AA URM - 173 - 3.57 [Early App]/3.63 [Late App]

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mockingbirdlaw

AA URM - 173 - 3.57 [Early App]/3.63 [Late App]

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

* AA URM, 173, 3.57/3.63, applying next cycle
* Very valid GPA addendum - my GPA other than the one drag semester is 3.9X
* Apparently softs don't mean much but I've got above average ones fwiw - below Olympian/Rhodes, above class President/extracurricular stuff/TFA/volunteering

Applying to:
Y - lol
HS - top choices obviously
CCN
Berkeley
GTown
Penn
Cornell
UCLA
USC
BC
GWU
Fordham
W+M
Maybe some other safeties in the Northeast and California

Three questions -

1 - How useful is a valid GPA addendum? Not immature, lazy, hard major, whatever. As in actual medical emergency/crisis that messed up one semester and kept me out of school for about a year. Like I said above, my GPA other than that one semester where things totally fell apart is 3.9+.

2 - If I apply early, September 2013, it'll be with a 3.57, if I apply after the Fall semester, January 2014, it'll be with around a 3.65. Which is a bigger advantage, the small GPA boost or applying as early as possible?

3 - Chances at places I'm aiming for? I've looked at myLSN and found barely anyone with similar stats. Also, don't know if the addendum factors in any. My LSN research has 100 percent admit rate everywhere except Yale and Stanford - not counting yield protection. I'm dubious of this because of sample size and just not believing it because of the GPA.

Thanks in advance.

John_rizzy_rawls

Re: AA URM - 173 - 3.57 [Early App]/3.63 [Late App]

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 pm

1. I'm not sure and will defer to others who do.

2. See #1. But the advice I've gotten on this is to apply early then amend your applications with the grade improvement.

3. You're in everywhere except Yale. The LSN sample is small but definitive. 3.5+/172+ is auto-admit at Harvard on down and quite likely at Stanford. Not sure why you're not believing the data. URM cycles are much different than normal ones.

Maybe 10 other AA URMs in the county will have your number set during your cycle. Helps even more if you're AA male.

http://www.mylsn.info/dispresults.php

HTH.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Applying to more than 1 non-T14 is a waste of money.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:2. See #1. But the advice I've gotten on this is to apply early then amend your applications with the grade improvement.

I thought about doing this. The risk is that I'm rejected by Harvard or Berkeley - rolling admissions schools that place high value on GPA - before I'm able to send that late December amendment. Any idea on whether it's worth the risk or better to just wait until late December/early January to apply?

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:3. You're in everywhere except Yale. The LSN sample is small but definitive. 3.5+/172+ is auto-admit at Harvard on down and quite likely at Stanford. Not sure why you're not believing the data. URM cycles are much different than normal ones.

Maybe 10 other AA URMs in the county will have your number set during your cycle. Helps even more if you're AA male.

http://www.mylsn.info/dispresults.php

HTH.

Yeah but when you look through the actual admits they seem to mostly be 174+ and almost all of them are above the 3.6 threshold. That's why I think the sample size is too small - there aren't any specific cases with my numbers. But thanks nonetheless. That helps a bit.

I'm particularly skeptical of the auto-admit at Harvard thing. Doesn't H have a GPA floor? They're my far and away first choice so maybe I'm just being dumb and not buying the numbers.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm

bluepenguin wrote:Applying to more than 1 non-T14 is a waste of money.

Even for scholarship negotiation?
Also I figure with the 3.5X starting point - unless I apply in late December with the improved GPA - I would need a few safeties to fall back on.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't get why you are not applying this cycle. Spend $250 to apply to YHS and call it a day. I would say you are probably out at Yale, definitely in at Harvard and 75% chance at Stanford. When the adcom committees at YHS see your application, they are going to soil themselves.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Congrats on getting into the T-14!

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I don't get why you are not applying this cycle. Spend $250 to apply to YHS and call it a day. I would say you are probably out at Yale, definitely in at Harvard and 75% chance at Stanford. When the adcom committees at YHS see your application, they are going to soil themselves.

Wormfather wrote:Send out apps next week, enjoy HYS or a fully at CCN.

Thanks for the confidence.

I'm not graduating until next year, that's why I'm applying next cycle.

Any tips on whether to apply September with the lower GPA or December with the better one?

Or on how effective an addendum is?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

mockingbirdlaw wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I don't get why you are not applying this cycle. Spend $250 to apply to YHS and call it a day. I would say you are probably out at Yale, definitely in at Harvard and 75% chance at Stanford. When the adcom committees at YHS see your application, they are going to soil themselves.

Wormfather wrote:Send out apps next week, enjoy HYS or a fully at CCN.

Thanks for the confidence.

I'm not graduating until next year, that's why I'm applying next cycle.

Any tips on whether to apply September with the lower GPA or December with the better one?

Or on how effective an addendum is?

You will get in regardless to the date you apply. If you want to send in an addendum for Yale(the only school that may be an issue for you) then ask them to hold on to your file until your next semester GPA. With that said, you are a lock at every school Harvard and down.

But the difference between your 3.57 and 3.63 is pretty negligible at these schools, I believe they will still place you under their 25% for GPA. So I wouldn't bother waiting, especially if your addendum is legitimate. Your LSAT puts you up ere in a select few AA UrMs so like I said, you are set
Last edited by Dmini7 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:Congrats on getting into the T-14!

Thanks.
Gunning hard for Harvard if it's possible.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Dmini7 wrote:You will get in regardless to the date you apply. If you want to send in an addendum for Yale(the only school that may be an issue for you) then ask them to hold on to your file until your next semester GPA. With that said, you are a lock at every school Harvard and down.

But the difference between your 3.57 and 3.63 is pretty negligible at these schools, I believe they will still place you under their 25% for GPA. So I wouldn't bother waiting, especially if your addendum is legitimate. Your LSAT puts you up ere in a select few AA UrMs so like I said, you are set

Asking them to hold is a good idea. I figured the difference isn't much but 3.6 seemed to be relatively important threshold on LSN. Idk, just making stuff up now.

Wormfather wrote:There is nothing in your app that's going to be as powerful as being an AA with a 173. Half of the t14 will probably waitlist you because they're afraid you'll reject them.

Thanks, very encouraging. Wish I hadn't had that one bad semester though. Hopefully the addendum helps.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm

If you really want to make yourself a clear auto admit at all of the T-14, you could take a bunch of extra classes at a community college to obtain easy A's. I wish I would have done this. Boosting your GPA even more from where you are at right now would make the money thrown at you even greater than it already is going to be because of the LSAT. All of these grades would be factored into your GPA--- but this is only true BEFORE you get granted your college degree. If your goal isn't to be a Supreme Justice, academia or something along those lines that the YHS prestige would help you acquire, then you could make yourself a very attractive candidate for full rides in the rest of the T-14. A full ride from Columbia, Chicago, NYU or Penn could arguably be better than $150K in debt from YHS. It all depends on your goals. If you consider doing this, I would shoot for a 3.8+. Taking all of those extra classes would really blow though, because you will be stressing out about obtaining A's in all of them.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:If you really want to make yourself a clear auto admit at all of the T-14, you could take a bunch of extra classes at a community college to obtain easy A's. I wish I would have done this. Boosting your GPA even more from where you are at right now would make the money thrown at you even greater than it already is going to be because of the LSAT. All of these grades would be factored into your GPA--- but this is only true BEFORE you get granted your college degree. If your goal isn't to be a Supreme Justice, academia or something along those lines that the YHS prestige would help you acquire, then you could make yourself a very attractive candidate for full rides in the rest of the T-14. A full ride from Columbia, Chicago, NYU or Penn could arguably be better than $150K in debt from YHS. It all depends on your goals. If you consider doing this, I would shoot for a 3.8+. Taking all of those extra classes would really blow though, because you will be stressing out about obtaining A's in all of them.

I'm already doing what you're mentioning. This semester I am taking 8 classes, some from community college. I plan on taking about 7-8 summer courses as well, many being 1 or 2 units. So I'm not going down without a fight at all. And I don't care about the stress.

But the three Fs from that semester weigh me down big time. The absolute highest I could get to would be a ~3.7 by February 2014 - after Fall 2013 and Winter 2014 semesters. But my maximum starting point applying in September is in the 3.55-3.6 range LSDAS calculated.

Unfortunately, my definite number one goals are academia and clerking. So I'm gunning for HYS very hard.

Academia, clerking, and HYS are why I busted my hump so bad to get the 173 LSAT. I just sincerely hope I'm not out at HYS because of the GPA.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Any other thoughts on whether to -
a. apply December with the improved GPA
b. apply September and amend with Fall grades
c. apply September and request HYS hold my application until Fall grades come in?

We're only talking HYS now.
Difference of ~.1 GPA.

Thanks.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm

mockingbirdlaw wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If you really want to make yourself a clear auto admit at all of the T-14, you could take a bunch of extra classes at a community college to obtain easy A's. I wish I would have done this. Boosting your GPA even more from where you are at right now would make the money thrown at you even greater than it already is going to be because of the LSAT. All of these grades would be factored into your GPA--- but this is only true BEFORE you get granted your college degree. If your goal isn't to be a Supreme Justice, academia or something along those lines that the YHS prestige would help you acquire, then you could make yourself a very attractive candidate for full rides in the rest of the T-14. A full ride from Columbia, Chicago, NYU or Penn could arguably be better than $150K in debt from YHS. It all depends on your goals. If you consider doing this, I would shoot for a 3.8+. Taking all of those extra classes would really blow though, because you will be stressing out about obtaining A's in all of them.

I'm already doing what you're mentioning. This semester I am taking 8 classes, some from community college. I plan on taking about 7-8 summer courses as well, many being 1 or 2 units. So I'm not going down without a fight at all. And I don't care about the stress.

But the three Fs from that semester weigh me down big time. The absolute highest I could get to would be a ~3.7 by February 2014 - after Fall 2013 and Winter 2014 semesters. But my maximum starting point applying in September is in the 3.55-3.6 range LSDAS calculated.

Unfortunately, my definite number one goals are academia and clerking. So I'm gunning for HYS very hard.

Academia, clerking, and HYS are why I busted my hump so bad to get the 173 LSAT. I just sincerely hope I'm not out at HYS because of the GPA.

Can you retroactively withdrawal the Fs? You said you had a very valid reason

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm

I would say choice B for Harvard and choice C for Yale and Stanford.

Not positive on this though.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Can you retroactively withdrawal the Fs? You said you had a very valid reason

Push real hard for this. If your reason is legit, it sounds like you should have been given a medical withdrawal in the first place.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 pm

OP, about how many total hours did you study for the LSAT? Thanks.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Can you retroactively withdrawal the Fs? You said you had a very valid reason

bernaldiaz wrote:Push real hard for this. If your reason is legit, it sounds like you should have been given a medical withdrawal in the first place.

In the process of trying to do that.

The medical issue wasn't mine. It was my single parent's. Attempted suicide, mental issues, etc.
I needed to pick up the financial and mental slack for the family. Worked three jobs, generally just depressed.

In any case, my UG is extremely strict so while I will try, the chances are slim. So I am not banking on it and am preparing for the most realistic/worst case situation.

Chances at HYS regardless?

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Wormfather wrote:Also, remember, there's no shame in burning yourself out with courses you wont get credit for from your degree granting insitution. Local CC giving a 2 week course on basket weaving in august. Get it. Online course in web surfing during spring break? Why not?

Actually, no, dont go that far, Yale will not approve and seeing as how you're locked at H, not worth it.

Yeah, I'm doing this anyway to max out my GPA. Talked about it a bit above:

mockingbirdlaw wrote:This semester I am taking 8 classes, some from community college. I plan on taking about 7-8 summer courses as well, many being 1 or 2 units. So I'm not going down without a fight at all. And I don't care about the stress.

You actually think I'm locked at H?
So I should apply early to H with the 3.57 GPA and then amend with Fall grades?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm

You lucky bastard lol. You really don't need to apply anywhere other than HYS Columbia and Chicago--especially with the way apps are down. I suppose if there is another top 14 you have an affinity for you could apply and consider going there with a full ride--but I would recommend against attending any non HYS. In addition, I think you have a good shot at Yale assuming you have a good personal statement and are somewhat interesting.

And you're beyond locked at H. You are straight up auto admit there.

Wait a minute are you male or female? If you're male you have a REALLY good shot at Yale. And it's just not worth the fees to apply anywhere other than HYS CC and MAYBE one more top 14 if you are.

mockingbirdlaw

Postby mockingbirdlaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 pm

BruceWayne wrote:You lucky bastard lol. You really don't need to apply anywhere other than HYS Columbia and Chicago--especially with the way apps are down. I suppose if there is another top 14 you have an affinity for you could apply and consider going there with a full ride--but I would recommend against attending any non HYS. In addition, I think you have a good shot at Yale assuming you have a good personal statement and are somewhat interesting.

Wait a minute are you male or female? If you're male you have a REALLY good shot at Yale. And it's just not worth the fees to apply anywhere other than HYS CC and MAYBE one more top 14 if you are.

I knew I loved Batman for a reason lol

I am indeed male. Not quite sure how I'm locked at H with a ~3.6 but that's encouraging. Thanks a bunch.

I'll throw apps to Berkeley and Cornell as well because I like NorCal and Ithaca.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

URM, that's how. Totally different pools of competition.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

mockingbirdlaw wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You lucky bastard lol. You really don't need to apply anywhere other than HYS Columbia and Chicago--especially with the way apps are down. I suppose if there is another top 14 you have an affinity for you could apply and consider going there with a full ride--but I would recommend against attending any non HYS. In addition, I think you have a good shot at Yale assuming you have a good personal statement and are somewhat interesting.

I knew I loved Batman for a reason lol

I am indeed male. Not quite sure how I'm locked at H with a ~3.6 but that's encouraging. Thanks a bunch.

I'll throw apps to Berkeley and Cornell as well because I like NorCal and Ithaca.

I think you are more likely to be rejected from Berkeley than Harvard (not that you will get rejected there, I just always found them unpredictable). There is a thread in the Urm forum about blacks and law school by the numbers, basically assuming a normal curve, you have scored withing the top 15 or so AA. You are in an elite class, especially since you are not hurting anyone's lsat median. You are seriously a lock for money at any school you want. If you write an essay saying you really do want a school, they will take you. Your safeties are berk and Cornell, assuming you do not defecate yourself and start crying during your Harvard interview and cursing the world, I would say your a lock there too. Furthermore, with knowledge of your background, it sounds like you would get substantial need based aid at HYS. So, like it was said earlier, enjoy HYS.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am

Inferring from your situation -- you had to pick up the financial slack for your family at one point -- it sounds like you'll be receiving healthy need-based aid packages from HYS as well. Congrats bro, you're in a great spot but it sounds like you've earned it.

Return to “What are my chances?”