile for how it worked out.


Do.Not.ED.

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:18 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Because you are an auto admit and will likely get scholarship money from them. Blanket Columbia and down on apps. Throw Harvard an app. Negotiate any other acceptances for money at UVA if it is your top pick.


Edit: if you ED, you won't get any scholarship money from UVA

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm

ncb2009 wrote:Yes, UVA is my top school. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! I looked at your profile, congratulations on getting a hefty scholarship at UVA. What school do you want to go to?

Thanks! I have no real favorite. Depends on a combination of debt, job prospects, and location. Will decide once my cycle finishes up.

If you don't ED, 100% write a good Why UVA though.
Goodluck to you.

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

ncb2009 wrote:Ok! I have one more question: my husband is transferring his GI bill to me which says it'll pay complete tuition at a public law school, is it still a good idea to not apply ED?

That changes everything. If UVA is your #1, it might then be worth it to ED.

I'd research and see how scholarships go along with ED and GI bills, I personally have no idea.

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Ok, yeah I'll do some research on that! Good luck to you in the future! Guns up!! :)

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: UVA?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Why is Virginia your number one choice?

Unfortunately without ED there are no guarantees you'll get in.

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: UVA?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

ncb2009 wrote:The location works out best for my husband and I.

I'd spend some time thinking about what kind of work you want to do with a JD and just how important location is to you. If after that UVA remains your absolute number one choice then ED.

ncb2009
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Re: UVA?

Postby ncb2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by ncb2009 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: UVA?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm

ncb2009 wrote:I am interested in Health Law, and I see that UVA offers that type of concentration.

This is not a good reason for UVA to be your number one choice. Specializations are largely meaningless.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UVA?

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

sinfiery wrote:Because you are an auto admit and will likely get scholarship money from them. Blanket Columbia and down on apps. Throw Harvard an app. Negotiate any other acceptances for money at UVA if it is your top pick.


Edit: if you ED, you won't get any scholarship money from UVA


I agree with not EDing but there is no such thing as auto admit RD to UVA. UVA RD is really hard on splitters, probably because ED is so good for us.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

With the GI bill in play and her numbers, it comes down to UVA, Berk, or UMich as her t3. I would probably ED UVA unless there is a chance you can get a stipend for merit and have the GI bill cover tuition.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Crowing wrote:
I agree with not EDing but there is no such thing as auto admit RD to UVA. UVA RD is really hard on splitters, probably because ED is so good for us.

If you can convey why UVA is your absolute #1 in a why UVA, I think it helps your chances dramatically. Especially since she is 4 points on the LSAT above an ED UVA acceptance.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: UVA?

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Crowing wrote:
I agree with not EDing but there is no such thing as auto admit RD to UVA. UVA RD is really hard on splitters, probably because ED is so good for us.

If you can convey why UVA is your absolute #1 in a why UVA, I think it helps your chances dramatically. Especially since she is 4 points on the LSAT above an ED UVA acceptance.


For reference I put in 3.55-3.65/173-175 with URM and ED excluded on mylsn and UVA is showing 24% acceptance rate w/ 12 in, 1 ding, and 36 WLs. They really don't like RD splitters.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Crowing wrote:
For reference I put in 3.55-3.65/173-175 with URM and ED excluded on mylsn and UVA is showing 24% acceptance rate w/ 12 in, 1 ding, and 36 WLs. They really don't like RD splitters.

I understand that's how UVA operates but I think everything changes if you have a good Why UVA? that leads them to believe you might actually attend, muchless have it be your absolute number one.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: UVA?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Crowing wrote:
For reference I put in 3.55-3.65/173-175 with URM and ED excluded on mylsn and UVA is showing 24% acceptance rate w/ 12 in, 1 ding, and 36 WLs. They really don't like RD splitters.

I understand that's how UVA operates but I think everything changes if you have a good Why UVA? that leads them to believe you might actually attend, muchless have it be your absolute number one.

Many thousands of us have failed at this task.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UVA?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Many thousands of us have failed at this task.

Fair enough. Although I'm betting near every one of you didn't actually have UVA in that category where it was your absolute #1. Not sure if that alters the chances. I assumed it did and was worth the risk of being given $$.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests