3.5/163/Military

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JCGibson10

3.5/163/Military

Postby JCGibson10 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Thought I'd make a thread to see if I could get any valid feedback. I am an Active Duty Army Officer that was recently selected for the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP), which means that I will maintain Active Duty status while at law school and become a JAG officer upon graduation/passing the bar.

LSDAS GPA: 3.48 (USMA at West Point, not sure if this will give a slight bump or not)
LSAT: 163 (only took it one time (October 2011) and am currently deployed to Afghanistan so I couldn't retake)
Military Experience: 3 years active in May 2013, currently in Afghanistan. Does fact that I will have a guaranteed job as an Army JAG upon graduation gives me a bump or not?
Outstanding LORs: 2 from College, 2 from my Chain-of-Command
Personal Statement revolved around my deployment. Let's assume that it is "great" for the sake of discussion.

As of now, I have been accepted to Arkansas (safety) and Wake Forest (24k/yr scholly). My applications went under review between January 4th-January 9th. What are my chances at the following schools?

University of Alabama
University of Georgia (My top choice.. so if any one has any insight into UGA admission, it would be much appreciated)
University of Notre Dame
University of Columbia (I know that I am a HUGE stretch...mainly applied because they gave me a Waiver)

Appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Re: 3.5/163/Military

Postby 052220151 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 pm

JCGibson10 wrote:Thought I'd make a thread to see if I could get any valid feedback. I am an Active Duty Army Officer that was recently selected for the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP), which means that I will maintain Active Duty status while at law school and become a JAG officer upon graduation/passing the bar.

LSDAS GPA: 3.48 (USMA at West Point, not sure if this will give a slight bump or not)
LSAT: 163 (only took it one time (October 2011) and am currently deployed to Afghanistan so I couldn't retake)
Military Experience: 3 years active in May 2013, currently in Afghanistan. Does fact that I will have a guaranteed job as an Army JAG upon graduation gives me a bump or not?
Outstanding LORs: 2 from College, 2 from my Chain-of-Command
Personal Statement revolved around my deployment. Let's assume that it is "great" for the sake of discussion.

As of now, I have been accepted to Arkansas (safety) and Wake Forest (24k/yr scholly). My applications went under review between January 4th-January 9th. What are my chances at the following schools?

University of Alabama
University of Georgia (My top choice.. so if any one has any insight into UGA admission, it would be much appreciated)
University of Notre Dame
University of Columbia (I know that I am a HUGE stretch...mainly applied because they gave me a Waiver)

Appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Are you saying you have a guaranteed JAG job upon completion? If so, go to whichever school is cheapest for you. As for as the others, you would need to retake when you get back.

JCGibson10

Postby JCGibson10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 am

deputydog wrote:
Are you saying you have a guaranteed JAG job upon completion? If so, go to whichever school is cheapest for you. As for as the others, you would need to retake when you get back.

Yep. I am guaranteed a JAG job upon completion. As it stands now, though, my offer is only good for this cycle. Another good thing about the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP) is that it pays tuition/tuition-related expenses with a cap of $35,000 (I am not allowed to pay-out-of-pocket/take loans, so I can only go to a school if tuition and scholarships bring me below $35,000).

I'm just below medians at Georgia and Alabama. I'm thinking (okay, let's be honest, hoping) that the military "soft" will make up the difference. Am I delusional?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:56 am

JCGibson10 wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Yep. I am guaranteed a JAG job upon completion. As it stands now, though, my offer is only good for this cycle. Another good thing about the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP) is that it pays tuition/tuition-related expenses with a cap of $35,000 (I am not allowed to pay-out-of-pocket/take loans, so I can only go to a school if tuition and scholarships bring me below $35,000).

I'm just below medians at Georgia and Alabama. I'm thinking (okay, let's be honest, hoping) that the military "soft" will make up the difference. Am I delusional?

Is this per year or total? If it's total I would be worried about whether a school will give you enough of a scholarship to cover the difference. Hopefully someone else can tell me I'm wrong.

JCGibson10

Postby JCGibson10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 am

eric922 wrote:Is this per year or total? If it's total I would be worried about whether a school will give you enough of a scholarship to cover the difference. Hopefully someone else can tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry for the confusion. It is per year. So I am eligible for virtually every public school and would need scholarship $$ for most private.

JCGibson10

Postby JCGibson10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 am

kappycaft1 wrote:No, you are not delusional. Stress the fact that you will have a job because then they won't have to worry about you being a potential threat to their employment numbers upon graduation. :wink:

Thanks for the input. I put an addendum into my application that explains FLEP and how I will be a JAG upon graduation/passing the bar. I also talked about becoming a JAG at the end of my PS.

jjcioffi

Postby jjcioffi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Just wondering if you have heard from all schools and which you decided on. I am planning to apply for FLEP this fall with a 3.47 from Boston University. I'm taking the October LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”