3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wanttolearn
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 pm

3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby wanttolearn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 pm

I am considering law school in a few years and would like some opinions from you guys. I started college off strong, then had a bit of a snag where I was depressed for a couple years, then finished strong in the final semester, coming back from 3.3 GPAs to a 4.0. Next year I am starting full time work at Goldman Sachs doing investment banking, where I plan to work for a couple of years, and then maybe go to a hedge fund or private equity. Perhaps after Goldman, however, I will want to go to law school. My cumulative GPA will be a 3.6 or so (maybe a bit higher), and I got a 172 on the LSAT.

All of this taken together, could you guys handicap the chances of an applicant such as myself getting into HYS and the top 14? For reference, I am a white male. Will I want to explain my GPA situation in the app?

Thanks!

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

HYS is probably out of the question, but I bet you'd get a few T-14 bites (e.g. Northwestern).

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 pm

YSH are out. Probably out at Columbia. Good shot at NYU. Decent shot at Chi. Youll probably get 1 or 2 of MVP. Probably 3 or 4 of DNGC

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:12 pm

I disagree with Nova about Columbia but agree with the rest. Nobody has been rejected with your numbers from CLS in the last two cycles (7 admit, 1 reject), and only 3 out of 41 have been flat out rejected since 2007. Probably out at Berkeley because they are GPA whores but good shot at everywhere else. Should get a good amount of money at some of the lower T14.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby jkpolk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

nebula666 wrote:I disagree with Nova about Columbia but agree with the rest. Nobody has been rejected with your numbers from CLS in the last two cycles (7 admit, 1 reject), and only 3 out of 41 have been flat out rejected since 2007. Probably out at Berkeley because they are GPA whores but good shot at everywhere else. Should get a good amount of money at some of the lower T14.


He'll likely catch the permanent waitlist at CLS - i.e. rejected

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 pm

polkij333 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:I disagree with Nova about Columbia but agree with the rest. Nobody has been rejected with your numbers from CLS in the last two cycles (7 admit, 1 reject), and only 3 out of 41 have been flat out rejected since 2007. Probably out at Berkeley because they are GPA whores but good shot at everywhere else. Should get a good amount of money at some of the lower T14.


He'll likely catch the permanent waitlist at CLS - i.e. rejected


http://myLSN.info/qtua7v

To be fair, a few of these were ED and it's a small sample size, but the drop in applications is definitely going to help OP's chances at CLS.

wanttolearn
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby wanttolearn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 am

Ok thanks follow up question- is it looked down upon in any way if LSAT scores aren't really fresh i.e. a year or so old? So, if scores are about 2 or 4 years old, as could be the situation in my case, is that discounted in any way whatsoever?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 am

Nah

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby megagnarley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm

If your app is good you should be in at NYU down with a good shot at CLS and excluding Berkley because they DGAF about the LSAT.

Rejoice.

wanttolearn
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby wanttolearn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I appreciate the responses. Another quick follow up question- at what point do law schools stop caring about my 3.6 GPA? With age and great work experience, does it become meaningless? I mean lets say just for fun that I happened to get a job being Obama's aide or something, and he writes a great LoC. Would that and a decent LSAT trump a 3.6 GPA at Harvard or Yale?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

double
Last edited by Rahviveh on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

wanttolearn wrote:I appreciate the responses. Another quick follow up question- at what point do law schools stop caring about my 3.6 GPA? With age and great work experience, does it become meaningless? I mean lets say just for fun that I happened to get a job being Obama's aide or something, and he writes a great LoC. Would that and a decent LSAT trump a 3.6 GPA at Harvard or Yale?


I think that's the sort of thing which could help. Something extraordinary. Also, you'd have a non-zero chance at Harvard with a higher LSAT score that would help them overlook a 3.6.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

wanttolearn wrote:I appreciate the responses. Another quick follow up question- at what point do law schools stop caring about my 3.6 GPA? With age and great work experience, does it become meaningless? I mean lets say just for fun that I happened to get a job being Obama's aide or something, and he writes a great LoC. Would that and a decent LSAT trump a 3.6 GPA at Harvard or Yale?


Softs are more used to compare people with the same numbers. Only some amazing softs (military, actual rec from POTUS) would make you jump a person in front of you with a better LSAt, GPA or both. There is not much you could do to give yourself a shot at HYS with a 3.6 (non URM).

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby boblawlob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:32 pm

nebula666 wrote:I disagree with Nova about Columbia but agree with the rest. Nobody has been rejected with your numbers from CLS in the last two cycles (7 admit, 1 reject), and only 3 out of 41 have been flat out rejected since 2007. Probably out at Berkeley because they are GPA whores but good shot at everywhere else. Should get a good amount of money at some of the lower T14.

ED to CLS.

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: 3.6 GPA and 172 LSAT

Postby Borg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

My guess is in at CLS on down, WL to rejection at Harvard, straight rejections at Yale and Stanford. Might get significant scholarships at some T-14s too.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234 and 3 guests