Ok, hit me.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stillwater

Re: Ok, hit me.

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 am

dingbat wrote:
purplepanther44 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new here and have been browsing around looking for answers but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. So here goes....what are my chances of getting into a T14 or just under (think down to 18) with the following....

1. 3.82 UGPA (in engineering)
2. 163 LSAT (ouch, I know. I had a rough day. But let's assume I'm not retaking given timelines)
3. PhD from an Ivy League
4. 7 years work experience post-PhD, and am currently a VP (so, have been successful)
5. As an undergrad, I had significant research/work experience as well, including many awards. Held significant leadership positions as an undergrad and graduate student.

Obviously my LSAT is going to hurt me. But I haven't seen much of a real discussion of soft factors for older students such as myself (outside of taxguy discussions) that really address the question of will these "soft" factors push that sub-par LSAT into acceptable territory? I'm agonizing. Help! Thanks :)

As someone with similarly impressive work credentials, I can tell you that you need to retake. As depressing as it is to hear this, if you're more than 1 point below a school's 25%, then you probably won't get in. (on the other hand, if you're at the 25%, you'll probably be competitive)

You got an ivy league PhD, dingbat?

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 am

purplepanther44 wrote: So the general consensus is the "soft" factors will likely not make up for the LSAT.

Bummer. I didn't want to have to study :P

Then don't go to law school

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

stillwater wrote:
dingbat wrote:
purplepanther44 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new here and have been browsing around looking for answers but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. So here goes....what are my chances of getting into a T14 or just under (think down to 18) with the following....

1. 3.82 UGPA (in engineering)
2. 163 LSAT (ouch, I know. I had a rough day. But let's assume I'm not retaking given timelines)
3. PhD from an Ivy League
4. 7 years work experience post-PhD, and am currently a VP (so, have been successful)
5. As an undergrad, I had significant research/work experience as well, including many awards. Held significant leadership positions as an undergrad and graduate student.

Obviously my LSAT is going to hurt me. But I haven't seen much of a real discussion of soft factors for older students such as myself (outside of taxguy discussions) that really address the question of will these "soft" factors push that sub-par LSAT into acceptable territory? I'm agonizing. Help! Thanks :)

As someone with similarly impressive work credentials, I can tell you that you need to retake. As depressing as it is to hear this, if you're more than 1 point below a school's 25%, then you probably won't get in. (on the other hand, if you're at the 25%, you'll probably be competitive)

You got an ivy league PhD, dingbat?
PhD, no. I do have a post-graduate degree and major work experience

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Get a 170+ and you can probably approximate the most epic account on LSN, PacificA.
Last edited by Yukos on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Yukos wrote:Get a 170+ and you can probably approximate the most epic account on LSN, Pacific.

Sheesh, Pacifica crushed it. Got into literally every T-14.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:14 am

purplepanther44 wrote:Thanks...and yea figured out taxguy was a total joke.

So the general consensus is the "soft" factors will likely not make up for the LSAT.

Bummer. I didn't want to have to study :P

Lol. Your softs would help give you an edge over someone like me (as in someone who has just held part time jobs throughout college and nothing more) but it's not going to be worth 4 - 5 points on the LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”