$$$ vs. Rank

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mauryballstein

$$$ vs. Rank

Postby mauryballstein » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 am

Last edited by mauryballstein on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

nebula666

Re: $$$ vs. Rank

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

You'll get almost $90k at NU and at least $50k from Cornell and GULC. You will have $30-40k at MVP and Duke and NYU.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 am

Sacrificing rank for money is quite common. Whether or not it's a good idea depends on the schools. As an example:
Giving up Columbia to attend NYU on a scholarship is a good idea
Giving up Columbia to attend NYLS on a scholarship is a really dumb idea

Apply to the schools you're interested in, see what the offers are (and whether you can negotiate), then come back and ask the question

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 am

In your case I would blanket the T14 minus HYS and then add in UT (if you want to work in Texas), Vandy (if you want to work in the south) or USC/UCLA (if you want to work in CA). You'll get someone to bite with a significant scholarship. If you have significant work experience, NU could be close to a full ride.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 am

dingbat wrote:Sacrificing rank for money is quite common. Whether or not it's a good idea depends on the schools. As an example:

Apply to the schools you're interested in, see what the offers are (and whether you can negotiate), then come back and ask the question

And when it's not as cut and dry a choice?

UCLA/USC/Vandy $ vs. Cornell/GULC
Cornell/GULC $ vs. Berkeley
Berkeley $ vs. Columbia

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 am

nebula666 wrote:In your case I would blanket the T14 minus HYS and then add in UT (if you want to work in Texas), Vandy (if you want to work in the south) or USC/UCLA (if you want to work in CA). You'll get someone to bite with a significant scholarship. If you have significant work experience, NU could be close to a full ride.

Might want to consider the regional powerhouse in the area you want to practice.
BU/BC if you want Boston, Minnesota for Minnesota, Washington for PNW, etc.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
dingbat wrote:Sacrificing rank for money is quite common. Whether or not it's a good idea depends on the schools. As an example:

And when it's not as cut and dry a choice?

Berkeley $ vs. Columbia

Depends on money and goals. I'd take UCLA over GULC even without money if the goal is southern California and Cornel > Berkeley for the east coast.

Hence why I told OP to apply first, then ask again once offers have been received.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:And when it's not as cut and dry a choice?

Berkeley $ vs. Columbia

We usually use one $ sign to indicate 1/4 tuition or less. If that's what you mean: Cornell, Berkeley, and Columbia, respectively. (Assuming you don't know where you want to practice. See dingbat's post.)

If you mean on a full ride: UCLA/Vandy, Cornell, and Berkeley, respectively, almost regardless of where you want to work.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am

nebula666 wrote:You'll get almost $90k at NU and at least $50k from Cornell and GULC. You will have $30-40k at MVP and Duke and NYU.

I wouldn't count on any of this. Scholarships can be especially hard to predict.

OP, all you can do is apply throughout the T-14 (and perhaps a little lower) and see what happens. Historically, people with your numbers go to a school in the highest ranking tier into which they are accepted (definitions of these "tiers" will vary), unless they have unique career goals, because lower ranked schools don't have a lot of incentive to give big money to splitters.

mauryballstein

Postby mauryballstein » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am

Last edited by mauryballstein on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:54 am

mauryballstein wrote:A follow-up question: Then would I stand to gain anything by applying ED to a T-14? Forgetting about money for a second, how much would that help my chances at schools like at Penn, Columbia, and NYU? (Those are my top three, for reasons primarily related to location.) Is it safe to say I'd get into at least one RD, or is that wishful thinking?

And then: How does applying ED affect what kind of money you get? It seems to be that it would be advantageous for a school to offer you none, considering you're already committed. Or is that not how most schools operate?

It's a crap-shoot if you'd get into any of those schools. your LSAT is great, but your GPA is low, and none of those schools are known for being splitter friendly. On the other hand, with the drop in applicants, they might be a lot more forgiving. EDing could give you a boost, but you might want to roll the dice in RD because:

Because those schools have binding ED, they're not as generous with ED as with RD. Some schools are more generous with their EDs (UVA is a prime example), but, really, what incentive do they have to give money to someone who cannot go to any other law school?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 am

Lawschoolnumbers.com

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am

dingbat wrote:Some schools are more generous with their EDs (UVA is a prime example)

Can you elaborate? I'm about to start begging UVA for post-ED cash and I hadn't heard that they were particularly generous.

rad lulz wrote:Lawschoolnumbers.com

GTFO, Grizz. Doesn't even make sense ITT.
Last edited by North on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:07 am

North wrote:
dingbat wrote:Some schools are more generous with their EDs (UVA is a prime example)

Can you elaborate? I'm about to start begging UVA for post-ED cash and I hadn't heard that they were particularly generous.
I can't, because I didn't look into UVA. I just heard about it (on TLS)
North wrote:

He's a one-trick pony in the on-topics. Don't waste your breath

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 am

North wrote:

mauryballstein wrote:So: What's the best school I stand a reasonable chance of getting into? What's the best school I could get into with a fair amount of money (say, 10K/yr and up)?

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am

dingbat wrote:
North wrote:

I can't, because I didn't look into UVA. I just heard about it (on TLS)

Gotcha. Time for some research, then.

dingbat wrote:He's a one-trick pony in the on-topics. Don't waste your breath

Oh, I know.

rad lulz wrote:
mauryballstein wrote:So: What's the best school I stand a reasonable chance of getting into? What's the best school I could get into with a fair amount of money (say, 10K/yr and up)?

The schtick is old, dude. Bump up your post count in the lounge.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am

North wrote:The schtick is old, dude. Bump up your post count in the lounge.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

rad lulz wrote:

That's a pretty small sample size on LSN. I think the topic was justified.

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 am

rad lulz wrote:

Let the new generation of on-topic megaposters handle it. It's still new and exciting for us. Just chill in the lounge, dude, you've put in your time.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 pm

North wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Let the new generation of on-topic megaposters handle it. It's still new and exciting for us. Just chill in the lounge, dude, you've put in your time.

As annoying as rad lulz can be at times, he's right here.

(1) People should learn to research this stuff on their own. Folks here will need to be doing this for the rest of their life.

(2) The "new generation" of on-topic megaposters are full of awful advice. Some of the advice offered in this thread was OK, and some of it completely missed the mark.

For example, if OP really want to limit debt retaking would be best. OP's GPA only keeps him out of HYS, and a 75th percentile or above LSAT would give him a real shot at serious money, especially at CCN.

(3) The ED advice is a little off-kilter. OP should not entertain EDing because it would eliminate the ability to bargain with schools and negotiate aid. Very few people should ED. (I'd say the only EDs that are worth it are NU and UVA, and UVA only if it is your only good shot at getting into a T14.)

(4) People improperly extrapolate based on their own cycles/past decisions. This wouldn't be bad, but many TLSers didn't make the best choices during the admissions process. If folks were more retrospective and kept up with the changes in cycles and entertained the idea that they could have done better, they'd give better advice. Because they don't, telling someone to use lawschoolnumbers is probably the best call.

HTH

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm

hibiki wrote:As annoying as rad lulz can be at times, he's right here.
[...]
HTH

His only contribution ITT was

so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The rest of your post is solid. That's what OP was looking for and what the on-topics need more of, not RL's useless, one-line bullshit.
Last edited by North on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm

North wrote:
hibiki wrote:As annoying as rad lulz can be at times, he's right here.
[...]
HTH

His only contribution ITT was

so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The rest of your post is solid. That's what OP was looking for and what the on-topics need more of, not RL's useless, one-line bullshit.

TBH, checking LSN is probably more worthwhile than my entire post. That's what I was getting at.

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm

hibiki wrote:TBH, checking LSN is probably more worthwhile than my entire post. That's what I was getting at.

See, that's where I disagree. OP's issue isn't so cut and dry that a once-over of LSN could answer all his questions. With a 3.4 and a 173, OP is in an interesting grey area where he is looking at good money from UT and Vandy, some money from N, C, & G, and sticker at MVP. What should OP do? It's a hard question. The answer depends on a whole lot more information than is contained in LSN. That's why he made a thread -- to hear the debate. I was in a similar situation and watching TLS go back and forth on debt v. job prospects among the same range of schools as OP helped me figure out what I valued most. LSN couldn't have done much to help. TLS did. Both sites are tremendously valuable, but they're good for different things.

Really, though, I'm just fucking tired of the first post in every one of these threads being

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:26 pm

nebula666 wrote:In your case I would blanket the T14 minus HYS and then add in UT (if you want to work in Texas), Vandy (if you want to work in the south) or USC/UCLA (if you want to work in CA). You'll get someone to bite with a significant scholarship. If you have significant work experience, NU could be close to a full ride.

This is WAAAAYYYY too optimistic. What are you basing this on? Close to a full ride at NW? Um no.

OP is competitive for what looks to be around 45-60k at the lower-T14, so no need to ED here unless you have some particular reason for being at Penn, UVA or NYU.

CLS and Chicago are probably WL/out.

Return to “What are my chances?”