Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UselessKnowledge
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am

Hey all, I applied to Cornell's JD/Masters en Droit dual degree program in cooperation with the Sorbonne. I am American, I speak English and French with equal fluency, I have my French Baccalaureat from a school in the US, and a BA from an American University. I truly wonder how many people I am competing with for admissions to this program. It is my dream to attend this program; my heart races just thinking about it. I swear it was made for someone with my background and interests (but perhaps not my numbers). My LSAT is 166 and my LSAC GPA is approximately 3.5. Does anyone know if I have any chance at all at getting in? Am I kidding myself by thinking it is even possible? Does anyone know if admissions to this particular program is harder, easier, or of equal difficulty to gain admissions to than to Cornell's regular JD program? I would appreciate any information at all--thanks!

UselessKnowledge
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 am

With this cycle being slightly more forgiving, I assume I have a better chance than in previous years, but that it is still a long shot. Should I have to just hope to get wait listed and admitted off the list? Somehow I think that I could get in, not because I think I am a special snowflake, but because I am really qualified for the program and not completely off target numbers-wise. But I might need a TLS-style reality check!

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 am

Assuming non-URM, you have very little chance of being admitted with those numbers; you might end up on the WL, but you're very unlikely to be admitted from it. You need to retake the LSAT. You would have a fair shot with a 168 and a good shot with a 169. A 170 would make you a virtual lock.

UselessKnowledge
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond! That is pretty much what I figured. I guess it can't hurt to dream as long as you know what will likely happen. I unfortunately cannot re-take so there is not much I can do.

On the other hand, I am really hoping to get into Fordham since that seems more realistic. Does that seem about right?

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby nebula666 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 am

Very small chance at Cornell but I think you can get a decent amount of money from UMN, Notre Dame, Emory, Boston U, Boston College, Fordham and below.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby North » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 am

UselessKnowledge wrote: I unfortunately cannot re-take so there is not much I can do.

Why not?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22880
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 am

Some people have taken it three times, LSAC won't let you take it more than that (at least within a certain period? I forget exactly).

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby North » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Some people have taken it three times, LSAC won't let you take it more than that (at least within a certain period? I forget exactly).

You can take it again two years after you took your first one. I doubt, however, that that's OP's situation.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22880
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:46 am

North wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Some people have taken it three times, LSAC won't let you take it more than that (at least within a certain period? I forget exactly).

You can take it again two years after you took your first one. I doubt, however, that that's OP's situation.

True.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.


What if you had a brain injury between your first LSAT and your application cycle and you knew for a certainty that any LSAT administration from here on out would be worse because of the injury?

UselessKnowledge
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:22 pm

North wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Some people have taken it three times, LSAC won't let you take it more than that (at least within a certain period? I forget exactly).

You can take it again two years after you took your first one. I doubt, however, that that's OP's situation.


Yep, that is my situation.

UselessKnowledge
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

nebula666 wrote:Very small chance at Cornell but I think you can get a decent amount of money from UMN, Notre Dame, Emory, Boston U, Boston College, Fordham and below.


Thanks for your input. Hoping for Fordham but would be happy with BC/BU.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby gaud » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:25 pm

cinephile wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.


What if you had a brain injury between your first LSAT and your application cycle and you knew for a certainty that any LSAT administration from here on out would be worse because of the injury?


i think he meant literally, in which case your example wouldn't change that

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15088
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

gaud wrote:
cinephile wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.


What if you had a brain injury between your first LSAT and your application cycle and you knew for a certainty that any LSAT administration from here on out would be worse because of the injury?


i think he meant literally, in which case your example wouldn't change that


:lol:

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 pm

gaud wrote:
cinephile wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Nobody literally cannot retake. I don't understand why people say that.


What if you had a brain injury between your first LSAT and your application cycle and you knew for a certainty that any LSAT administration from here on out would be worse because of the injury?


i think he meant literally, in which case your example wouldn't change that


Okay, what if the test taker died?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm

cinephile wrote:Okay, what if the test taker died?


Idc... retake.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby dr123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm

cinephile wrote:
Okay, what if the test taker died?


dead people can't apply to law school. hth.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Do I have ANY shot at getting admitted?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 am

What is the point of this dual degree? Honest question.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests