169/2.98 with valid GPA addendum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
keyanaut

169/2.98 with valid GPA addendum

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 am

Hey guys,

Kind've freaking out because I just received a waitlist/acceptance for Spring 2014 to Baylor. I applied to these schools early Jan.

What do you think?

UT
SMU
Baylor
Berkeley
Georgetown

Where else should I apply? Safeties? Matches? Reach? Please help me.

My GPA addendum is that I was in a terrible car accident that maimed my face, forcing me to pause and quit my 2nd to last semester. The following semester I effectively took 36 hours to graduate on time (the classes from last semester + final semseter). It took a toll on my grades. If I didn't do this, I would have lost all my tuition money.

LSATSCORES2012

Re: 169/2.98 with valid GPA addendum

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 am

keyanaut wrote:Hey guys,

Kind've freaking out because I just received a waitlist/acceptance for Spring 2014 to Baylor. I applied to these schools early Jan.

What do you think?

UT
SMU
Baylor
Berkeley
Georgetown

My GPA addendum is that I was in a terrible car accident that maimed my face, forcing me to pause and quit my 2nd to last semester. The following semester I effectively took 36 hours to graduate on time (the classes from last semester + final semseter). It took a toll on my grades. If I didn't do this, I would have lost all my tuition money.

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but congratulations on the great LSAT score! I would hope that in a situation like yours, law schools would be willing to look past the GPA.

Congrats on getting in to Baylor. Have you considered retaking, though? One more point on the LSAT would probably give you a decent shot at Northwestern or ED at UVA.

I don't know how schools will evaluate your situation, because I do think it's a good reason for your GPA, but regarding the schools you specified here's an analysis based purely on your numbers:

UT - Out
SMU - In (with scholarship money)
Baylor - In, as you already know
Berkeley - Out (though if they're as hollistic as they say they are you've probably got a shot)
Georgetown - Out

Other schools you might want to consider:

University of Minnesota (likely in with a scholarship)
University of Washington
Notre Dame
Washington U
Washington and Lee
Indiana University
UH (since you seem interested in Texas schools)

If you retake, also consider: ED at UVA, Penn, Northwestern

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
keyanaut wrote:Hey guys,

What do you think?

UT
SMU
Baylor
Berkeley
Georgetown

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but congratulations on the great LSAT score! I would hope that in a situation like yours, law schools would be willing to look past the GPA.

Congrats on getting in to Baylor. Have you considered retaking, though? One more point on the LSAT would probably give you a decent shot at Northwestern or ED at UVA.

I don't know how schools will evaluate your situation, because I do think it's a good reason for your GPA, but regarding the schools you specified here's an analysis based purely on your numbers:

UT - Out
SMU - In (with scholarship money)
Baylor - In, as you already know
Berkeley - Out (though if they're as hollistic as they say they are you've probably got a shot)
Georgetown - Out

Other schools you might want to consider:

University of Minnesota (likely in with a scholarship)
University of Washington
Notre Dame
Washington U
Washington and Lee
Indiana University
UH (since you seem interested in Texas schools)

If you retake, also consider: ED at UVA, Penn, Northwestern

Thanks for the kind words.

Retaking isn't an option. Already used up my tests. Is it weird that I got accepted for Spring only at Baylor? I thought I'd be in at Fall with a ton of money. Or is it just because they truly didn't have as much room. Thanks for your suggestions. Also, do you think I don't have any chance at UT? I ask this because of this years application numbers being lower + my GPA addendum and decent LSAT make me think I have a small chance. Lastly, how much money do you think at SMU? I really would like to get in/go there.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 am

Are you a TX resident?

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 am

Yep

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 am

So why are you freaking out and looking for more schools?

You have some chance at UT, but it doesn't look good for you (maybe 3-5%?). Maybe 50k at SMU?Nothing we say is going to change the outcome, though.

As for schools, you could consider Vandy (next year), maybe Tulane this year for scholarship negotiation, although you'll probably get a better deal from SMU.

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:20 am

I freaked out because it seemed crazy that Baylor would defer me to spring 2014. It was supposed to be a safety.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 am

Don't go to Baylor, it's awful. Problem solved.

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 am

lol

Return to “What are my chances?”